Hobbit Trail and China Creek Trail Loop

Hobbit Trail and China Creek Trail Loop is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florence, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This loop trail is part of Carl G Washburne Memorial State Park. The trails are well marked and maintained. The Hobbit Trail has small chutes and openings in the sand and vegetation at the end of the trail that you must go through to make access onto the beach. Children especially love this fun adventure. There are several Hobbit holes to pick from besides the main one and provides some different options. China Creek trail meanders through some beautiful moss covered lush green forests and has a few crossings of China Creek.

This is a fun one because it winds down to the beach, not the best views but still well worth it

It was only ok. I did enjoy the walk back on the beach.

I rated this hike a 5 mostly bc of the breathtaking views.
I didn't know there was a record feature on this app, otherwise I would've recorded my hike. I actually only did the 1/2 mile (?) hobbit trail.
The moderate part of the hike for me was the come back to the street from the beach.
Oregon is a beautiful state. I highly recommend ANY ONE visiting here.
There was no cost to hike this trail. It is also very close to the Heceta lighthouse. You could do both easily in a day.

Fell in love with the China loop part

The Hobbit trail was by far the best part of this hike. It's a tiny trail but leads to a great beach with awesome views. If taking the China Creek loop be prepared for a pretty steep trek.

Great hike with forest and beach. They are still working on replacing the bridge but it was usable.

Magical!!!

This trail is magical! You hike through beautiful forest and suddenly come out onto a private beach. I have never seen this area crowded. The hike is very short and easy but it still makes you feel like you have moved a little. Simple but sweet! As a side note, the trailhead can be hard to spot on the highway. It's on the left side going northbound and slightly set back. Hopefully there is another car parked to help!

I made this hike a few weeks ago, Took the Hobbit trail to the beach, walked the beach to Washburne, then crossed the highway preparing to take the Valley trail back but found a sign telling me that portion was closed. So, I did the only thing I thought I could do and hiked the mile and a half back to my car along the 101. A truck tried to change lanes, almost hit me, and knocked me down and embankment where I twisted my ankle.

I went back yesterday and hiked the 1/4 mile to the barricade from the Hobbit trail head parking area.... and the "barricade" is simply a little sign hung over a fully functional bridge. After watching hikers and volunteers cross it with no issue, I did too. Afterward, I spoke with a Ranger who told me the hillside is slowly eroding so they closed the bridge as a precautionary measure.

Word to the wise: If you find yourself in the same position, TAKE THE VALLEY TRAIL ANYWAY! Crossing a six foot long bridge that may collapse in a year or two is far less dangerous than taking your life in your hands to take the 101 back!

P.S. The hike is peaceful and beautiful :)

Unfortunately, the China Creek trail is still closed. But the trail from the HWY down to Hobbit Beach was beautiful. Can' wait to go back and do the full loop.