Hobbit Trail and China Creek Trail Loop

Hobbit Trail and China Creek Trail Loop is a 7.4 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florence, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.4 km
111 m

beach

This loop trail is part of Carl G Washburne Memorial State Park. The trails are well marked and maintained. The Hobbit Trail has small chutes and openings in the sand and vegetation at the end of the trail that you must go through to make access onto the beach. Children especially love this fun adventure. There are several Hobbit holes to pick from besides the main one and provides some different options. China Creek trail meanders through some beautiful moss covered lush green forests and has a few crossings of China Creek.

Perfect trail run

Favorite coastal hike. Connected to another trail and ended up doing 7.5 miles. Every bit of it beautiful!

One of my favorites and worth trying out. Only thing id say is if it's a cold, windy, and/or rainy day id skip the beach and go back the way you came. Ive also noticed when its rainy this trail doesn't get too terribly muddy. Theres only a few spots. Most pretty good.

I love this trail. It’s a 4.5 mile loop and it doesn’t even feel like it! The beach is a beautiful addition to the woodsy hike across the highway. There is also a separate trail to the right on the woods side, not sure where it goes as my friend and I ran into a giant daddy long leg and went back to the main trail!

my favorite

It's a nice little combined trail stroll.

Quaint & fun little trail

Love this trail! Check it out sometime!

Nice trail. Liked the diversity of forest & beach, we added the out and back to the lighthouse.

Nice trail through beautiful forest landing you on a pretty stretch of the beach. Watch your step on the roots.

beautiful hike took my 3 children my doggy (leashed) and there are many places to hike and if you need to rest!

Fun hike-lots of flat sections

Beautiful trail!!!! I recommend it. Goes to a very nice beach.

Great view at the bottom. Interesting trail.

Different types of environments from beach to forrest. Really beautiful.

If hiking Hobbit trail via China Creek & plan on following the All Trails map. Be sure to pull up map directions on phone prior to entering Carl G. Washburne parking lot as no signal. Also the trailhead to China Creek is closed so only portion to the trail is that along the beach. Beach was great but Very Windy & cool. So maybe the hike to Lighthouse would be great alternative. But overall good hike can't wait to once bridge construction is completed.

A little more than i expected. Nice trail but a bit hilly. My knee was not holding up well going down so i had to retreat knowing that if i went all the way down it would be hell on my knee to come back up. I will try this again after i workout my knee more. Pretty trail though.

beautiful half mile in, then a long stroll on the beach before heading back. I'm pretty sure it's the hike back up to the trail head that makes this moderate.

It is a nice hike that the whole family can enjoy.

Wonderful views and a great workout!! Love this one!!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Great trail. Very well maintained and great beach.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

This is a fun one because it winds down to the beach, not the best views but still well worth it

Sunday, April 02, 2017

It was only ok. I did enjoy the walk back on the beach.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

I rated this hike a 5 mostly bc of the breathtaking views.
I didn't know there was a record feature on this app, otherwise I would've recorded my hike. I actually only did the 1/2 mile (?) hobbit trail.
The moderate part of the hike for me was the come back to the street from the beach.
Oregon is a beautiful state. I highly recommend ANY ONE visiting here.
There was no cost to hike this trail. It is also very close to the Heceta lighthouse. You could do both easily in a day.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Fell in love with the China loop part

Friday, January 27, 2017

The Hobbit trail was by far the best part of this hike. It's a tiny trail but leads to a great beach with awesome views. If taking the China Creek loop be prepared for a pretty steep trek.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Great hike with forest and beach. They are still working on replacing the bridge but it was usable.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Magical!!!

Thursday, May 05, 2016

This trail is magical! You hike through beautiful forest and suddenly come out onto a private beach. I have never seen this area crowded. The hike is very short and easy but it still makes you feel like you have moved a little. Simple but sweet! As a side note, the trailhead can be hard to spot on the highway. It's on the left side going northbound and slightly set back. Hopefully there is another car parked to help!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

I made this hike a few weeks ago, Took the Hobbit trail to the beach, walked the beach to Washburne, then crossed the highway preparing to take the Valley trail back but found a sign telling me that portion was closed. So, I did the only thing I thought I could do and hiked the mile and a half back to my car along the 101. A truck tried to change lanes, almost hit me, and knocked me down and embankment where I twisted my ankle.

I went back yesterday and hiked the 1/4 mile to the barricade from the Hobbit trail head parking area.... and the "barricade" is simply a little sign hung over a fully functional bridge. After watching hikers and volunteers cross it with no issue, I did too. Afterward, I spoke with a Ranger who told me the hillside is slowly eroding so they closed the bridge as a precautionary measure.

Word to the wise: If you find yourself in the same position, TAKE THE VALLEY TRAIL ANYWAY! Crossing a six foot long bridge that may collapse in a year or two is far less dangerous than taking your life in your hands to take the 101 back!

P.S. The hike is peaceful and beautiful :)