Kings Mountain Trail

Kings Mountain Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tillamook, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A steep and demanding trail that takes you up above Tillamook forest, providing spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and opening up to nearby Elk Mountain or other trails.

Amazing and tough incline on the way up, and steep on the way down.

Wasn't very impressed with the view, however I still appreciated the HARD Climb!

This is such an amazing hike! Don't let the first bit of the hike fool you, it's a brutal uphill hike. It's beautiful the whole way and the trails are very well maintained. Once you get up to the view point you might as well break out the Kleenex; it's something to cry over. On the way down its a bit tricky- the steepness of the mountain is quickly put into perspective. I slid on my butt down part of the trail because I just knew I was going to fall anyway. Find a walking stick on your way up or bring one!

Not to bad of a view. Very steep, deff a good workout!

Don't let the short distance fool you! To begin it's all incline, from gradual to steep. Once you reach the summit you will feel accomplished. Absolutely worth hiking this trail if you are in the area. Just bring lots of water, take your time, and enjoy the forest!

Toughest 2.5 mile climb I've tried in a while but well worth the journey. Beautiful views from the top and not crowded. Recommended

great hike, made me realize just how fat I really am. Read the reviews and people saying how easy and over rated it is... whelp, I had to work at it. Up was a push and I kept thinking how easy it would be to go downhill.... nope, almost as hard, my legs were jello by the time I got back to the parking lot. Signed the book at the top but should have taken the escalator instead.

Very difficult but on a clear day you have a view of Mt. Hood and the lush Tillamook State Forest. Absolutely breathtaking.

Nice trail but very difficult. I spent around two hours to achieve mountain top, took rest several times in the between. Please be prepared we'll and bring enough water to enjoy this trip.

Take extra water, we went from the summit of Kings Mountain over to Elk Mountain and back to Wilson river trail via elk creek and it was 6 hours and 12+ miles of difficult hiking with no water other than what you bring. The Ford on Elk is a beautiful spot, perfect for a night to rest. A warning though, You have to use ropes(already rigged and in position) to traverse the saddle between Kings and Eagle mountain so an upper body workout is in your future if you attempt

The view at the top is just amazing I could stay and stare at it all day!! And that's that we went on a cloudy day!! Totally worth the hard work to get there!! It's for sure steep! So be careful!! Going down is not easy either, lots of loose gravel. Poles are a good idea!! Find some long and thick tree branches and those work just as well!! Will definitely be doing this trail again!!! Have fun and enjoy the view!!

This is a difficult hike, but well worth the effort. There are many very steep points that make the trip up quite slow, but there are a good amount of level or semi-level areas for you to catch your breath. The view at the top is breathtaking. We managed to get up there in the afternoon on a Saturday. The wildflowers were blooming at the top and it was clear enough you could see Mt. Hood in the distance.

The climb up is through a very wooded area and only when you really listen can you hear the cars going by below. At one point you are walking along a creek, but mainly it's woods.

If you're planning to stop for lunch or a rest at the top, there isn't any shade. But, on your way up and not that far from the top, there is a picnic bench that was shaded when we passed it. If you sit there, you won't get the view though.

On our way up there was one point where we were unsure which path to take. There's a fork and we decided on the left path. It was very steep and I believe it was a "short cut." I'm not sure how much of the path to the right added onto the hike, but it might be an easier climb.

I recommend hiking poles. The trip down can be precarious as there are steep rocking areas and loose gravel that you can easily slip on.

Pretty steep climb up- I enjoyed the good workout. Definitely not an easy hike but not the hardest Ive ever done either! The park actually rates this on their informational sign as "extremely difficult." Depending on how much hiking experience you have, the shape you're in, and who you're with, it could take a good 4-5 hours to complete the hike to the top and back down.

The trees provided a lot of great shade. Wear good shoes because parts of the trail are pretty rocky and it's easy to slip. I wore my nikes today and next time will wear hiking boots.

The view at the top is very pretty and definitely worth the steep hike up!! Next time I'll take more of the side trails that lead you to other pretty views!

A beautiful forested trail when the spring sun lights up the ferns and flowers below. It gets steep and is not recommended for those who love easygoing hikes. There are some steep rock climbing sections. Once at the top, the view is awesome. Make sure you go all the way to the summit where the Mazamas have placed a log in. Open the box on the right end. Remove the container. Unscrew the end piece from the container to find a log book and pens. Replace all items when you leave.
GOING DOWN
Be very careful. The trail has an abundance of roly-poly gravel on steep areas. Take hiking poles!
Completed on 5/25/17 by Thirsty Thursday Hikers