Kings Mountain Trail

Kings Mountain Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tillamook, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A steep and demanding trail that takes you up above Tillamook forest, providing spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and opening up to nearby Elk Mountain or other trails.

12 minutes ago

Hiked today. Up to a foot and a half maybe more of snow at the half way point and up. Micro spikes/crampons would have been nice in a couple spots near the top. Trekking poles are a must, we shared a pair. Staying near powdered helped. Not too difficult just keep going.

We ended up hitting another trail and doing about 7 Miles. Going downhill wasn’t too bad in my knees in the snow, much nicer than gravel. No mud etc..

We saw three other groups on a Wednesday so you’ll have some people to share the trail with but not many.

In the summer time the views or close to unrivaled, but in the winter I am not sure I would attempt it again. Very muddy and slick, snow at the top, and all whited out so no coastal views or views at all.

Fresh snow today, but not deep enough to need snowshoes or microspikes. A really nice hike

Steep but so worth it!

Just did this today, great hike, real butt kicker. Stick with it to the top and you’ll get amazing views.

hiked 1/21

smooth sailing, a little rain and some snow at the top.

microspikes would help at the very top but I didn't find them to be necessary.

Oh my goodness it is quite the difficult hike. Steep mostly all the way. but when you get to King Mountain Summit it is just so rewarding. We went on a rainy and cloudy day but the trees kept you dry. You can hear the Wilson River almost the entire hike. When we finally made it to the top there was snow. we didn't get a view because of the clouds nonetheless it was amazing. the way down is hard on your knees so be prepared, 64oz of water is not enough. trekking poles are must. we didn't take any and that could have saved us some energy. You will be starving at the end of the hike. Enjoy don't get discouraged.

Went on a cloudy light rain day. Fun hike, challenging but really enjoyable. Didn’t make it to the summit (improper shoes and a lot of snow) so I turned back at the picnic table. Still great, will be back on a clear day in a few months.

Great hike. Challenging

Brutal. That’s about how I’ll describe this hike! Just keep climbing... and when I say climbing I mean actually climbing. I saw people puke and I saw people turn around on this trail! I had a goal of conquering this beast in 3 hours and beat it by about 45 minutes due to trail running down it. Legs = Jello! Have fun and be safe!!

My dog and I hiked this mid week, parking lot was empty when we arrived and we only saw one other person on our way back down. The hike took us 3 hours including sitting at the top for 15 minutes or so. I fancy myself as “in shape” but this hike had me huffing and puffing. The view at the top was definitely “worth it” and I might have felt some disappointment if the weather had been crummy. I was glad that I brought my trekking poles and highly recommend hiking boots for the ankle support on the way down.

Crowded parking lot if you get here late. Very steep especially at the top, wishing I had trekking poles for the way down. Only minimal frost on the trail towards the top today. A real leg buster but well worth it for the views of the ocean and Mt Hood.

Completed 12/30/17; knew from friends who had hiked it that it would be extremely challenging and it was! Uphill and super steep almost the whole way with boulder/rocky patches. View was well worth it, trail is very well maintained. Trekking poles would have been very helpful!

Wow it is difficult. I was expecting switch backs with somewhat varying elevation gains, but it seems to climb steeply then go to a easier assent then back to steep. Thank you to the group who keeps this up! It is VERY WELL made and maintained trail

I would rate this as hard but I was not dying at the top. It is a steady incline though with some spots being more steep than others. There are lots of trails at this one spot. King Mnt is said to be 2.5 miles up but my phone app said it was longer. There is also Elk Mnt that is 3.8 miles (we did not go there). Nice views at the top

UP. Trekking poles help.

My wife and I did this trail and loved it. It is demanding but it’s well worth it! We did this hike a week ago and it was just starting to snow.

2-3 inches of snow at the top, just fyi.

Great hike! It’s all uphill, but the view is worth it.

As others mentioned this is a very steep out and back which is runnable but requires scrambling on occasion, not only because of some scattered rock features, but also the steep grade. The majority of the hike is deep in woods and you don't get the view to the end but the view was worth it.