Horsetail, Ponytail, Oneonta, and Triple Falls via the Oneonta Trail (CLOSED)

Horsetail, Ponytail, Oneonta, and Triple Falls via the Oneonta Trail (CLOSED) is a 5.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bonneville, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1991 feet

closed

An easy hike in and out with four great waterfalls and beautiful trees along the way. The trail starts out with a few switchbacks that eventually turn into a more moderately sloped trail to the first falls, Pony Tail Falls. If you keep going the trail wanders around and then down to some more switchback that lead to a bridge over the Oneonta Gorge. Following the trail will take you to a fork that if you follow to the left will take you to Triple Falls, the Forest Service is repairing the trail after a tree fell last winter. The right fork will take you back to the Scenic Highway. Parts of the trail are steep and rocky but overall the trail is fairly easy.

Push through every step, the outcome is worth it! It can be a tough hike, but that's the gorge. Push through, and you see some of the most beautiful parts of Oregon.

We only visited the lower part of this trail because we were on our way to Multnomah falls and made a quick pit stop. The waterfall is strong and powerful and if it's windy you'll definitely get some mist on you. It's a very nice area to stop and look at scenery and to hike if you're aiming for this hike. There's a huge pond at the bottom of the waterfall that you can walk down to but don't expect to not get wet!

The beginning was intense for me. Steep uphill with lots of rocks. Once you get past that part the trail isn't bad at all. Some great views and dog friendly. Mostly shaded so nice on a hot summer day.

Nice trail with great views and awesome waterfalls. Start at Ponytail then hike up some good views. Then down to Horsetail falls, which you can walk underneath (great photos).

When you come to the bride over Oneonta Creek, I HIGHLY recommend you hike up the creek to Upper Oneonta Falls. That hike has many, many little falls and swimming holes, and you'll have much more privacy on this hike (as most people either don't know or don't hike this one). Afterwards, hike back down to the bridge and head to Triple Falls.

AND AllTrails doesn't seem to have a trail for the Lower Oneonta Gorge, but make sure you don't miss that one. It'll have more people, but you can jump in the COLD water and take a swim in the waterfall at the end. Great photos and tons of fun.

Great hike and workout, especially in the summertime. I agree with the 'hard' rating being as a majority of this hike is pretty steep up the mountainside. It's well worth the journey up!

This was an amazing hike so much to see and take in! The waterfalls were beautiful, if I did it again I would start earlier I started really late and felt rushed and wasn't really able to enjoy the scenery as much as I had hoped to. A little precarious when you start off but it gets better for sure.

What a great hike! I love this hike. the hard part is the very beginning with the steep incline for roughly 3/4's of a mile. Soon after is the first beautiful waterfall. There's a lot to see with it having beautiful views of the Gorge and the falls. There are also spots up the creek of the second waterfall that is beautiful.

Multiple cool waterfalls wrapped up in one nice hike, culminating in Triple Falls for the grand finale! I look forward to going back earlier in the season when the water is flowing even better.

Beautiful but hard trek.

went to ponytail from Ainsworth campground. at least half of the path is rock. the bottom of my feet didn't enjoy that. otherwise I'd give it 5 stars. The upper horsetail falls are very cool, tons of fun going under the falls. Lower horsetail is busier being near the parking lot but enjoyable and a good picnic spot.

Loved this hike very much! I don't like crowds but everyone was so friendly and helped each other over the log jam, it was great. We walked below the falls then above the falls. And around to Horsetail. I forgot to record the hike below the falls. Definitely want to do this again and hike out to triple falls.

very nicetrail and falls

A lot of the trail is rocky and steep, but the waterfalls, creeks, and greenery is worth the effort! The area at the top of triple falls is a great place to take a break to snack, cool off in the shade, play in the creek, etc.

kick butt trail with lots of uphill grinds. many parts are eroded so be careful. Be prepared to enjoy the water when at the top. .8mi in you can cut off to ponytail and horsetail falls too.

Crowded in summer.

Loved it!

Great short hike! Beautiful ! Get there early to pass the crowd

The trail gets better and better the further up you go. Highly recommended. It's difficult at times as it's uphill all the way. Need walking boots.

Would say this is a moderate-rated hike. The trail goes along the ridge overlooking the gorge. Nice wildflowers here and there and nice variety of falls within short distance . Go for a dip at the top of Triple Falls!

The falls are amazing! I also loved the wildflowers.

Wonderful views of waterfalls. I would definitely do it again!

This trail was absolutely amazing. So amazing that I might do it again while I'm here in Portland for 2 weeks. It's rated as hard, and in my opinion, it definitely is. Others have said it's moderate and not that hard... but it is! I've done a bit of hiking as I used to live in Colorado and Peru. It's straight up hill pretty much until you get to Triple Falls, but it's 110% worth it. It took me 2 hours to get to Triple Falls and back to lower Horsetail Falls.

Monday, June 19, 2017

So this trail. It's truly amazing. Slippery in May but worth every bit.

Monday, June 05, 2017

I hiked this two days ago and it was beautiful! I would not rate this a hard hike. I would say easy-medium.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Very beautiful waterfall great!!!!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

great hike!

Monday, May 29, 2017

One of my favorites. 4 waterfalls (one of which you walk behind), lots of beautiful scenery, and a walk beside a gorgeous creek. Fairly difficult but highly recommend.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Was perfect weather for a amazing hike

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Great hike !! Awesome views !! I wouldn't grade this hike as hard though more like moderate . Went past horsetail falls by about a mile and a half . Total hike for us was about 8 miles . Try and be there before 8 on the weekends Or you'll get stuck behind all the yahoos !! Oh and whatever you do , do not drive by Multnomah falls it'll take you a hour to get by all the crazies !!

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

My friend and I backpacked the Rock of Ages Ridge trail in the early '90's. This was a brutal 3000 ft elevation gain in 3 miles. Would recommend day packs only.