Iron Mountain Trail

Iron Mountain Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascadia, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Sweet Home: Continue east on Hwy. 20 for 34 miles to Road 15 and turn right. The parking area is to your right and the trail is located across the road. A second access is off of Hwy. 20 via Civil Road (035). Turn left on Civil Road from Hwy. 20 and follow it to the end. The trail is 0.8 miles long from here. A toilet is located at this upper trailhead.

Snow on the trail right now it was a little sketching nearing the peak. The views were beautiful all the way up saving the best for last. Definitely worth it if you got a couple hours or 3 to spare.

There are two routes to take - if you turn off at Civil road, you can reach a trail head that's only .9 miles from the top if you're looking for a shorter excursion. But then you miss all the shady bits! It is beautiful all the way up from the lower trailhead. Really, it is a smooth, open path (no scrambling over rocks or anything), but probably rated hard for the unrelenting upward trend on a series of switchbacks. We passed at least two benches on the way up if you need a breather and the look out platform has amazing views (and assertive, fat chipmunks). We went in August, so missed some of the really beautiful wildflowers and the trail in places was almost powdery with deep, loose dirt which led to a couple of slippery spots.

Great view, Wildflowers, sage, and volcanic formations. My GPS said it was .8 miles from the Trail head to the top. Not sure why it's rated as hard because it was pretty easy and short.

Beautiful hike. Stunning views!

Incredible sunset view. To save time on the hike, get directions to NFD Road 038 and start at that trailhead.

Completed loop from Deer Creek Trailhead. I went up Iron Mountain first and early to beat the crowds and then continued onto Cone Peak. Take a picture of map at trailhead because you need to pick up connecting trails to get back which can be a little tricky. You can also just start from Tombstone Pass. Flowers are perfect right now. Breathtaking as are the views.

Flowers at peak.

Such a beautiful trail with the most amazing views! Took my two dogs so just wanted to emphasize there is no water on this trail..... bring extra for you and dogs, especially if you go on a hot day. Many of the upper switchbacks are in direct sun with little shade. Definitely hot on their feet. Platform at top has no shade. One of the best hikes I've been on for sure!

Absolutely stunning views the entire trail. Although the trail is uphill the entire way, I would rate this a lower moderate trail. It's short enough that you can walk slowly up it, and take breaks with stunning views. Pack water! We parked on route 20 where the directions bring you to the Iron mountain parking lot on deer creek road.

This is a new favorite of mine. Parked at the main entrance. Don't let the map there confuse you, we continued driving to try and find the other trailhead and could never find it. You can also stay on the main road, pass the sign for Iron mt and park at the pullout above to take off a little extra bit of trail between the two roads. It was kind of cloudy when I went but still beautiful around every corner. Lots of wild flowers. Amazing amazing views, would be unbelievable on a clear day, 360° views . Was up there at sunset. Will definitely go back. Highly recommend. Idk if I would rate this as hard or moderate, phone got 3.7 miles RT. Very well maintained trail. We had to do a little of it in the dark on the way back and it was easy. Kid friendly, steady incline for the whole thing but my almost 4 year old ran up half of it, then I carried him the second half. 35 extra pounds on the back made it a nice workout but still very doable.

Foggy on the trek up but it was starting to lift! Stayed at top for an hour watching the views gradually emerge, and then it was sunny and blue! Wow, fabulous views! Took about 50 min to hike up to observatory, and about 30 minutes back down to the Civil Rd Trailhead.

Great hike! Our 2nd time out. Went last year, made it all the way ;)...Today, not so lucky. There is still a little snow believe it or not. My husband and I went as far as we could, didn't want to risk slipping. We will definitely be back.

