Larch Mountain Trail

Larch Mountain Trail is a 13.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bridal Veil, Oregon that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,861 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trailhead has a nice, large parking lot which requires a $5 (cash!) fee or a recreation pass. However, if you park on the side of the road before the trailhead you don't have to cough up the $5. There was a Candyman-esque bathroom shack in the picnic area, but we didn't venture in to check them out.

Interesting and ever changing landscapes that include waterfalls, merging streams, bridges, rocks, rain forest, burnt forest and mossy forest. It’s a mild ascent to the top but in today’s wet conditions it was a grind and each mile was mental. Nonetheless it’s an enjoyable long distance out and back.

Great hike 1/2 from top was in snow about 6”

Totally socked in with fog and snow. Couldn't see anything. Beautiful alpine hike though!

Surprise! This hike is almost 16 miles round trip from Multnomah Lodge. Not 13.

This was a great morning hike. It was pretty easy once you pass the 11 switchbacks up to the falls. It can be a little muddy and slippery so plan accordingly. It's also a good idea to wear something water resistant in case of mist from the falls or dripping moss.

We hiked from Multnomah fall to Sherrard point. There were a couple of small streams that run across the trail - waterproof boots are a must. A few fallen trees straddle across the trail. The last 2 miles were covered in 1-2 inches of snow, but doesn't require microspikes (it started to snow about 2 miles from the top). There view at the top was obscured by cloud. Finally, there is a fallen tree blocking one of the arm of the loop around the summit, but this was easily circumvented.

I hiked to Sherrard Point from the Wahkeena Falls trailhead yesterday. That route is 16 miles out and back. There was no ice, but there were patches of snow close to the picnic area on Larch Mountain. You can walk around most of it. I brought microspikes, but I didn’t use them. There is a big tree blocking the trail at the beginning of the picnic area. Several other smaller trees have also fallen over the trail, but are easy to climb over. Make sure you wear very warm attire this time of year. I wore 5 layers and I was warm the first couple hours, but as I got near the top of the trail I began to feel very cold. And of course drinking cold water doesn’t help the situation.

Warning: BRING MICROSPIKES. Did this hike yesterday and on the way back the trail was almost completely covered in ice. I was slipping and sliding, pretty terrifying. Microspikes helped a ton. Badass hike nonetheless. Very challenging but so worth it (especially on a clear day).

what. a. STUNNER. This trail takes care of you the whole way up; even with all that gain I never felt like I was climbing stairs. (except, you know, the actual stairs at the end.) Viewpoint was just phenomenal and the journey was worthwhile and very achievable.

Perfect weather, clear skies, great views!

Very well maintained. No snow. Great views of peaks at the top!

nice hike. grade is good.

beautiful trail, but lot of traffic today. Trail was in good shape and easy to identify.

A few low trees that took some work to get around and quite a bit of overgrowth. All in, stellar.

Amazing hike! Lots of wild berries and more mushrooms than I have seen in a while, including Lobster mushrooms and Chicken of the Woods. Variety of different landscapes as you climb to the top.

Excellent trail. Started from Multnomah Falls early in the morning and there were not many people there. Some rough terrain. Rocky, muddy at times, and plenty of waterfalls to see. Grade can get steep but that makes it all the more fun!

Fun hike with lots of scenery. It’s not uses a lot and you can tell it’s a little overgrown.

I did this hike today for the first time starting from Multnomah Falls. It was a beautiful hike and easily one of my new favorites. It was long and strenuous, but rewarding. I loved all the huckleberries along the way, the little pikas, and seeing some old-growth trees. Hiking by the creek with waterfalls was refreshing. I started at 4 pm and it took me 5 hours so I got back just before dark. I’ll start in the morning next time.

Started at the Larch Mountain trailhead and went to the Vista and saw all 5 mountains. Headed down from there with my 8 and 9 year old. Made it to the upper platform of Multnomah with lots of breaks. The trail variety throughout was what I loved the most, wide smooth trails at the top, a variety of Rocky and switch backs in the middle. Next time I wont go below Oenetta falls. I enjoyed the peace and quiet and minimal interaction with people when outside of multnomah falls area.

Gorgeous trail! Fun waterfalls.