Herman Creek #406, Nick Eaton #447 and Gorton Creek Trail #408

Herman Creek #406, Nick Eaton #447 and Gorton Creek Trail #408 is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Indian Point is well worth the trip! Beautiful Gorge views.

First one on the trail and in the parking lot at 7:05am on 12/24/18. Hiked 8.9 miles counterclockwise from Herman Creek to Gorton Creek to Nick Eaton trail and back to Herman Creek. ( I had a pre recorded map, very helpful to have.)

I tried this trail a couple of years ago before I got into shape and I could not finish it, it was brutal and I was, barely move sore for days after. I've been hiking practically every weekend this year and I finally was able to finish this trail!!!

I did this trail counterclockwise, starting with Gorton creek was long (when you get close to the top the snow begins and much of the flat trail on Nick Eaton is covered in snow, it was not icy, so no microspikes needed 12/24/18.), with lots of switchbacks and a creek crossing and on the way down on Nick Eaton trail was brutal, my toes were smashed against the tips of my boots with every step, there are steep switchbacks on the tail end for me of this hike. My feet were so sore when I got to the Herman Creek, Pct trail, otherwise I would have gone down to check out the Herman Creek Bridge (next time!). Finished the hike at 1pm and was hiking for around 6hrs. Most of the trail is really steep so be prepared! When I got back to my car there were 4 other cars in the lot. The parking lot holds 10 cars. You must have a NW forrest pass or pay $5 day use fee. There is a pay box here. The campground when I came here is closed. The bathroom is vaulted toilet and was clean when I got there in the am, but on the smelly side when I left in the PM. I saw 6 people on the trail and all were on my descent, so after 11:30am or so. All of this trail above the power line road was affected by the eagle creek fire.

Entire trail is either charred or burnt from the Eagle creek fire... but the trail is still awesome and the veiws are incredible!.. about 1/2" snow at the top as of today

Brace yourselves, because an ass kicking incline is coming (Nick Eaton Trail)!! Personally chose to take the Nick Eaton trail up to be easier on the knees going down Gorton Creek Trail plus what the hay. Definitely can see the scars from the fires but still quite magnificent waltzing in the woods. Gets quite cool in the shade plus the wind coming through the gorge so bring some layers, aqua, and some munchies! There was even some icy patches along the ridge to the point. So be weary and happy trails!

optional scramble gives you a beautiful view. good work out. obviously lots of scars from the burn but still very worth it. booty burner.

Tricky to find the point, but really cool once you get there. The scramble up to the actual point is a little sketchy, but not too difficult. To get to the point you have to go down an unmarked foot path. We almost missed it and continued on to deadwood. Close one!

Love the view on this one.

Piles of charred wood. Very sad.

Steep in some sections that gave a nice challenge. Beautiful along the way.

Not sure why this trail is called Indians point loop. Trailhead is at Herman Creek campground. Follow herman creek trail 406. When you come to the loop, id suggest veering left onto the gorton creek trail #408. Even though it is the longer part of the loop, its is better shaded and not as steep as the Nick Eaton Trail #447, which you would take on the way down. I took the Nick Eaton trail on the way up and it was not as well covered and more steep. If you decided to take the Nick Eaton trail first, the fist three miles are pretty much inclined switch backs with little tree coverage from the fire :(. Once you get to three miles, the hike becomes much easier. Definitely suggest bringing hiking poles with you

Amazing hike and view at the end of it all, very worth the effort! First time really ever hiking seriously but was able to complete the whole trip in 5 hours with another friend. Both relatively fit, so definitely recommend if one is not very active to start a bit easier.

Hikes back open

We just tried to hike this trail and it is closed. Best to try something on the WA side.

Tried to hike this last week, someone told me the trail is closed because of the Eagle Creek fire. At least the Herman Creek Trailhead is closed from what I was told.

Monday, November 27, 2017

Beautiful Trail, did it in about 3.5 to 4 Hours. Taking the Nick Eaton trail is very hard, and watch out if you have bunions. My grandfather learned the hard way on this trail. Overall amazing, the views at the top are glorious, and a few spots along the way.Bring lunch and lots of water, climbing 3000 feet in 3.5 miles is challenging.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Pretty difficult hike, especially if you do the loop and take the Nick Eaton trail. The payoff is worth it though. If you're feeling brave and have a good sense of stability, venture out to the Indian point rock formation and be amazed at one of the best (and scariest) views in all of the gorge.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Beautiful hike that ends with a stunning view.

The incline up Nick Eaton trail was a trudge at times... felt like the 'up' might never end.
Alas it did, and the challenge made the hike all the more gratifying.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

first gnarly hike since last spring and I could not complete the loop...I was 2 miles out from the top I believe when I turned around. from the very beginning it is straight up steep trails all the way with very few flat parts and on the way down is just as brutal. there must not be many wild flowers or views unless you make it to the top or I was too busy watching my footing on the trail...

Sunday, March 26, 2017

very bad experience on this trail. be very weary of aggressive bees late summer. my husband and I were hiking on the trail about 3/4 of the way through when we were attacked by ground bees. we were chased for over 2 miles and I was stung 4 times and my husband 11 times. hiked August 2016.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I'd say this trail is a moderate/high-moderate for the avid hiker. You are gaining elevation the entire hike to the trail leading to Indian point, but it's 2500 ft in 4ish miles. I followed Sullivan's guide: take Herman creek trail to Gorton creek trail. You don't get any views because you're in the woods the entire time, but the shade is nice. At the fork for ridge cutoff &Nick Eaton trail, continue straight for a few steps and there's a steep downhill unmarked trail to your left. Follow that to Indian Point. Best views are if you climb the rock- climb the face of the rock, once you get passed the face it's fine, and even that part is easy; just go slow. You will see Adams and Helen on a clear day. On the way back I took the ridge cutoff to Nick Eaton and you gain a bit more elevation, but that hike back offers a view of Hood and the Bonneville Dam. I went this past Sunday, got to the trail head at about 2. There was ample parking and passed only a few people. The shaded trail was appreciated on such a hot day, and no mosquitoes.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Was a total up hill trail, A blast!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Great view from the top. Kind of a slog otherwise. Be sure to check out the small wildflower areas toward the top of the peak.

Monday, May 09, 2016

This was a pretty cool hike. It is very steep but in my opinion it wasn't that difficult. Maybe I missed something but the only viewpoint i saw throughout the whole trail was the pinnacle. I didn't try to scramble through the rocks because it was windy as hell and my fear of heights kicked in really bad. I did the full loop in about 4 hours with a foot injury. It was definitely worth hiking but I probably won't do it again.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Great trail. There is some cleaned up blow downs but there are still plenty large ones laying across the trail. Definitely head up the Nick Eaton way first and come back Gorton, the quick elevation gain with a bunch of switchbacks was great. Trail is in great condition and was pretty fun. The Gorge winds blew through the area all the way up. Good view of the Gorge near the top of the ridge on the Nick Eaton trail.

Friday, April 08, 2016

The nick eaton part of the loop is cool, the rest of it is pretty straightforward. Good trail.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

One of the best views you can find in Oregon rewards a series of tough inclines.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Very beautiful view! A little hard to find. Lots of fallen trees on the path! Wear gloves!

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Very nice trail, spur to the point is more difficult and un-signed

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A bit of a challenge to find but by far one of the best hikes I've ever done and the view is to good to even try to describe. Definitely a must do and the dogs had a great time.