cave

Bring bright flashlights for every person who visits. Use the bathroom before you go. Mind the limited hours and days because you can only visit when it's staffed and open. Dress for warmth in 42 degrees fahrenheit even in the summer - it's ALWAYS that temperature! I have been to the Lava River Cave several times over the years. This review is for my favorite time in July 2007 when I went with my 3 best friends from high school. It was a blast! My friend Jim and I climbed to the upper tube in one area - a considerable challenge. The length is inaccurate on AllTrails. It is just over a mile to the end of the cave, so 2 miles out and back. Of course you don't have to go all the way to the end. There are points where the tube is very cramped (you have to bend over or even crawl) while other places it is huge, with the ceiling towering overhead. The cave is a rather crowded touristy area with a manned booth and various rules, but that can actually help it feel "safer" or less "creepy." There are other less known and less crowded caves around, but this is a good one to take visitors who are new to the area.