Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Humbug Mountain Trail

Humbug Mountain Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Port Orford, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take a hike up the highest mountain on the Oregon Coast. This is a nice loop hike for some exercise on the wet Oregon Coast. You will hike through a mostly Douglas Fir forest on the way up the coasts highest mountain which can be seen from miles away north and south. Unfortunately the top is a little overgrown so you will not have a spectacular view but there is a bench to sit down on for a rest.

this has always been a nice trail but a little disappointing when you get to the top and cant see the ocean or really anything but the surrounding trees. Well, they've logged enough off the west side to get a nice view of the ocean and the coastline extending down towards Gold Beach. it's worth a return trip.if you haven't been lately.

This is a great forest hike that gives occasional glimpses of the coast. But the real beauty of Humbug Mountain lies in taking the trail slow and absorbing the grandeur of the PNW coastal forest. It's a decently steep climb, but you can do it as a loop so that half of the hike is downhill. I heard owls hooting in the canyon below me and took a short nap on the bench at the summit. Maybe not Oregon's most exciting hike, but I would definitely do it again.

Great hike for Xmas day! There were four of us, two of them kids 7 and 9, and a dog. It was hard for the kids in 3 parts, all of them in the first mile up. Two water crossings and a huge fallen tree, but they made it up. We went up and down the west trail so I can’t speak on the east but the sun was shining and the top has a nice picnic spot to rest. There are great views of the ocean going up but none at the top. We would definitely do it again!

Unable to make it up to the end due to a slide in the east side of the trail...not able to safely go around. We were almost to the top! Very disappointed in not being able to reach the top.

Gorgeous hike, the views are there if you are looking for them. I went up the west side, down the east side. So many birds! Lots of trail maintenance has been done and there were no downed trees blocking the trail. Only down side was some road noise on the portion leading to the loop.

It's a pretty significant climb right away, but the big trees and lush greenery are worth it. The west side of the loop is steeper, but shorter. East side is much more gentle, but longer. We didn't know this, and chose to go up to the summit on the west side. Glad we did - it was nice to be rewarded with a more gentle way down. The downed trees aren't as big of a hassle as others make it seem - that's just part of hiking in the woods (and I enjoyed the extra challenge). We will do this one again, despite lack of stunning views.

Was out at the Oregon coast and passed the trailhead on 101. Decided to turn around and give it a try. Had read on here that the views are the greatest but thought I'd give it a try anyway. It's a good workout hike if that's what you're looking for. Actually felt relatively easy as I'm used to do elevation hikes anywhere from 5000 to 9000' so starting at sea level felt great. But a little more than half way up I decided to turn around as I was getting kind of bored and there were other things I wanted to explore on the coast before heading home. There a couple of signs at the trail head warning of recent cougar and bear sightings at the top of the mountain, another excuse I used to not finish the hike.

We thoroughly enjoyed this trail. As my first hike at 64 it seemed difficult to me. We had been doing some town walks of 3 to 4 miles but they seemed like a piece of cake in comparison. Will do this trail again someday

The trail is a little “wild” there are quite a few fallen trees and a few overgrown areas, but overall it is a nice easy day hike. The entire trail is shaded and while there is no great sweeping ocean view at the top there are some great little views along the way so be sure to keep a look out for them!

Lots of fallen trees in the way and overgrown areas

good hike ...despite a few fallen trees here and there.⛰

The east trail had probably two dozen tree falls to cross. Pretty unenjoyable. West trail was a lot better. The summit has no coastal views so if that’s what you’re looking for I’d go with another trail. Minimal coastal views on the switchbacks. Good workout.

To many down trees come on Oregon State this is such a great trail but the down trees made it a bummer.

Beautiful Day to be out with Family!!

This is a sweet hike uphill. The ground is soft and the forest is impressive with it's current wildflowers and stream. A mile up you choose between the East Trail (2 miles to the summit) and the West Trail (1.5 miles). The East trail has 11 major tree falls blocking the trail. You can get past them all, we did (and we are elders), but it takes some flexibility and care. The West side has one climb over, maybe two. There are other step overs along the way. A great climb that we did with ease in less than 3 hours.

The trail had multiple washouts and trees down. It was a great workout.

Awesome up hill workout with a few small peaks at the ocean.

Thursday, January 04, 2018

We did this hike for the first time in eleven years. Boy has it grown up. If you're looking for a gorgeous view of the ocean, you'll get about three chances through branches. If you're after a great workout then this is the trail for you. We enjoyed it. My two year old hiked about 80 percent of it, then rode in the back pack the rest of the way. It was a lovely hike with the wonderful smell of damp to underbrush and sounds of water trickling down the mountain. 1700+ ft elevation gain pretty quick.

Friday, December 15, 2017

This trail was a nice hike if you're looking for a good workout, but we were underwhelmed with the view at the summit. All you could see were trees. There were some glimpses of nice views along the trail, but by and large, less than we expected. Would not recommend if you're looking for a hike with spectacular views.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Beautiful scenery all the way up the mountain.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Nice hike! Bring your trekking poles and water. It's a little more challenging than you would think. There are a few benches on the trail. I would recommend the East Trail up and the West down due to the grading.

Monday, July 31, 2017

This is a fun trail! It is definitely a climb.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Some pretty views of the coast.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Some pretty views of the coast.

Friday, May 19, 2017

The trees, lower vegetation, running water, and steep inclines on either side of the trail are great on the way up. The summit is a bummer honestly, but just before it, you get some nice views through some openings in the trees.

Friday, May 19, 2017

Beautiful trail! Great views throughout the hike - the ocean and forest peek through the trees. There's not much to see at the summit, but it's still worth it. I would recommend going the west side at the fork for the best views.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Great moderate trail. The elevation gain made it a great workout, especially with my multi-day pack on. I took the west loop up around to the east side down. There were a few trees in the middle of the trail, but they're easy to navigate over. There was a bench on both sides, which made it nice to sit for a minute. Great scenery! Luscious landscape! I love the southern Oregon coast trails! Very rugged, lots to see!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Beautiful hike!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Good trail. Well maintained and a few pretty ocean views. There are a few spots with downed trees blocking the trail, so you have to do a bit of a muddy scramble. The view at the top wasn't much of a view, but it was nice to lay in the grass and rest a bit before the descent.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Great hike anytime of year . Lots of uphill lots of views ..awesome forests and cool little creeks ..suggest the east summit route ,get more uphill ,can then continue on to the west view and back dwn for a nice little loop ..go check it out !!