Horse Rock Ridge Research Natural Area

Horse Rock Ridge Research Natural Area is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sweet Home, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,128 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Made this an extended hike by walking in, and it was well worth it. Great variety of scenery and terrain.

Beautiful even though it was foggy the whole time. Took my 10 year old and carried my 2 year old in hiking backpack. No snow or ice today, I sure was hoping to see some snow though! We were the only ones on the trail!

icy

Very nice hike! Not marked at all, but we didn't expect that. The comments giving guidance were very accurate and helpful. There was snow on most of the trail, and it got pretty thick towards the end. For us, the entire hike, out and back, took about 2 hours and 30 minutes, but we did take a few breaks and a break at the outcropping for pictures, as well as had a slower pace in the beginning. We went around 10 and there was a lot of fog. Still very enjoyable and good views when the fog shifted. Wear good hiking shoes with good traction! It was muddy and got even worse as the ice melted throughout the morning. The trek down had a couple slips. Overall, would reccommend.

This trail is my favorite! It’s a little hard to get too but it has a beautiful view and there’s lots of trees and wildflowers in the summer. The hike also has small patches of snow in December.

it does not feel like 3.5 miles, this trail is so diverse, and dimensional. I kept going on into the woods, past the ridge and caves, but the trail does just stop at some point, and comes to a road. I imagine the road is for the cell tower maintenance that you see further in. but it is a very low key trail. the trail isnt super maintained, which personally I prefer.

This is a lovely trail! Definitely wear your good hiking boots, this isn't one to try and wear tennis shoes or sandals on. Amazing views and good variety. The trailhead is easy to find with google maps. The trail itself is behind the chain link fence, and there's no need to worry about the posted signs - they only forbid motorized activity. I'll be coming back for sure.

icy

Amazing views, Lush rolling hills, crisp mountain air! Highly recommend this trail, some short steep parts, wear good shoes!

Hiked on 11-16 with my dog. It was really easy to find the trailhead using the ping from All Trails-nice paved drive all the way until the parking. We saw 6 other groups over the 4 miles, but it definitely didn't feel too clogged. There was a big group taking family photos at about a mile in but the rest were other hikers. Trail was well maintained, easy to follow, and not too difficult. It's nice work out if you take it fast. It took me 1 hour and 33 minutes including stops. We will be back!

Beautiful views at the top but definitely steep and rocky not a wet weather hike

Climbed above the clouds, beautiful views! Varied terrain made it seem longer than it was.

Absolutely incredible! Super fun terrain and miraculous views!

Tips to find it - trust gps and stay on the paved road, there are no signs at all but my iPhone took me to the trailhead, there is space for 2-3 cars and the entrance is behind the chain link fence. Great little hike with amazing views, I loved it.

I recommend this trail for its views and as a dynamic hike with options. it is LEG DAY on this hike- aching calves and jelly knees! amazing sights. plenty of nice sitting or napping sites

This was such a great trail!! There were some up and downs when you get into the meadow and the trail was a bit muddy, but that wasn't a big deal. The trail provided some awesome views of the three sisters, My. Jefferson, and the surrounding hills. One of my favorite hikes ever! Can't wait till I do it again!

great morning hike. great conditions. beautiful views.

Incredible hike!!! Basically 3 legs; first part is wooded easy hiking, second is a bit more intense trail wise but has amazing mountain views, third part feels like your on a road but is well worth it once you get over the hill for the epic final view!!!