Hunchback Trail

Hunchback Trail is a 18.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

old growth

Directions from Sandy: Follow Highway 26 east to the Zigzag Ranger Station where parking is available for the trail.

Super tough switchback but totally worth the view! We were so high it was dizzying! Can't wait to go back!

I haven't made it all the way from point A to point B for the full 18 miles but I have made it passed two of the viewpoint saddles and all I can say is WOW! What great views! I especially love the rockpile viewpoint because Mt Hood looks close enough to reach out and touch! Plus class 2 scrambles are always fun!

My only grief with this trail is simply how tough it is! In 2 miles we had climbed 2000', that's a huff and puff type of climb! I will say this is a great training trail for those looking to do trails like Defiance.

I will definitely be back when I have more time and aim to get to Devil's Peak and possibly even traverse it from the backside near Kinzel Lake.

This is hands down my favorite trail to date. Its challenging at the start and then the scenery is absolutely beautiful the farther you go down. I didnt quite make it to devils peak on my trip but everything up on the ridge until you hike back down it is amazing.
Loads of people hike up the start go to the lookout and then turn around i noticed. but honestly the farther along you hike the better it gets.

Good challenging trail. I'm not sure it's difficult, but it's not for your casual hiker. It's well marked, with a handful of side trails to viewpoints. Unfortunately I went on a cloudy day, plus smoke from wildfires, so the views were not amazing, but still nice. If you are in good shape and can navigate steep downs on tired legs you will enjoy this hike.

Rigorous but rewarding!
Steep switchback starts gaining elevation quickly for the first few miles. Levels out on top with a couple up and downs. Great views of Mt Hood, with mt Jefferson and Olallie butte to the south. When I was on my way back along the ridge a dark and ominous thunderstorm was brewing over Mt Jefferson, it quickly moved over Olallie butte striking the peak repeatedly and made its way directly to Devils peak and forced me a few hundred yards off the ridge with numerous strikes and high winds before moving on to batter Mt Hood. Made it back to Zigzag ranger station in about 7 hours.

This is a good workout hike! I only done about 10 miles in and out due to time constraints. Look forward to doing this one again. Nice and quiet. I saw not a soul.

Though uphill start. Very good work out. Up to the scramble (about 1.5 hrs out all the way climbing) some nice view point. Walked another mile or so but not much to see.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Monday, August 01, 2016

Very steep but a beautiful trail and a great view of Mt. Hood!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Did the part between kinzel lake and green canyon. Epic and surprising views of mount hood. The ranger station at Devils peak was a hoot. You should do this!

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

This trail is a leg burning challenge but holy jumpin! If the hike doesn't kill ya the views and the solace sure will! Not for the faint of heart.