Koosah and Sahalie Falls Trail

Koosah and Sahalie Falls Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cascadia, Oregon that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This loop trail passes by two waterfalls on the McKenzie River. Sahalie Falls and Koosah Falls are located on the old "Clear Lake Cutoff" section of Highway 126. These falls mark the terminus of two thick flows of basaltic andesite lava that dammed Clear Lake and moved into the McKenzie River 3,000 years ago. The results are two breathtaking waterfalls with foaming white water cascades in between. The loop trail connects the two waterfalls and the McKenzie River National Recreation Trail, and offers up close views of the wild McKenzie River. Sahalie Falls viewpoint is fully accessible.

Aqua Blue! Clear Water Beautiful Falls, Good Hike

3/29/18 A beautiful day for a hike! Still snow on the trail but doable in trail runners. Beautiful views of crystal clear water and roaring waterfalls. Worth a stop for sure.

Great hike anytime. Both falls are beautiful.

Giant waterfalls where you can walk any distance from 0-20 miles. Good to view in the snow even, parking lot has been clear most of the time.

Here is a video of my time here:

With the dry winter Oregon is having I decided to venture over the pass to do this hike. It was well worth it, despite how short it is. The color of the water is magnificent this time of year and the lack of the crowds made it even better. There was even a light dusting of snow. I would not recommend attempting this hike in the winter without proper safety equipment in your car, the winter is not typical. The trail will always be fine, the roads may vary.

Definitely worth the hike. The hike is pretty easy and the waterfalls are incredible. Sahalie Falls is one of my all time favorites. The trail is heavily trafficked because of all the people passing by on the highway. Would definitely recommend it to anyone

I really enjoyed the car ride there but I wish the hike was longer. The waterfalls were worth it if your there for an easy hike.

Family-friendly hike. Very icy at the viewpoint for Sahalie Falls, otherwise slushy/snowy along the trail. Lots of visitors.

I went on this trail when there was still snow on the ground. It was gorgeous but a little difficult just because of the snow. It would be a super easy hike in the summer months.

Loved this hike! We decided to take it up a notch and hike down into the river and river walked down streams bit. The water is beautiful blue and fast and SUPER cold!!

I saw a picture that someone had posted on Instagram and knew I had to check this place out. I came out yo Oregon to visit family and my mom, boyfriend, and I stopped by on our way home from Portland. This definitely is a super easy hike but the views, to die for!

One of my favorite trails! Stunning falls, the air smells so sweet here, and we loved just sitting by quieter spots on the river. Really gorgeous the whole way!

Beautiful hike . Water is so Blue. The falls Amazing . Trails are good . Love this hike

Very easy trail. One of the most beautiful I've ever been on.

Super easy hike with wonderful views.

Beautiful waterfalls. Very easy trail. Very nice for an easy walk after a harder hike!

Super easy and very easy to figure out what is what and where to go. Just wish they had given a better marking once you reached the Reservoir to tell you that the trail for sure continues and loops back around. But other than that it was awesome. I am glad we had this app with the map to tell us to keep going.

Powerful falls in beautiful setting

Loved it, ended up doing two different trails. Easy trails, lots of dogs and families. The waterfalls are breathtaking. Hard not to capture amazing photos of this trail!

Butterfly migration all over those beautiful falls! Amazing!

Great hike. Beautiful views the whole way. Easy for kids.

Oh my gosh! We had the best time! Went for a hike with our two teenagers and it was the perfect blend of nature and adventure. We will definitely be back.

The Falls are gorgeous and the water is crystal blue. I fell in love with the views. It is a very short hike unless you hike up and around to the other side of the river. The Falls are only a five mile hike from Blue Pool so you can do two spots at once if you're up for a ten mile hike out and back!

The version of the trail I took (out-and-back) stays entirely on the Western side of the McKenzie river. I had already hiked that section solo as part of the McKenzie trail (from Trailbridge to Clear Lake and back) and wanted to share it with my wife who, due to knee issues, cannot do long distances.

While still relatively busy, this trail sees far less traffic than the Eastern section, right off the McKenzie highway. There is ample parking (plus one restroom structure) at the Carmen reservoir trailhead (short connector to the MckKenziee trails) and the complete out-and-back stands a bit under two miles.

The views of the falls are somewhat more obstructed than those from across the river but, for me, the relative 'privacy' of the experience more than makes up for it. The views of the river itself are, in my opinion, better and more intimate. Nevertheless, doing the complete loop as described on the Alltrails page, is certainly a very viable option.

There is a use trail a few hundred feet before Sahalie falls (coming from the Carmen reservoir) that gets you down to the river and just about at the foot of the falls. It is however a bit treacherous (slick, rocky, washed out...) and much caution is definitely required.

The main (McKenzie) trail is well maintained but inherently more 'technical' than the average forest trail as it winds its way through the lava flows; good shoes and attention to where you place your feet does help. There is a bit of elevation gain from the Carmen reservoir but the "climb" falls quite short of being strenuous. Finally, this is a mixed-use trails and a favorite of mountain bikers; you'll want to be on the lookout for fast moving Southbound 'objects'.

Absolutely stunning today with a lot of mist coming off both falls!

Beautiful waterfall & scenery.

Went down on the trail to right up to the waterfall. It was awesome!

Easy, beautiful trail. Spectacular falls.

nice clean trail. Very beautiful.