Humbug Mountain Trail

Humbug Mountain Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Port Orford, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,876 feet Route Type: Loop

Take a hike up the highest mountain on the Oregon Coast. This is a nice loop hike for some exercise on the wet Oregon Coast. You will hike through a mostly Douglas Fir forest on the way up the coast's highest mountain which can be seen from miles away north and south. As of Spring 2019 trees have been cleared from the summit, opening up views to the south.

this was a great hike. the first mile is pretty steep but it's not as bad after that. well worth it for the incredible views

The first mile is the steepest, but very doable! After that it levels out to a steady, easy incline to the top. Beautiful view at the top, but most of the trail is forested with just short quick peeks of the ocean on your way up and down through the trees. It was a popular hike. When we got to the top, there were about 10 people and 8-10 dogs. I did get stung by a bee on the hike, but that can happen anywhere! The hike is closer to 6 miles than 5.1.

Gorgeous place to spend a few hours hiking. Weather is changeable as you go. Spectacular views!

I was a little reluctant to do this trail with some fog but the fog actually ended up making the hike more beautiful! The weather was great. It was a sunny day. I agree with other reviews that the first mile is the hardest but not really all that hard if you exercise regularly. There are plenty of switchbacks which make it easier. Make sure to bring plenty of water. That was one mistake we made, not enough water. The views while trekking to the top are breathtaking. I stopped a few times to get some pretty landscape shots. It does take some time to get to the top but when you do, there is another gorgeous view. Unfortunately due to the fog, we weren't able to capture the beauty of the ocean but nonetheless it was still amazing and the fog actually added a more surreal effect. Then going down is a piece of cake, time consuming, but easy except on your knees, of course. I'm super glad I achieved this hike. I felt like I accomplished a lot and gained some adventure and exercise for the day. Mission accomplished!!!

Great trail, tough workout. Trail in great condition, single track most of the way. Incline all the way to the top, the trees have been cleared away for an amazing view of the coastline looking south.

View at top is fantastic....I was barely in shape for this one...lots of elevation gain. Make sure your lungs are capable for the way up and your knees can handle the way down. I was quite the the slow hiker with lunch on bench at the top. There are several benches along the way. Took this pokey hiker 4 hours.

The first mile of the trail is fairly steep, but the entire trail overall has some nice viewpoints! The summit has an amazing viewpoint of the south coastline. You definitely don’t want to miss that view!

Wonderful scenic view that stretches for miles on the way up and at the top.

recorded Humbug Mountain Trail

Nice loop trail. Great view to south where they’ve recently cleared trees at the top.

Awesome hike! The trail is well beaten so it’s very easy to follow. They also recently cut down the trees that were blocking the view so it’s an awesome look out at the top.

Well marked trail. Took 2 hours up and one hour back. A good workout for sure! We started our hike at 2:00 pm and were back at our car at 5:30. We rested and took in the beautiful view at the top for about 30 minutes.

Great hike. Shade all the way up. Nice view at the top. Well maintained. 6.7 miles including hike from parking lot/campground.

Had a great Sunday morning hike and didn't see anyone the whole way. Gorgeous views from the top and peaks between the trees on the way.

Closer to 6 miles than 5 with an approximate incline of 1700’. The first mile is the toughest by far. We did a loop - at the T take the left, it’s longer but gentler and the dogs had fresh spring water to drink. On the way down take the other direction and the views are beautiful. Much harder hike than my out of shape body should have done but I am still glad I did it. Oh, make sure you have good shoes and water (panting makes you thirsty!). Took us 2 hours and 57 minutes but I am not in great shape. Not crowded and no bugs (when we went), and amazing views at the top and a few spots along the way. Also the wildflowers were amazing.

Moderate hike not too busy

Epic views at the half way point and Summit. Beautiful, clear sunny day provided great conditions. While this trail is rated moderate, it’s a tough moderate. Going down is far more challenging than the 1800 elevation gain. Plenty of streams, Western Trillium, and other spring flowers along with benches made this a 5 star hike for me. Impressed with zero bugs. Epic hike on the highest mountain on the Oregon Coast.

