Indian Point Loop Trail

Indian Point Loop Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Total disappointment. While people have posted some beautiful pics of the gorge, if you follow the loop trail indicated by alltrails, you will see nothing remotely worthwhile. I am moving out if state next week and choose this hike as my last one based on all the great reviews. What a waste. Wish I had known what trail to take or continue on to actually reach a scenic view.

Love the view on this one.

Piles of charred wood. Very sad.

Steep in some sections that gave a nice challenge. Beautiful along the way.

Not sure why this trail is called Indians point loop. Trailhead is at Herman Creek campground. Follow herman creek trail 406. When you come to the loop, id suggest veering left onto the gorton creek trail #408. Even though it is the longer part of the loop, its is better shaded and not as steep as the Nick Eaton Trail #447, which you would take on the way down. I took the Nick Eaton trail on the way up and it was not as well covered and more steep. If you decided to take the Nick Eaton trail first, the fist three miles are pretty much inclined switch backs with little tree coverage from the fire :(. Once you get to three miles, the hike becomes much easier. Definitely suggest bringing hiking poles with you

Amazing hike and view at the end of it all, very worth the effort! First time really ever hiking seriously but was able to complete the whole trip in 5 hours with another friend. Both relatively fit, so definitely recommend if one is not very active to start a bit easier.

Hikes back open

We just tried to hike this trail and it is closed. Best to try something on the WA side.

Tried to hike this last week, someone told me the trail is closed because of the Eagle Creek fire. At least the Herman Creek Trailhead is closed from what I was told.

Beautiful Trail, did it in about 3.5 to 4 Hours. Taking the Nick Eaton trail is very hard, and watch out if you have bunions. My grandfather learned the hard way on this trail. Overall amazing, the views at the top are glorious, and a few spots along the way.Bring lunch and lots of water, climbing 3000 feet in 3.5 miles is challenging.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Pretty difficult hike, especially if you do the loop and take the Nick Eaton trail. The payoff is worth it though. If you're feeling brave and have a good sense of stability, venture out to the Indian point rock formation and be amazed at one of the best (and scariest) views in all of the gorge.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Beautiful hike that ends with a stunning view.

The incline up Nick Eaton trail was a trudge at times... felt like the 'up' might never end.
Alas it did, and the challenge made the hike all the more gratifying.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

first gnarly hike since last spring and I could not complete the loop...I was 2 miles out from the top I believe when I turned around. from the very beginning it is straight up steep trails all the way with very few flat parts and on the way down is just as brutal. there must not be many wild flowers or views unless you make it to the top or I was too busy watching my footing on the trail...

Sunday, March 26, 2017

very bad experience on this trail. be very weary of aggressive bees late summer. my husband and I were hiking on the trail about 3/4 of the way through when we were attacked by ground bees. we were chased for over 2 miles and I was stung 4 times and my husband 11 times. hiked August 2016.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I'd say this trail is a moderate/high-moderate for the avid hiker. You are gaining elevation the entire hike to the trail leading to Indian point, but it's 2500 ft in 4ish miles. I followed Sullivan's guide: take Herman creek trail to Gorton creek trail. You don't get any views because you're in the woods the entire time, but the shade is nice. At the fork for ridge cutoff &Nick Eaton trail, continue straight for a few steps and there's a steep downhill unmarked trail to your left. Follow that to Indian Point. Best views are if you climb the rock- climb the face of the rock, once you get passed the face it's fine, and even that part is easy; just go slow. You will see Adams and Helen on a clear day. On the way back I took the ridge cutoff to Nick Eaton and you gain a bit more elevation, but that hike back offers a view of Hood and the Bonneville Dam. I went this past Sunday, got to the trail head at about 2. There was ample parking and passed only a few people. The shaded trail was appreciated on such a hot day, and no mosquitoes.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Was a total up hill trail, A blast!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Great view from the top. Kind of a slog otherwise. Be sure to check out the small wildflower areas toward the top of the peak.

Monday, May 09, 2016

This was a pretty cool hike. It is very steep but in my opinion it wasn't that difficult. Maybe I missed something but the only viewpoint i saw throughout the whole trail was the pinnacle. I didn't try to scramble through the rocks because it was windy as hell and my fear of heights kicked in really bad. I did the full loop in about 4 hours with a foot injury. It was definitely worth hiking but I probably won't do it again.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Great trail. There is some cleaned up blow downs but there are still plenty large ones laying across the trail. Definitely head up the Nick Eaton way first and come back Gorton, the quick elevation gain with a bunch of switchbacks was great. Trail is in great condition and was pretty fun. The Gorge winds blew through the area all the way up. Good view of the Gorge near the top of the ridge on the Nick Eaton trail.

Friday, April 08, 2016

The nick eaton part of the loop is cool, the rest of it is pretty straightforward. Good trail.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

One of the best views you can find in Oregon rewards a series of tough inclines.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Very beautiful view! A little hard to find. Lots of fallen trees on the path! Wear gloves!

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Very nice trail, spur to the point is more difficult and un-signed

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A bit of a challenge to find but by far one of the best hikes I've ever done and the view is to good to even try to describe. Definitely a must do and the dogs had a great time.

Thursday, June 04, 2015

Beautiful but hard. My hiking app said it was actually about 3000 feet elevation gain. I think we took the hard way! Indian point was actually difficult to find with the map we had. We had to rely on other hikers to get us in the right direction. It was totally worth the effort!

Friday, May 08, 2015

This was a great trail! With an amazing view from the point. A little complicated to actually get to the point, but well worth the hike.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

One of my favorite trails ever! Start at Herman Creek go up up up up. Awesome views of the gorge, old growth timber and more wildlife than seen on the other trails in the gorge. Be careful in late summer during mating season for elk.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

We ascended along the Gorton Creek trail. Nixon the Dog led the way. Took in the spectacular view from Indian Point for a few short moments, perched precariously atop the rocky ridge leading out to the pinnacle, before the icy wind and the bottomless precipices on either side urged us back into the comfort and safety of the surrounding woods. Descended along Nick Eaton Ridge, calves bulging and cramping through the switchbacks...