Hood River Mountain Loop

Hood River Mountain Loop is a 4.7 mile loop trail located near Hood River, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 984 feet Route Type: Loop

Meh. Did it counterclockwise. A combination of old logging roads, clear cuts, power lines and such. You get the idea. Not so nice. I concur the backside is a bit of a maze. There are much better options out there.

I (kind of) did this Monday. That story short, I ended up dead middle of the red circle because I followed a cattle trail to the right past the 1st gate after parking. It ended up connecting so I finished it clockwise to my car. I spent half an hour with this map with the blue (me) searching for the actual trailhead. Nothing. Today, Friday, I did it counter clockwise to see where it came out. Same irritating nothing so I just marched across the field lol. If someone could tell me where to start clockwise I'd appreciate it!! As for the hike, as a semi-beginner all the hills kicked my calves ass. Going counter clockwise the whole way I had to use the map 3 times to stay on the right trail, backtracking a couple times. Also, hard to enjoy the scenery when you're avoiding dog everywhere

We went counterclockwise. The first part is uphill and boring, but it got much better at the top. Some great views and nice secluded wooded areas. Thank Heavens for AllTrails since it would be fairly easy to get lost.

The trail is hard to see easy to get lost

Nice little local trail. Not epic like being on Hood or Adams but very secluded. Glad to hear that people are put off by the lack of trail markings on the eastern half but it’s actually pretty simple if you have a decent sense of where you are. If you realize that you’re making a big loop then you just keep taking all the lefts (assuming you’re going counter-clockwise). These “trails” are actually all old double-track roads so it’s not hard to see your way. Probably 500 ft climb in first mile then another 500 ft in the last mile. I clocked 4.5 mi in 1 hr 20 min.

Beautiful view at the top! We saw Rainier and Hood!

Like other reviewers we went up the hill first then cut across the road instead of doing the full loop. We tried going to other way first and didn’t want to try to keep track of where we were on the map because the trail is so undefined. Highly recommend. Beautiful views of Rainer and Hood today. Clouds covered Jefferson.

piss poor trail marking..

The view was nice but the trail was not. Didn’t finish entire hike. Cuts losses and headed back to car on elder road.

The climb up the fire road was uninteresting and not technical, but steep so it offers a good workout. Pretty rough with loose rock so, hard to run this section. Views of Adams and the Gorge and Hood when you get to the top are stellar.

15/July/2019. My daughter and I hiked this trail and at the very beginning it was a good climb uphill and thereafter was pretty moderate with a variety of vegetation, trees, and plants. We saw wildlife to include approximately eight turkeys. We both enjoyed it however the trail is not well marked so you must use good land navigation or have a GPS. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a moderate difficulty trail with a variety of terrain and vegetation.

Great hike. We started by going uphill and saw great views of Rainer, St Helens and Hood. When we met back with the road, we ended up ending the loop early and taking it back down since the other trail seemed a little more difficult to see.

Beautiful viewpoint of the Hood River valley. You can see Mt Hood to Mt Adams. Much diversity in landscape when you do the loop. We did not see another person along the entire tail.

We saw lazuli buntings, black headed grossbeaks, western tanagers, and a pileated woodpecker to name a few, on this hike! Great wildflowers and glorious views of Mt. Hood and the Colombia Gorge

recorded Hood River Mountain Loop