Iron Mountain Trail

Iron Mountain Trail is a 3.3 mile out and back trail located near Cascadia, Oregon and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Sweet Home: Continue east on Hwy. 20 for 34 miles to Road 15 and turn right. The parking area is to your right and the trail is located across the road. A second access is off of Hwy. 20 via Civil Road (035). Turn left on Civil Road from Hwy. 20 and follow it to the end. The trail is 0.8 miles long from here. A toilet is located at this upper trailhead.

Great view, Wildflowers, sage, and volcanic formations. My GPS said it was .8 miles from the Trail head to the top. Not sure why it's rated as hard because it was pretty easy and short.

Beautiful hike. Stunning views!

Incredible sunset view. To save time on the hike, get directions to NFD Road 038 and start at that trailhead.

Completed loop from Deer Creek Trailhead. I went up Iron Mountain first and early to beat the crowds and then continued onto Cone Peak. Take a picture of map at trailhead because you need to pick up connecting trails to get back which can be a little tricky. You can also just start from Tombstone Pass. Flowers are perfect right now. Breathtaking as are the views.

Flowers at peak.

Such a beautiful trail with the most amazing views! Took my two dogs so just wanted to emphasize there is no water on this trail..... bring extra for you and dogs, especially if you go on a hot day. Many of the upper switchbacks are in direct sun with little shade. Definitely hot on their feet. Platform at top has no shade. One of the best hikes I've been on for sure!

Absolutely stunning views the entire trail. Although the trail is uphill the entire way, I would rate this a lower moderate trail. It's short enough that you can walk slowly up it, and take breaks with stunning views. Pack water! We parked on route 20 where the directions bring you to the Iron mountain parking lot on deer creek road.

This is a new favorite of mine. Parked at the main entrance. Don't let the map there confuse you, we continued driving to try and find the other trailhead and could never find it. You can also stay on the main road, pass the sign for Iron mt and park at the pullout above to take off a little extra bit of trail between the two roads. It was kind of cloudy when I went but still beautiful around every corner. Lots of wild flowers. Amazing amazing views, would be unbelievable on a clear day, 360° views . Was up there at sunset. Will definitely go back. Highly recommend. Idk if I would rate this as hard or moderate, phone got 3.7 miles RT. Very well maintained trail. We had to do a little of it in the dark on the way back and it was easy. Kid friendly, steady incline for the whole thing but my almost 4 year old ran up half of it, then I carried him the second half. 35 extra pounds on the back made it a nice workout but still very doable.

Foggy on the trek up but it was starting to lift! Stayed at top for an hour watching the views gradually emerge, and then it was sunny and blue! Wow, fabulous views! Took about 50 min to hike up to observatory, and about 30 minutes back down to the Civil Rd Trailhead.

Great hike! Our 2nd time out. Went last year, made it all the way ;)...Today, not so lucky. There is still a little snow believe it or not. My husband and I went as far as we could, didn't want to risk slipping. We will definitely be back.

one of my favorites! lovely wildflowers, gorgeous view at the top!

Absolutely beautiful hike with amazing views! The trail is full of wildflowers in the spring. The trail closes mid November for winter however going in the snow is worth the great experience! The trail is fairly moderate with a few parts of steep difficult inclines. Lots of bunnies and wildlife, including bobcats. The peak of the hike will treat you with a cool wooden balcony with a map identifying the nearby mountains and landmarks.