Kings Mountain Trail

Kings Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tillamook, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A steep and demanding trail that takes you up above Tillamook forest, providing spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and opening up to nearby Elk Mountain or other trails.

Such a good trail! Definitely expect to be climbing, lots of switchbacks, but it’s well maintained and the view was stunning at the top. Stopped by a small picnic table on the way back down to give my pup a short rest and eat a snack. Very dog friendly but i’d recommend your dog be in pretty good shape because it’s all straight uphill with almost no flat spaces to recover on.

Very steep trail that is more dangerous coming down than going up. Loose rock on the trail rolls easily under your feet. USE TREKKING POLES!

This is my second time on the Kings Mountain trail, my husband runs the Elk-Kings route routinely. The beginning of the trail is covered in majestic ferns and the end in wildflowers and views of Mt Hood and Coastal Range. One is deep within the forest almost to the top and this is why we felt it would be safe to take along our very energetic 5 year old. To our surprise he made it to the summit within 2.5h with lots of breaks and a picnic on the way up (and down). The trail itself has a lot of scree so he held onto us for those sections. He did fantastic scrambling. He was equipped with proper shoes and a vest. For a strong single kid with two parents to mind them this is certainly feasible.

Great hike but very rainy day. Was not prepared and did not bring trekking poles. We got to within half a mile of the summit and turned back when the wind kicked up and light hailing started. Will return soon to finish and possibly do the elk loop. On the way down I felt we didn’t need trekking poles tho they would have made it safer. Even with very wet conditions and proper shoes, our footing was solid. Got passed several times on the way down by gazelle like trail runners.

Have been on this trail several times now and it’s one of the toughest within 1.5 hours of Portland. It’s a bit tougher than Dog Mountain but it offers great views. Connects with Elk Mountain to make a great loop, always a plus. It can have snow through March or later and is quite slick due to steepness in those conditions. Rocks are loose during the last 0.5 miles or so and it’s a little sketchy to run in spots. About 2:30-2:45 hike if you’re in good shape and about a 1:10-1:15 run.

Hard as it is steep but a good day hike-and good views. Take plenty of water.

Fantastic trail that I hiked back in March when it was still covered in melting snow. A few people in my group struggled but what’s a hike without a little bit of pain? I would absolutely hike this again when the trail is a little less slippery.

So I think this might have been the perfect storm to not enjoy this hike. It was raining the entire time, so the steep grade was downright scary at certain points. The fog was thick so when we did make it to the picnic tables and viewpoints there was nothing to see. The trail is in decent condition and is QUITE the workout. Really intense incline after about 1/2 mile in. It's almost worse coming down than going up. We had our small child with us and she was a trooper, but I would not recommend kids on this one. Trekking poles I am sure would have made a big difference too. Will try again one day, but if the weather isn't dry and clear....it's not really worth it

Absolutely incredible. Need to hike again when it’s clear but still amazing views. Definitely a hard hike, once you see the 2000 ft sign it’s 1900 ft climb in 1.5 miles. A few spots where is levels out but mostly climbing the whole way. Loose rock at the top, and once you get to the main view keep going to find the actual summit and the trail to go to elk mountain. Highly recommended, be prepared to work! Poles would have been nice to come down with, really steep and rocky.

Insanely beautiful. Do not be fooled, this truly is a difficult hike. Bring extra water. Make sure your shoes have lots of grip especially in front, and preferably bring some trekking poles, otherwise the trip down the mountain will be one non-stop slide. There is a picnic table near the top if you feel like hauling up food/drinks- or just a beer. While it definitely won’t seem it when you are only half-way up the mountain, the view from the top is worth it!

Very steadily steep right off the bat. I have hiked this in the winter as well as summer- definitely slippery and muddy during the rainy season. If you want instant gratification, this hike is not for you. If you enjoy the journey, you will be rewarded at the peak with spectacular views. A journey well worth it. Nearing the peak, be warned that there is loose rock. I don’t have trekking poles, so I usually find a stride stick to help me through these areas.

