Horse Rock Ridge Research Natural Area

Horse Rock Ridge Research Natural Area is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sweet Home, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

brilliant! good trail, couple steep spots, amazing views, flowers trees birds beautiful!

Amazing views... SO many flowers! and definitely a workout. If you go to the "end" and back (to the radio tower) its 4 miles in and out. The road up to the hike (from the Sweet Home side) is a one lane twisty road for about 4 miles... coming up that road was the scary part. If you run into traffic going the other way, it feels like there's not sufficient room for cars to pass each other most of the way... hope I never have to find out. Very worth the drive here. Loved it!

Nice Hike, Make Sure You Check The weather Before you Go ..today it Was cloudy, so I Wasn't Able To See The View..

Awesome views!!!! Trail was very steep in places but it was a good hike with a variety of scenery. I would have liked to see more wildflowers but maybe later in the summer there will be more.

Fabulous. I loved this hike. Tons of wildflowers and fabulous views. There were a few tough spots as once you get to the meadow there are a number of ups and downs, and they are steep. I had to get on my butt to get down on a couple. However, it was worth the effort. I did keep my dog on a lead as there are cliffs, very steep down overs, and some poison oak around. I thank the reviewer who gave very good directions to finding the trail. I don't think I would have found it without the specifics. Thank you TJ Banker. I will come back.

I have hiked this trail a few times, definitely gets busier on the weekends. Great views and plenty of resting/ viewing spots for older kids. I hiked this trail with two 10 year olds with no problem. Great views!

Amazing views! We were the only ones there midweek. Wild flowers are blooming.
I think the hike is easy to moderate in the first half. The first half I would definitely say is family friendly. After that it becomes moderate to difficult. Some areas are steep and I had to bear crawl.

Felt like being on the set of The Sound of Music!

This is one of my favorite hikes!

Just finished minutes ago and it is a great hike with awesome views of at least 5 peaks in the cascades.
It is true that it is unmarked and harder to find the trailhead, but in William Sullivan's book he gives the easiest directions.
Set trip odometer to 0 at the parking lot for shotgun creek park and continue up the paved road for 5.7 miles. Stick to all "paved" forks to the right. you will pass a rock stockpile on your left around the 4mi. mark. Continue, on the "paved" road till just between 5.7 and 5.8 on your odometer. LOOK LEFT... you will see a gravel spur road, take it left and park in one of the 4 spaces avail. Hike the spur road to a rock pile and head through the chain link gate. You're there man.
Lots of log hopping on the trail to deter OHV use. Great uphill grade until after the meadow, then there are some steep ups and downs. The last is pretty steep, glad I had my trekking poles.
At the top expect views of Jefferson, sisters and diamond on a clear day. Enjoy lunch in a shady outcropping and the birds and wildlife around you. Good hike altogether, maybe not the best for kids.

The best place I have hiked in Oregon yet! Had an amazing day with the wife and pup, beautiful views and amazing wildflower species diversity!

The area is pretty but we never found the trailhead. Ended up just parking the car and wandering off a dirt road. Not very well marked. We ran into someone else who was also lost trying to find it. If someone could post better directions it would be great.

Epic views! When you near the radio tower, unless you’re an atv, ignore the sign and proceed to continue the hike onto a logging road for a while and to see the other side of the ridge including I-5, Mary’s Peak, and the coastal range.

this place is breathtaking. so worth the drive out to it. The hike was pretty moderate, some uphill incline and the path is beaten up in some spots and deep inclines as well. I had my ACL reconstructed about 5 years ago. still have some issues with it but I was able to do this trail.

The view is breathtaking! ❤️❤️❤️

Gorgeous hike if you get a sunny day. The trail head isn't clearly marked, but the directions do take you straight there. Just head through the fence and you'll eventually get to the ridge. If it rained at all the trail will get super muddy, and it's steep in some places to be prepared to get a little dirty.

Nice easy trail but with some hills. We encountered a little snow and some mud but the views are very nice.

This hike was absolutely amazing. Views were breathtaking. Hike was definitely moderate, pretty steep at times. Lots of cliffs. Even a small cave. Bit of snow on the ground still. Definitely wear hiking boots, very muddy. Couldn’t ask for a better hike so close to town, felt like I was in a different world.

Great hike with beautiful views. Trailhead was a bit hard to find, but maps led me to it (there just wasn’t any indication for a trail). End of the trail is on a dirt road which I wasn’t expecting so I kept going past the “ending” only to find out I had finished it a while ago. Not much parking, which was fine because there was only me. Pretty muddy as well

Great trail, easy to find. Still a little slick in a couple of spots, and the snow is pretty much gone. I went beyond the trail to the road and hiked the toad for a bit just to make the hike a little longer. But really awesome views

Great trail for all ages. A bit muddy this time of year. If anyone finds a pair of boots up there, my daughter left them along the outside of the van and I took off not knowing, shoot me a message. marchavarin@hotmail.com

It didn’t take long to find a view on this trail. After parking along the road, it only took about 10 minutes to hike through a wooded path. The trail opened up into rocky, rolling hills with a couple great photo opportunities. The trailhead is a bit difficult to find, but it’s worth it.

Was a little bit of a tough find off the road, but once you get to it it’s not too bad to stay on track. The snow up there makes it a bit slippery in spots, but if you come prepared, the views are absolutely spectacular! My pup & I will definitely be back!

This trail is not easy for sure, there were parts that were very muddy and nearly washed out. Careful where you step else you could slide down the mountain. Totally worth the risk however, the further you go the better the views. Still snow on the ground in March, one of the most beautiful hikes I've encountered yet. Another downfall would be the sound of gun fire from below, but if you can block out the noise this can be a relatively peaceful hike.

Awesome views!
For being so far west, the large meadow system atop horse rock ridge offers stunning views of high cascade peaks that will surprise most visitors.

This hike was AMAZING! Honestly, one of my favorite hikes I’ve ever been on. You start in wooded beauty then break out into a mountainside meadow. The views were breathtaking. The low traffic made for a perfect, relaxing Saturday afternoon with the pups. Easy trail for dogs. My pups enjoyed the freedom of low traffic and being able to explore off leash. Through the duration of the hike, I only saw one other couple on the trail. It was perfect serenity.

AMAZING views!! We did this hike 2/15/18 and There was snow! It was slippery at parts, and steep but well worth it. Once you get to the research building go down the road to see another amazing view. That’s was as far as we went but I’m sure you could follow that road for more adventures.

great hike, AMAZING views!! not too difficult, just a few steep areas. highly recommended!

This trail has such amazing views of the Valley! Tricky to find- but once you do find it- you will be so glad you did.

Great trail! Views are fantastic... the only negative was all the shooting that could be heard in the valley below.