Hiked this for the first time on Easter weekend, and it was pretty overcast and no view. Did it again today and it was gorgeous! Lots of benches to stop for a rest if you are so inclined. Very buggy at the top, which discouraged me from stating long, but great view.

Saw two hippies copulating at the summit. Only two people I saw going up or down. Weird hike. First steps in Oregon.

One of my coastal favorites, gets a bit busy here but if you don’t have time to actually go out into the wild, this makes a nice hillside stroll. See it now as it will only get busier

Great hike, really cool bit of preserved old growth forest. Muddy and rainy this time of year, winds at the top would give me the occasional clear view from minute to minute, took me 2.5 hrs total.

Great hike. Youth Corp is busy maintaining the trail and doing a wonderful job. Slick and Muddy this time of year, but to be expected at the end of March. The summit has been cleared and there are benches. Beautiful view! Took us about 2.75 hours, took the west fork up and east fork down.

Great hike. Made it up as a crew of a dozen or so young guys with chainsaws were just coming down from the summit after doing a fresh clearing to enhance the view. The summit is wide open to the South after their work so there is a great view of the beaches below. They created some great benches using slabs cut from the fresh timber. Trail was also recently maintained. Worth it!

this has always been a nice trail but a little disappointing when you get to the top and cant see the ocean or really anything but the surrounding trees. Well, they've logged enough off the west side to get a nice view of the ocean and the coastline extending down towards Gold Beach. it's worth a return trip.if you haven't been lately.

This is a great forest hike that gives occasional glimpses of the coast. But the real beauty of Humbug Mountain lies in taking the trail slow and absorbing the grandeur of the PNW coastal forest. It's a decently steep climb, but you can do it as a loop so that half of the hike is downhill. I heard owls hooting in the canyon below me and took a short nap on the bench at the summit. Maybe not Oregon's most exciting hike, but I would definitely do it again.

Great hike for Xmas day! There were four of us, two of them kids 7 and 9, and a dog. It was hard for the kids in 3 parts, all of them in the first mile up. Two water crossings and a huge fallen tree, but they made it up. We went up and down the west trail so I can’t speak on the east but the sun was shining and the top has a nice picnic spot to rest. There are great views of the ocean going up but none at the top. We would definitely do it again!

Thu Oct 25 2018

Unable to make it up to the end due to a slide in the east side of the trail...not able to safely go around. We were almost to the top! Very disappointed in not being able to reach the top.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Gorgeous hike, the views are there if you are looking for them. I went up the west side, down the east side. So many birds! Lots of trail maintenance has been done and there were no downed trees blocking the trail. Only down side was some road noise on the portion leading to the loop.

Thu Sep 13 2018

It's a pretty significant climb right away, but the big trees and lush greenery are worth it. The west side of the loop is steeper, but shorter. East side is much more gentle, but longer. We didn't know this, and chose to go up to the summit on the west side. Glad we did - it was nice to be rewarded with a more gentle way down. The downed trees aren't as big of a hassle as others make it seem - that's just part of hiking in the woods (and I enjoyed the extra challenge). We will do this one again, despite lack of stunning views.

Thu Aug 30 2018

Was out at the Oregon coast and passed the trailhead on 101. Decided to turn around and give it a try. Had read on here that the views are the greatest but thought I'd give it a try anyway. It's a good workout hike if that's what you're looking for. Actually felt relatively easy as I'm used to do elevation hikes anywhere from 5000 to 9000' so starting at sea level felt great. But a little more than half way up I decided to turn around as I was getting kind of bored and there were other things I wanted to explore on the coast before heading home. There a couple of signs at the trail head warning of recent cougar and bear sightings at the top of the mountain, another excuse I used to not finish the hike.