one of my favorites! lovely wildflowers, gorgeous view at the top!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Absolutely beautiful hike with amazing views! The trail is full of wildflowers in the spring. The trail closes mid November for winter however going in the snow is worth the great experience! The trail is fairly moderate with a few parts of steep difficult inclines. Lots of bunnies and wildlife, including bobcats. The peak of the hike will treat you with a cool wooden balcony with a map identifying the nearby mountains and landmarks.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Amazing trail!! I can't imagine how cool the views would be on a clear day. I went on a semi-cloudy day and still got to see quite a few peaks. Uphill the whole way (obviously) but not extremely difficult. I also parked near hwy 20, but it looked like there was a closer area to park that took off two miles of hiking.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

not as hard as I hoped, but great views at the top

Monday, July 25, 2016

Great views at the top, interesting rock formations as well. Not too difficult of a hike but all the switchbacks in the direct sunlight can get warm.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

This is a rewarding and dynamic hike. We did the full loop which is about eight miles. The wildflowers were breathtaking and the views are just amazing, especially the rock formations whilst heading up to the peak of Iron Mountain. There is a very nice structure on top of with great interpretive signs. I was very pleased with the whole experience. You cross the highway twice. Bring a map or instructions. It is pretty well marked but our Sullivan book map helped a lot.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Tough hike, weather wasn't the best it even snowed on us! Flowers are beautiful right now

Monday, May 30, 2016

Such a beautiful hike! We started and tombstone and hiked the Cone Peak loop trail. It was amazing! The view at the top was incredible. Worth every step!

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Favorite local hike.Late spring is the best time to do this hike in my opinion with the bright wild flowers and cool temps its is an easy hike at first but gathers difficulty fast as you reach the summit....but well worth the hike with perfect views of the sisters, Mt Jefferson, Jump Off Joe, castle rock , Mt hood and Three Fingered Jack just to name few.The ranger station has been replaced with a pressure treated deck with ample seating and a nice directory and lots of interesting info posted around. Great hike for the adults.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Gorgeous views at the top. If you take the loop starting at the Tombstone parking lot to connect to this trail you get better wildflower views. Great hike though.

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Fan-freaking-tastic. A strenuous but not overly difficult trek not sure I'd give it a black diamond. The trail is a lot of dusty rust colored desert rock but is surrounded my a vast sea of green that ostensibly stretches on forever, encouraging you to ponder your smallness in nature and to imagine what the world looked like before civilization every corner of the planet. I'm tempted to call this a diamond in the rough, but that's not entirely accurate as I wouldn't call the rest of Oregon the rough. It's more like this is a diamond in a heap of other diamonds that most haven't gotten to yet, but I highly recommend that you do.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

This is a great hike and the views are outstanding. I wish we would have done Cone Peak also. Next time

Sunday, June 24, 2012

This is a great day hike and amazing views of the cascades on a clear day. If your looking to continue the hike a bit further, then follow the trail down and through the trees to the next meadow or field. The large dome is Cone Peak. It is basically a blaze your own trail up the skree and rocks. When you get to the summit, rest on the large rocks on top for a great view with the perfect breeze. Well worth the extra effort.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

While the vertical climb makes one breath hard from bottom to top, it is a relatively short hike and so very worth getting to the top for the panoramic views 360 degrees. Some of the trail, because of steepness and gravel requires you to be careful not to slip. Wildflowers were only getting started when I did the hike on June 3rd 2012. I want to go back in early July to take advantage of what must be a beautiful bloom of flowers.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

This hike is not difficult. It is only a few miles long. Even with the six-foot snowdrifts at the peak, it was easy-cheesy. Views are worth whatever "difficulty" you have to muster to get there.

Monday, May 14, 2012

It was a very strenuous but rewarding hike. I would suggest going in july as there was alot of snow still on 5/13. The views are spectacular! Definitely bring a buddy with you as this is wolf and bear country.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wildflowers, and views of the forest as far as you can see. There is a feeling of going up, up, up, but it is so worth it. A wooden platform where you can see mountains covered in snow. Speaking of snow, there is a little section that still had snow in June. A grassey meadow with a bench to sit on ...a nice resting spot if you want to catch your breath. Quite a few people do this hike, and I have seen young kids (4 or 5 yrs old) up there on the wooden platform who made the trek. It might be hard for some kids. I was glad I put on plenty of sun screen. The vast forest thing was a big selling point along with the view from the top OMG - sometimes I have to pinch myself that I am lucky enough to live less than an hour away from this hike.