Iron Mountain Trail

Iron Mountain Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascadia, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,276 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Sweet Home: Continue east on Hwy. 20 for 34 miles to Road 15 and turn right. The parking area is to your right and the trail is located across the road. A second access is off of Hwy. 20 via Civil Road (035). Turn left on Civil Road from Hwy. 20 and follow it to the end. The trail is 0.8 miles long from here. A toilet is located at this upper trailhead.

Nice trail, with easy access to either parking lot.

nice view, viewing platform at the top. very vertical.

Excellent hike with panoramic views of many mountains!

I parked at the tombstone pass parking lot. There was a map that showed the different hikes I wouldn't say all the trails are clearly marked. We had to cross the highway to get back onto Iron Mtn trail. Not a problem for me. it was a total of 7.8 miles for me. But that was probably me dinking around. I hiked with a beginner hiker so I went slower than normal. I saw a few people on the trail. We started it around 3pm.

Amazing hike! Easy access to parking lot, no special gravel roads required. This is a moderate hike. It is a bit steep, but well maintained. Prepared to get dirt on you though, trail is dry from the heat. Also, bring bug spray. Took about two hours total. Even more if you spend time at the deck at the top, which you should. It appears there is a gravel road for those who want to cut the hike in half. Meaning, you can park half way up and take the connector up to the top. Two restrooms on the trail total. Even though this is a popular spot, it’s still enough of a trail where it’s spread out. Highly recommend!

The description of it being 3 miles out and back is inaccurate. It is almost 3 miles point to point. There were still remnants of all the beautiful flowers. Moderately difficult trail erring on the side of easy. Many benches along the way to stop and rest. We only saw a couple other groups on our way back, families with younger children, otherwise we had the trail to ourself late morning.

amazing flowers, spectacular view

Great view. Wildflowers.

Great hike! Gorgeous views. Wildflowers were beautiful. It’s definitely a 5 mile round trip ! Start early to avoid traffic on the trail. Got a bit crowded early afternoon but wasn’t too bad.

Hiked at 5:20 am to watch the sun rise, so quiet, beautiful flowers, the fog clouds rose quickly as the sun came up. Just awesome

beautiful scenery, well maintained and marked trail.

We thought we might be too late to enjoy a spectacular wildflower showing. We were wrong. Among the blooms: aster, bluebells, bunchberry, Cascade lily, columbine, larkspur, lupine, Oregon sunshine, paintbrush, penstemon, queen-cup, scarlet gilia, stonecrop, thimbleberry, tiger lily, vanilla leaf, windflower. Whole meadows were studded with wildflowers. Even without the fl, much flowers, part of this hike is a beautiful forest trail with plenty of Douglas-fir old growth. We took the 7.8-mile loop that starts at the Tombstone Pass sno-park lot.

Excellent hike. Just hard enough for this halfway in shape gal. Recorded this hike using the app and it was 3.8 miles not 3.0. Would do this one again.

Great hike with an amazing view at the top! Nice steady incline all the way, but I didn’t find it very difficult. We weren’t able to add in the Cone Peak loop which I was looking forward to. Bummed it was partly cloudy and they obstructed the mountains a bit, but still so beautiful. The wildflowers were in full bloom and the butterflies were everywhere.

Absolutely loved this hike. The flowers, the forest, the views were priceless!

Great hiking day going to Iron Mt. and then to Cone Peak. Wild flowers all along the way “awesome “. Met many friendly hiker during the day. Hi to the two gals we met on two different parts of the loop. Weather was cloudy but really hiking conditions was perfect, pictures weren’t as colorful but still a great hike.

My husband and I loved this hike - he was wearing our 10 month old on his back, slowing us down just a bit, but it was still fantastic. We got to the lower trail head around 9:30am and passed one family - we had the top viewing deck to ourselves. But on the way back it was a pretty constant stream of people climbing uphill. Go early- the shadows were long in the morning, keeping us cool and shaded. BEAUTIFUL flowers and views. Highly recommend.

Absolutely gorgeous wildflowers and amazing diversity of trees; a very unusual ecosystem! Be sure to do the loop as well as the climb to the viewing platform. There’s a lot of uphill, and then of course downhill, so hiking poles will save your knees! I don’t advise hiking in sandals as I saw someone doing because you need stable footing. I was somewhat disappointed to find the last mile or so back to Tombstone pass had a great deal of uphill which is always tiring at the end of a hike!

A little cloud cover on the mountains, but sunny, warm and beautiful! Lots of flowers in bloom!

Really nice hike in June love the views and wild flowers. My 3rd time up the first being in 1989 before the lookout came down.

The flowers are in bloom! Perfect 3 mile hike with views to die for!

We hiked the trail in late June and it was clear from snow, with beautiful views of the mountains. There is a rock to the left of the pier at the top (right before you get to the pier) where we sat and had lunch. You could see all three of them clearly, along with stunning views of the valley below.

My husband and I were looking for a hike with comparable views to Black Butte, and I feel Iron mountain delivered on that! Trail was free from snow but there is some you can easily get to off the trail to cool off. Trails were easily visible though Rocky in parts when you get closer to the summit so watch your footing as the paths are narrow.

A good workout but well worth the hike once you get to the top!

Hiked this Saturday. Turned out to be an amazing day! Glorious views as far as you could see. Still snow on the last 200 feet of incline. Covered trail in two spots, but it was passable if you held your breath. Well worth the hike!

Mostly all of the snow has melted! Was a lot easier than I anticipated

A beautiful hike. We brought the middle school hiking club for a challenge. At the last turn before the top, the snow was too high and we lost the trail. didnt want to take risks like that with other people's children so we turned back. thoroughly enjoyed it though and will be back later in the season.