Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Iron Mountain Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cascadia, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,276 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Sweet Home: Continue east on Hwy. 20 for 34 miles to Road 15 and turn right. The parking area is to your right and the trail is located across the road. A second access is off of Hwy. 20 via Civil Road (035). Turn left on Civil Road from Hwy. 20 and follow it to the end. The trail is 0.8 miles long from here. A toilet is located at this upper trailhead.

Trail was not to bad. Pretty much going up the whole way. Was a lot of snow at the top and the peak was blocked with a giant mound of snow so we had to stop about .5 from the top. Still really pretty but toes were soaked from the water and snow we had to walk in.

icy

What a beautiful hike! We went in from NF15 so no closure there. Much more snow than we expected but we made it very close to the top. Snow drifts kept us from reaching the lookout. This is definitely not a hike for beginners when there is snow present!

Sadly Iron Mountain is closed now due to COVID-19

Made the trek today. Snow still very deep in most places with some icy patches. Recommend poles. Had to use AllTrails to keep on the path. All that said... amazing hike and the view from the top is epic!

icy

Nice trail, with easy access to either parking lot.

nice view, viewing platform at the top. very vertical.

Excellent hike with panoramic views of many mountains!

I parked at the tombstone pass parking lot. There was a map that showed the different hikes I wouldn't say all the trails are clearly marked. We had to cross the highway to get back onto Iron Mtn trail. Not a problem for me. it was a total of 7.8 miles for me. But that was probably me dinking around. I hiked with a beginner hiker so I went slower than normal. I saw a few people on the trail. We started it around 3pm.

Amazing hike! Easy access to parking lot, no special gravel roads required. This is a moderate hike. It is a bit steep, but well maintained. Prepared to get dirt on you though, trail is dry from the heat. Also, bring bug spray. Took about two hours total. Even more if you spend time at the deck at the top, which you should. It appears there is a gravel road for those who want to cut the hike in half. Meaning, you can park half way up and take the connector up to the top. Two restrooms on the trail total. Even though this is a popular spot, it’s still enough of a trail where it’s spread out. Highly recommend!

The description of it being 3 miles out and back is inaccurate. It is almost 3 miles point to point. There were still remnants of all the beautiful flowers. Moderately difficult trail erring on the side of easy. Many benches along the way to stop and rest. We only saw a couple other groups on our way back, families with younger children, otherwise we had the trail to ourself late morning.

amazing flowers, spectacular view

Great view. Wildflowers.

Great hike! Gorgeous views. Wildflowers were beautiful. It’s definitely a 5 mile round trip ! Start early to avoid traffic on the trail. Got a bit crowded early afternoon but wasn’t too bad.

Hiked at 5:20 am to watch the sun rise, so quiet, beautiful flowers, the fog clouds rose quickly as the sun came up. Just awesome

beautiful scenery, well maintained and marked trail.

We thought we might be too late to enjoy a spectacular wildflower showing. We were wrong. Among the blooms: aster, bluebells, bunchberry, Cascade lily, columbine, larkspur, lupine, Oregon sunshine, paintbrush, penstemon, queen-cup, scarlet gilia, stonecrop, thimbleberry, tiger lily, vanilla leaf, windflower. Whole meadows were studded with wildflowers. Even without the fl, much flowers, part of this hike is a beautiful forest trail with plenty of Douglas-fir old growth. We took the 7.8-mile loop that starts at the Tombstone Pass sno-park lot.

Excellent hike. Just hard enough for this halfway in shape gal. Recorded this hike using the app and it was 3.8 miles not 3.0. Would do this one again.

Great hike with an amazing view at the top! Nice steady incline all the way, but I didn’t find it very difficult. We weren’t able to add in the Cone Peak loop which I was looking forward to. Bummed it was partly cloudy and they obstructed the mountains a bit, but still so beautiful. The wildflowers were in full bloom and the butterflies were everywhere.

Absolutely loved this hike. The flowers, the forest, the views were priceless!

Great hiking day going to Iron Mt. and then to Cone Peak. Wild flowers all along the way “awesome “. Met many friendly hiker during the day. Hi to the two gals we met on two different parts of the loop. Weather was cloudy but really hiking conditions was perfect, pictures weren’t as colorful but still a great hike.

My husband and I loved this hike - he was wearing our 10 month old on his back, slowing us down just a bit, but it was still fantastic. We got to the lower trail head around 9:30am and passed one family - we had the top viewing deck to ourselves. But on the way back it was a pretty constant stream of people climbing uphill. Go early- the shadows were long in the morning, keeping us cool and shaded. BEAUTIFUL flowers and views. Highly recommend.

Absolutely gorgeous wildflowers and amazing diversity of trees; a very unusual ecosystem! Be sure to do the loop as well as the climb to the viewing platform. There’s a lot of uphill, and then of course downhill, so hiking poles will save your knees! I don’t advise hiking in sandals as I saw someone doing because you need stable footing. I was somewhat disappointed to find the last mile or so back to Tombstone pass had a great deal of uphill which is always tiring at the end of a hike!

A little cloud cover on the mountains, but sunny, warm and beautiful! Lots of flowers in bloom!