Lava River Cave Trail

Lava River Cave Trail is a 0.1 mile out and back trail located near Bend, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

cave

Unique! Bring a very bright light, a tissue or two and wear a warm coat. Cave ventures back about a mile and a sign notifies you when to stop. Be aware not to wear any other clothes that you've worn in other caves. Definitely worth seeing!

I came to the lava river cave 7/7/18 for my cousin's birthday and bachelorette get away and it was fun but it can get busy and they only let so much people go in because it's a cave.

the reason I rate this hike 3/5 because I like to see my surroundings, just because I like to look at things as I hike. this was also my first cave hike and for me, I would say that it was a good first time experience but I wouldn't come to bend again just for this hike because I'm not a cave hiker. but I would rather go to an outdoor hike out in bend instead :)

also before coming to this hike, bring your own flashlight so you wouldn't have to buy or rent a mediocre flashlight that cost $10. bring a sweater or jacket, it is cold inside the cave. and be prepared, you have to go through an orientation before going inside the cave, and there might be a line going inside the cave.

Bring bright flashlights for every person who visits. Use the bathroom before you go. Mind the limited hours and days because you can only visit when it's staffed and open. Dress for warmth in 42 degrees fahrenheit even in the summer - it's ALWAYS that temperature! I have been to the Lava River Cave several times over the years. This review is for my favorite time in July 2007 when I went with my 3 best friends from high school. It was a blast! My friend Jim and I climbed to the upper tube in one area - a considerable challenge. The length is inaccurate on AllTrails. It is just over a mile to the end of the cave, so 2 miles out and back. Of course you don't have to go all the way to the end. There are points where the tube is very cramped (you have to bend over or even crawl) while other places it is huge, with the ceiling towering overhead. The cave is a rather crowded touristy area with a manned booth and various rules, but that can actually help it feel "safer" or less "creepy." There are other less known and less crowded caves around, but this is a good one to take visitors who are new to the area.

Wow wow wow!!! Super cool hike with the family. The lava cave is like no other cave we have been to. Really cold and dark! Def rent the lanterns there. Been inside
The cave is like being locked inside the fridge.
Also wear clothes that you haven’t worn in another cave or mine. This is to prevent spreading a fungus called “white nose” that is killing bats.
A must while in Bend this summer :-)

No dogs allowed

Very novice cave, easy for the whole family! I would recommend a good light. They rent lanterns. You have to go through an “orientation” before you enter to Learn of the bats and the white nose syndrome but it’s short. GO EARLY because by the time we left there were lots of people. If you want to see it before you go, there is a short video I posted on my YouTube. Copy and paste the link below!

Loved it. Was pretty cold around 45-50 degrees in the cave. Kids enjoyed every minute until they got a little cold but still loved it.

This is a great mile long cave exploration. It is also established and safe. Be sure to respect the bats and learn about white nose syndrome.

Here is a video I made on the place:

It is DARK! Rent the light they have if possible, because even a Mag light didn't cut it. We made it to the sand gardens before I started thinking the next time I put my beam up, I'd see Pennywise. The sound of dripping water made this much worse. However, my 3 year old, and 17 month old loved the rocks, and the cave ceiling. I scare easily. Still worth the walk into the cave.

Ride our bikes from Sunriver up Cottonwood Drive to get here. Recommend mountain bikes or road bikes but no BMX or beach cruisers as it is almost all uphill getting there. If you've been in any caves in the last 10 years you will be screened for white nose fungus that kills bats. Bring a good lantern or flashlight that will last for a 2 mile walk through a dark cave ($5 rental onsite). It's a constant 42 degrees inside, so if you get cold easily bring a light coat or fleece. You will also need a Recreation pass or the Interagency National Park pass is accepted also.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Easy hike for a long cave. Is extremely crowded however.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Amazing two mile round trip hike into a cathedral-esque cave. I definitely recommend either renting the flashlights they provide or bringing an extremely powerful one of your one. Wear proper footing and layers

