Humbug Mountain Trail

Humbug Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Port Orford, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take a hike up the highest mountain on the Oregon Coast. This is a nice loop hike for some exercise on the wet Oregon Coast. You will hike through a mostly Douglas Fir forest on the way up the coasts highest mountain which can be seen from miles away north and south. Unfortunately the top is a little overgrown so you will not have a spectacular view but there is a bench to sit down on for a rest.

To many down trees come on Oregon State this is such a great trail but the down trees made it a bummer.

Beautiful Day to be out with Family!!

This is a sweet hike uphill. The ground is soft and the forest is impressive with it's current wildflowers and stream. A mile up you choose between the East Trail (2 miles to the summit) and the West Trail (1.5 miles). The East trail has 11 major tree falls blocking the trail. You can get past them all, we did (and we are elders), but it takes some flexibility and care. The West side has one climb over, maybe two. There are other step overs along the way. A great climb that we did with ease in less than 3 hours.

The trail had multiple washouts and trees down. It was a great workout.

Awesome up hill workout with a few small peaks at the ocean.

We did this hike for the first time in eleven years. Boy has it grown up. If you're looking for a gorgeous view of the ocean, you'll get about three chances through branches. If you're after a great workout then this is the trail for you. We enjoyed it. My two year old hiked about 80 percent of it, then rode in the back pack the rest of the way. It was a lovely hike with the wonderful smell of damp to underbrush and sounds of water trickling down the mountain. 1700+ ft elevation gain pretty quick.

This trail was a nice hike if you're looking for a good workout, but we were underwhelmed with the view at the summit. All you could see were trees. There were some glimpses of nice views along the trail, but by and large, less than we expected. Would not recommend if you're looking for a hike with spectacular views.

Beautiful scenery all the way up the mountain.

Nice hike! Bring your trekking poles and water. It's a little more challenging than you would think. There are a few benches on the trail. I would recommend the East Trail up and the West down due to the grading.

This is a fun trail! It is definitely a climb.

Some pretty views of the coast.

Some pretty views of the coast.

Friday, May 19, 2017

The trees, lower vegetation, running water, and steep inclines on either side of the trail are great on the way up. The summit is a bummer honestly, but just before it, you get some nice views through some openings in the trees.

Friday, May 19, 2017

Beautiful trail! Great views throughout the hike - the ocean and forest peek through the trees. There's not much to see at the summit, but it's still worth it. I would recommend going the west side at the fork for the best views.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Great moderate trail. The elevation gain made it a great workout, especially with my multi-day pack on. I took the west loop up around to the east side down. There were a few trees in the middle of the trail, but they're easy to navigate over. There was a bench on both sides, which made it nice to sit for a minute. Great scenery! Luscious landscape! I love the southern Oregon coast trails! Very rugged, lots to see!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Beautiful hike!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Good trail. Well maintained and a few pretty ocean views. There are a few spots with downed trees blocking the trail, so you have to do a bit of a muddy scramble. The view at the top wasn't much of a view, but it was nice to lay in the grass and rest a bit before the descent.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Great hike anytime of year . Lots of uphill lots of views ..awesome forests and cool little creeks ..suggest the east summit route ,get more uphill ,can then continue on to the west view and back dwn for a nice little loop ..go check it out !!

Friday, November 18, 2016

If you're not use to doing hills this isn't the hike for you. If you enjoy seeing beautiful panoramic views of the PNW this hike isn't for you. There are less than a handful of anything close to a view on this one. I have been driving by here for a few years now and the road around it is beautiful so it was in today's plans along with a couple more shorter hikes. It's a nice hike with a nice long hill for some exercise but overall for one of the highest mountains on the Oregon coastline I was disappointed. It definitely seems that the first mile is the steepest part. I've probably done 20 hikes from Prairie Creek Redwoods to Humbug that are far better. I have a couple of friends that want to do this one and if we do it'll be the last time for me.....#278

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Enjoyable hike! Beautiful forest landscape and a few good glimpses of the ocean available. Steady climb to the summit; a good workout, but not too tough.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

too hard for me. Goes at an incline up the hill/mountain 3 miles then 3 miles downhill back. I am not ready for this hike at my skill level at this time. A do over, one day

Saturday, July 23, 2016

This was a great hike! Steady uphill and got the blood pumping. It was a rainy day, but still absolutely beautiful. I'm definitely going to do this trail again some day when the sun's out so I can actually see the ocean!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Nice hike...

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Nice trail! Great uphill workout with Forrest beauty topped off with an ocean view! It was a bit misty the day I was here and the higher up I got put me into the fog. I enjoyed the workout and beauty this trail offered.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Good steep hike, but not too difficult. Beautiful! Amazing forest and ocean views! Was a clear day, would love to come back and hike it in a bit of fog.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

I hiked this trail with my dog on Sunday. It was rainy and foggy...and absolutely beautiful! I highly recommend this to any moderate/experienced hiker. The trail is very narrow and pretty steep in places. My legs are still sore! I loved the workout and will definitely go back again when the weather is more clear. I could hear the ocean at various different points along the trail, but couldn't see anything because of the fog and rain clouds.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Great trail... Very steep... Wish there was a better view at the top.

Saturday, March 07, 2015

Great views along the west trail, but the summit was a little disappointing. Too many trees in the way of the ocean view.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

This is a fun hike. It is very pretty and wooded with a couple of little brooks crossing the trail. Its an elevation climb of about 1750 feet. If you leave from the designated parking lot along the 101, it's 3 miles to the summit if you go left at the fork about halfway up or 2.5 total if you go right. The summit doesn't provide much of a view, and you can hear the cars on the 101 for the first stretch, but otherwise, it is beautiful, offering amazing views through the trees in a couple of spots.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Beautiful hike. I went in June '14 and it was cloudy and misting on us through the dense trees near the top. Not much a view due to all the fog but the journey up and back was gorgeous. There are many switch backs and steep in some stretches, but being that it was cool and only 3 miles up it made it very doable, and worth doing again. We went with an 11 year old and he did great the entire trail. Keep an eye out for salamanders and slugs too!