This was a challenge but the views and wildflowers at the top were worth the effort. great work out.

steady steep grade the whole hike up with some minor scramble in the last .2 miles of the hike. recommend coming early as the parking lot is small and has limited space.

The trail is probably harder if it’s raining. Besides being quite steep, it was a very straight forward hike. Again, if it’s raining or snowing, it would be very hard to keep going. It’s very steep. The view up at the summit is very beautiful and worth the exercise. When you find the picnic table, if you keep going for another 10mins or so, you’ll reach the top. The picnic table makes for a very peaceful snack break.

Loved this hike! it's steep all the way up, but it's doable if you're in shape (-:

Hiked this trail recently and had a blast. It’s tough but rewarding once you make it to the summit. I’d echo previous reviews - bring plenty of water and hiking poles if you have them (would have been helpful on the way up & down).

Great trail. It is consistently steep and a great workout so just be prepared for that. Trail is in great shape. Some nice views at and near the top. Well shades most of the way until you reach the top. Lot was full but the trail was not crowded at all. Highly recommend this hike!

Well worth the brutal ascent to the top! We wished we had brought sticks or trekking poles to help with balance on the way down but gorgeous views all around. Bring good shoes and more water than you’d think you need.

Steep but rewarding! Nice little hike with some amazing views. Nothing technical though do take your time going up and down some of the rockier/rooted areas. Good distance for the amount of elevation gain!

The most difficult aspect of this trail is that it is a pretty steep incline nearly the entire way. I saw many hikers with trekking poles and I think my knees/ankles would have thanked me if I had brought some. that being said, there aren't many scrambles or spots that require much agility, so the trail is not difficult in that regard. Hiked to the summit yesterday, the snow was melting quickly but still quite slick near the top (spikes would have been useful). Use caution with slick shoes and children in the snow.
It was quite warm and the views were astounding.
I would say this trail is popular but not overcrowded. I do advise going early if you plan to hike on a weekend though.

First trekking this and I loved it! Snow was near the summit but made for a more difficult hike. We loved every second of it. There were parts I was thinking it is really this steep? Definitely would do it again.

Hiked today. Up to a foot and a half maybe more of snow at the half way point and up. Micro spikes/crampons would have been nice in a couple spots near the top. Trekking poles are a must, we shared a pair. Staying near powdered helped. Not too difficult just keep going.

We ended up hitting another trail and doing about 7 Miles. Going downhill wasn’t too bad in my knees in the snow, much nicer than gravel. No mud etc..

We saw three other groups on a Wednesday so you’ll have some people to share the trail with but not many.

In the summer time the views or close to unrivaled, but in the winter I am not sure I would attempt it again. Very muddy and slick, snow at the top, and all whited out so no coastal views or views at all.

Fresh snow today, but not deep enough to need snowshoes or microspikes. A really nice hike

Steep but so worth it!

Just did this today, great hike, real butt kicker. Stick with it to the top and you’ll get amazing views.

hiked 1/21

smooth sailing, a little rain and some snow at the top.

microspikes would help at the very top but I didn't find them to be necessary.

Oh my goodness it is quite the difficult hike. Steep mostly all the way. but when you get to King Mountain Summit it is just so rewarding. We went on a rainy and cloudy day but the trees kept you dry. You can hear the Wilson River almost the entire hike. When we finally made it to the top there was snow. we didn't get a view because of the clouds nonetheless it was amazing. the way down is hard on your knees so be prepared, 64oz of water is not enough. trekking poles are must. we didn't take any and that could have saved us some energy. You will be starving at the end of the hike. Enjoy don't get discouraged.

Went on a cloudy light rain day. Fun hike, challenging but really enjoyable. Didn’t make it to the summit (improper shoes and a lot of snow) so I turned back at the picnic table. Still great, will be back on a clear day in a few months.

Great hike. Challenging