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Fun cave hike. 1 mile in, 1 mile out. Very crowded the first 1/8 of a mile with families and such, but then the crowds dwindle and it's a very cool, easy, level hike that is very wide for the majority of the trail. Guides were nice and helpful. They provide flashlights for about $5

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Dress for the cold! It's an easy hike but a long, dark, bathroom-less trip for the little ones. Our 7 and 9 year olds loved it. Wear a headlamp, hat, and gloves if you want to make it all the way. It's worth it!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

We went in May, I like exploring lava tubes, caves so we had fun. only negative is it was cold and wet inside so wear extra layers :)

Saturday, October 15, 2016

FYI! A lot of reviews and websites say that the bat hibernation closure is in November. I am here now. October 1 it closes. So any out there looking for a rain day activity this will not be it . Good luck. It made me put star rating on it. I didn't want to as I haven't seen it

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Pretty cool place to visit. It's definitely chilly in the cave so long sleeves/sweatshirt is a must. I would also bring a hat and even gloves if you get cold like me. When we went it was 42 degrees in the cave. To truly enjoy the cave you will either want a good flashlight or rent one for $4. I recommend each person having their own so they can look around. I'm claustrophobic but the cave was very open surprisingly.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Pretty cool! I was surprised at how big and open it was . It was dark ,so make sure you have a good flashlight. It was also colder than I thought it would be.Next time I will take more time to look around . Slip on shoes not a good idea ( people actually wore flip flops) . Fun!

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

BEES - lots of them in the warmer months of summer, just before you enter the cave.

Lots of fun! Good for family. They supply you with headlamps, but it's still a good idea to bring your own flashlights.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

This is a very cool trek down a lava tube. In many places the ceiling is very high with nice views of different geologic formations. Wear warm clothes and bring a good headlamp unless you prefer to rent one from the site.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Fun for the enjoyment of hiking through a former lava tube! No features like the Oregon caves or more famous Carlsbad caverns. Ok for kids that walk comfortably. No strollers and several spots where having an 18 month old in back carrier required waddling to get under low overhangs.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Make sure you wear warm clothes. Awesome!

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Very fun, easy hike. Bring flashlights! During the few summer visits I've made here, there was a small swarm of bees at the entrance, though nobody in my party got stung.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Easy hike. Great to save for rainy days....Don't forget lights and if you do, you can still rent them. Entry checkpoint is open till 4pm.

Friday, June 20, 2014

very simple cave not much going on.

Friday, May 02, 2014

Today was the second day of the 2014 season that this cave is open. It's very busy with tourists because it is so accessable but that won't take away from the experience. This is a huge, high ceiling lava tube and the entire length of the hike does not require you to stoop, crawl or squeeze through tight spots. It's cold enough in there that you can see your breath and you will need a jacket and obviously flashlights. It now costs $5 to rent a lantern. We did fine with a battery powered headlamp and a hand cranked flashlight.

Monday, July 08, 2013

Literally a 1-mile walk through a cave. Super awesome and a great family activity. Awesome opportunities to learn about the cave ecosystem and the surrounding areas. Near Sunriver, very crowded. It is a very popular tourist spot and there are always a ton of people there. $5 per vehicle and you can rent lanterns there.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

This was a cool hike in a cave. Bring as much light as possible.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

This is a pretty easy and fun lava tube hiking experience. It is a large tube and there isn't much ducking required. It is cold inside so it could be easy to forget to bring a jacket if it's hot up top. You can rent a lantern for $5 or use your own lights and head off on your self guided tour.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Had a great time hear. It is super dark in there so I definitely recommend a high powered flash light or renting a latern. We had dinky little LED flashlights and a head lamp which only let us see about 2 feet in front of our face. It was a pretty cool cave and very spacious inside. It's very cold so dress warm if you go.