Iron Mountain Trail

Iron Mountain Trail is a 3.3 mile out and back trail located near Cascadia, Oregon and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until November.

Directions from Sweet Home: Continue east on Hwy. 20 for 34 miles to Road 15 and turn right. The parking area is to your right and the trail is located across the road. A second access is off of Hwy. 20 via Civil Road (035). Turn left on Civil Road from Hwy. 20 and follow it to the end. The trail is 0.8 miles long from here. A toilet is located at this upper trailhead.

Foggy on the trek up but it was starting to lift! Stayed at top for an hour watching the views gradually emerge, and then it was sunny and blue! Wow, fabulous views! Took about 50 min to hike up to observatory, and about 30 minutes back down to the Civil Rd Trailhead.

Great hike! Our 2nd time out. Went last year, made it all the way ;)...Today, not so lucky. There is still a little snow believe it or not. My husband and I went as far as we could, didn't want to risk slipping. We will definitely be back.

one of my favorites! lovely wildflowers, gorgeous view at the top!

Absolutely beautiful hike with amazing views! The trail is full of wildflowers in the spring. The trail closes mid November for winter however going in the snow is worth the great experience! The trail is fairly moderate with a few parts of steep difficult inclines. Lots of bunnies and wildlife, including bobcats. The peak of the hike will treat you with a cool wooden balcony with a map identifying the nearby mountains and landmarks.

Amazing trail!! I can't imagine how cool the views would be on a clear day. I went on a semi-cloudy day and still got to see quite a few peaks. Uphill the whole way (obviously) but not extremely difficult. I also parked near hwy 20, but it looked like there was a closer area to park that took off two miles of hiking.

not as hard as I hoped, but great views at the top

Great views at the top, interesting rock formations as well. Not too difficult of a hike but all the switchbacks in the direct sunlight can get warm.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

This is a rewarding and dynamic hike. We did the full loop which is about eight miles. The wildflowers were breathtaking and the views are just amazing, especially the rock formations whilst heading up to the peak of Iron Mountain. There is a very nice structure on top of with great interpretive signs. I was very pleased with the whole experience. You cross the highway twice. Bring a map or instructions. It is pretty well marked but our Sullivan book map helped a lot.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Tough hike, weather wasn't the best it even snowed on us! Flowers are beautiful right now

Monday, May 30, 2016

Such a beautiful hike! We started and tombstone and hiked the Cone Peak loop trail. It was amazing! The view at the top was incredible. Worth every step!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Favorite local hike.Late spring is the best time to do this hike in my opinion with the bright wild flowers and cool temps its is an easy hike at first but gathers difficulty fast as you reach the summit....but well worth the hike with perfect views of the sisters, Mt Jefferson, Jump Off Joe, castle rock , Mt hood and Three Fingered Jack just to name few.The ranger station has been replaced with a pressure treated deck with ample seating and a nice directory and lots of interesting info posted around. Great hike for the adults.