Kentucky Falls Trail

Kentucky Falls Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mapleton, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A moderate hike to three waterfalls and a fun swimming hole. The hike starts at the top of the hills and heads downhill, which means you must hike back uphill for the second half of the hike. As you hike down you will pass by Upper Kentucky Falls then down to the twin falls of Lower Kentucky Falls and North Fork Falls, where there is a nice wooden viewpoint. If you continue down the trail along the North Fork of the Smith River you can find a nice swimming hole.

Absolutely love this hike. Have hiked it 3 times so far, plan on going more.

Do it!

Loved this trail! My daughter and I hiked it in November and it was absolutely beautiful!! Great views!! The waterfalls are amazing! And all the fall leaves made it’s so bright and cheerful!

Awesome falls! And very cool hike to get to them with vertical rock walls and huge trees. The falls themselves are gorgeous and has a huge area to explore to get that perfect photo :)

This is a great hike! Starts downhill which is uncommon and preferred. Here is my video on the place:

I love this place! Three falls! Great decline, incline so relaxing!

Amazing hike!! The drive was long and I would recommend going through Mapleton.. the map took me through a logging trail and it was overgrown and scratched my car a bit. But overall, extremely beautiful!

It was an amazing trail. It is the classic forest trail with beautiful waterfalls as the prize. The trail is generally in excellent condition but the hike back out has some steep switchbacks.

Great trail!

I got there around noon. There was a couple there but other than that I saw no one else on my way into the falls. I was back around 3 and there was a few other groups starting to pile in. Seemed like it was a popular afternoon destination. I went on a Monday so a weekend trip might be pretty busy.

The trail was fairly easy. Going in was basically all downhill, but it meant the way out was a bit of a sweat. The scenery is a beautiful, lush green common to the PNW.

The first falls are about a mile in, and behind some dense rocks and logs. You can climb to the base with some careful footwork.

The real jewel are the twin falls at the end of the trail. They are two large falls right next to each other that converge into a single stream. Absolutely stunning, and plenty of rocks to sit and have lunch. Similarly, you can approach the base by climbing over some boulders and river rocks.

It's a bit of a ways out there, but definitely a must see

Fabulous place...a bit hard to get to, but worth it.

Beautiful hike! The lower Falls were amazing with the two coming together.

Beautiful hike, but tougher than some of the other waterfall trails. One not worth missing.

The road there is definitely has overgrown vegetation that scrapes up against your vehicle so take a vehicle you wouldn't mind branches and trees scraping up against and smaller cars might have tougher time. The hike itself was beautiful and the waterfalls were lush and flowing hard.

Really cool to see two waterfalls next to each other. Google took us on an off road that was impossible to get through and had to turn around. Took an hour detour to finally get back to the proper road. So be careful and double check your gps. If you are going off road into dirt and rocky paths I would turn around immediately. Storms and overgrown vegetation makes it difficult. Very cool hike otherwise (;

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Long drive but definitely worth it!

Friday, December 30, 2016

One of my new favorites!! Kind of a ways out there and you have to take several old logging roads, but it's absolutely worth it! Three beautiful waterfalls on this trail! At the end, you'll have to do some rock scrambling to get down to get a good view of North Fork Falls.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Absolutely stunning falls this past weekend thanks to all the rain recently. Overall, it's an easy hike with a couple of moderate switchbacks between the falls. Beware beaver holes and some slick spots.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Beautiful hike. I went with my hiking group. We spent the whole day there. Relaxing, sun bathing, watching butterfly's. Got some amazing pics. Theirs in my Instagram bb_anski. Cliff side some of the hike. Be carful when wet. The width was tight enough j didn't use my poles. You hike down then back up

Friday, September 23, 2016

Such a great hike! The first waterfall (upper falls) is about 1 mile in! Once you get to where the trail continues forward or goes down (forget the name of the 2nd trail) but keep going straight around the corner, there will be two more waterfalls (lower falls)! About 3.5 miles to the lower falls! So beautiful!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Great hike and the waterfalls are impressive, especially early in the year when the water is raging. The hike back uphill to your car is definitely a drag, though!

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Great for families or a casual hike as it's quite short and moderate in terms of elevation. There's a waterfall along the way, through beautiful old-growth forest, to the two waiting at the end of the trail. If your GPS is like mine, it is liable to bring you there a number of ways. You'll go through some pretty rough and narrow dirt roads and potentially an old grass-covered road barely the width of a car. The coordinates provided by the site are accurate.

The trail is nice. Not particularly spectacular but you're able to get very close to the waterfalls. The last one, in particular, has some great spots to hang out for a while. The trail is very well maintained. There's really no chance of getting lost.

The website says "lightly trafficked" but I went on a non-holiday weekday morning and still ran into several groups of people.

Overall, I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for something casual or for waterfalls.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Beautiful!! Oregon at its finest. walk out is definitely harder.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Stunning views and huge waterfalls! Does it get any better?! Three different waterfalls and I was able to climb down to one (would've explored more of the other two if I had time.) and could've touched it if I wanted to! If you do that, the rocks are slippery! So be careful!! It's a good hike. Mostly downward as you're heading in and then the way out is pretty steep at some points. I hike often so it was horrible but it definitely had me winded at times. We went in July and the scenery was stunning!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

It was fun! We did head out the wrong way (be hind the sign for the trail head and bathroom). So we ran into a bee hive so be careful they were not happy!! My kids got stung and a couple of our dogs luckily no one is allergic just made for a ruff start. After that we had a great time the kids did really well... The youngest is five so he needed to look for treasures, so we needed to keep him moving! We made it all the way definitely worth it❤️

Monday, July 25, 2016

Beautiful hike! First waterfall is

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Quite a walk, worth every step and haven't seen one person on 3 hikes. There are two routes off 126 to the trailhead. I go past sweet creek for the best road conditions. It is still "kind of" remote, the roads do get over grown, but keep going, the hiking trails are clearer!

Friday, July 15, 2016

This was a beautiful hike with 3 different waterfalls. It was shaded well on a warm day. I loved all of the plants and trees. This trail is in the middle of nowhere and takes quite a while to get to. It is worth the drive.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Beautiful waterfall hike that's perfect for kids!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Great hike. Good distance and beautiful falls. The only trouble was getting there. Came off 126 from Eugene and it was a rough road to get up there, lots of potholes in the gravel roads. Using the coordinates off this site on google maps worked for directions.

Oh and there was SO MANY centipedes! Very interesting