Kentucky Falls Trail

Kentucky Falls Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mapleton, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A moderate hike to three waterfalls and a fun swimming hole. The hike starts at the top of the hills and heads downhill, which means you must hike back uphill for the second half of the hike. As you hike down you will pass by Upper Kentucky Falls then down to the twin falls of Lower Kentucky Falls and North Fork Falls, where there is a nice wooden viewpoint. If you continue down the trail along the North Fork of the Smith River you can find a nice swimming hole.

This place is GORGEOUS! We will definitely be going back. We were warned about the bad roads Google maps wants to take us, so here are the directions we found that were much better. From Eugene, drive 33 miles west on Hwy 126. Between milepost 26 and 27 turn at the Whittaker Creek Rec area sign. After 1.6 miles turn right and cross a bridge. Drive 1.5 miles and fork left onto Dunn Ridge Road and continue 7 miles to a T-shaped junction which marks the end of pavement. Turn left onto Knowles Creek Rd for 2.7 miles and then turn right onto paved Road 23 for another 1.6 miles. Finally turn right onto paved Rd 919 for 2.8 miles to the trail head parking area on your right.

Quite a drive! wasn't awesome in a Toyota Corolla. Definitely follow the Forest Service directions to actually find it. Beautiful! I've been there twice.

the mapping for this trail is severely incorrect and my daughter and I ended up on a BLM logging trail, and very disappointing. if you attempt to locate, please stop before you hit the BLM roads.

pretty easy until it starts to go straight down. kind of a goat trail at that point. moderate danger level. Very beautiful. great pics!

While reading up on Eugene's Lifestyle, I came across a great article on the history and making of the trails.
The end of the article provides specific directions by those who were involed in the rehab/creation of the falls trails.
This is definately on my list of future adventures.

falls were awesome

as far as getting there don't use the directions provided by Google maps. it takes you on a horrible road with overgrown brush which will scratch the heck out of your car. we took I believe the 919 to the 48 road back out. we detoured and hit lower smith falls and came back Vincent creek road which was all paved. Don't quote me on the road numbers but just check into it further before you follow the directions provided.

One of my favorites

great hike
well worth the drive and some good hill work to get back up

Beautiful trail and a pretty easy hike! The waterfall was stunning. It was late by the time we got there, so we only hiked in to the first falls. We climbed over the big boulders and were able to get right by the waterfall.
I️ drove up in a Honda Civic and would NOT recommend doing the same! Came home with a flat tire. The drive up is very bumpy and long. I think it’s worth it though if you have a Jeep or something that can handle a gravel road that’s not maintained very well.

Trail was excellent. Three beautiful waterfalls are definitely worth it. The directions that are on this app make you take this extremely overgrown road that scratched up my car so much. Don’t use that road if you care about your vehicle.

Coming from Eugene, the directions in the Falcon guide were fine. But lucky we didn't tried to follow Google Maps which had the preferred route follow Whitaker Creek to section of road that doesn't exist!! Beware.

Had to cut trees on road and hike 1.4 miles to trail head. The hike was amazing. The Trillium was in full bloom. Falls were amazing. An incredible date hike!

Absolutely love this hike. Have hiked it 3 times so far, plan on going more.

Do it!

Loved this trail! My daughter and I hiked it in November and it was absolutely beautiful!! Great views!! The waterfalls are amazing! And all the fall leaves made it’s so bright and cheerful!

Awesome falls! And very cool hike to get to them with vertical rock walls and huge trees. The falls themselves are gorgeous and has a huge area to explore to get that perfect photo :)

This is a great hike! Starts downhill which is uncommon and preferred. Here is my video on the place:

I love this place! Three falls! Great decline, incline so relaxing!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Amazing hike!! The drive was long and I would recommend going through Mapleton.. the map took me through a logging trail and it was overgrown and scratched my car a bit. But overall, extremely beautiful!

Friday, July 28, 2017

It was an amazing trail. It is the classic forest trail with beautiful waterfalls as the prize. The trail is generally in excellent condition but the hike back out has some steep switchbacks.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Great trail!

Monday, July 10, 2017

I got there around noon. There was a couple there but other than that I saw no one else on my way into the falls. I was back around 3 and there was a few other groups starting to pile in. Seemed like it was a popular afternoon destination. I went on a Monday so a weekend trip might be pretty busy.

The trail was fairly easy. Going in was basically all downhill, but it meant the way out was a bit of a sweat. The scenery is a beautiful, lush green common to the PNW.

The first falls are about a mile in, and behind some dense rocks and logs. You can climb to the base with some careful footwork.

The real jewel are the twin falls at the end of the trail. They are two large falls right next to each other that converge into a single stream. Absolutely stunning, and plenty of rocks to sit and have lunch. Similarly, you can approach the base by climbing over some boulders and river rocks.

It's a bit of a ways out there, but definitely a must see

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Fabulous place...a bit hard to get to, but worth it.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Beautiful hike! The lower Falls were amazing with the two coming together.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Beautiful hike, but tougher than some of the other waterfall trails. One not worth missing.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

The road there is definitely has overgrown vegetation that scrapes up against your vehicle so take a vehicle you wouldn't mind branches and trees scraping up against and smaller cars might have tougher time. The hike itself was beautiful and the waterfalls were lush and flowing hard.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Really cool to see two waterfalls next to each other. Google took us on an off road that was impossible to get through and had to turn around. Took an hour detour to finally get back to the proper road. So be careful and double check your gps. If you are going off road into dirt and rocky paths I would turn around immediately. Storms and overgrown vegetation makes it difficult. Very cool hike otherwise (;

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Long drive but definitely worth it!

Friday, December 30, 2016

One of my new favorites!! Kind of a ways out there and you have to take several old logging roads, but it's absolutely worth it! Three beautiful waterfalls on this trail! At the end, you'll have to do some rock scrambling to get down to get a good view of North Fork Falls.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Absolutely stunning falls this past weekend thanks to all the rain recently. Overall, it's an easy hike with a couple of moderate switchbacks between the falls. Beware beaver holes and some slick spots.