Hobbit Trail and China Creek Trail Loop

Hobbit Trail and China Creek Trail Loop is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florence, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This loop trail is part of Carl G Washburne Memorial State Park. The trails are well marked and maintained. The Hobbit Trail has small chutes and openings in the sand and vegetation at the end of the trail that you must go through to make access onto the beach. Children especially love this fun adventure. There are several Hobbit holes to pick from besides the main one and provides some different options. China Creek trail meanders through some beautiful moss covered lush green forests and has a few crossings of China Creek.

Quaint & fun little trail

Love this trail! Check it out sometime!

Nice trail. Liked the diversity of forest & beach, we added the out and back to the lighthouse.

Nice trail through beautiful forest landing you on a pretty stretch of the beach. Watch your step on the roots.

beautiful hike took my 3 children my doggy (leashed) and there are many places to hike and if you need to rest!

Fun hike-lots of flat sections

Beautiful trail!!!! I recommend it. Goes to a very nice beach.

Great view at the bottom. Interesting trail.

Different types of environments from beach to forrest. Really beautiful.

If hiking Hobbit trail via China Creek & plan on following the All Trails map. Be sure to pull up map directions on phone prior to entering Carl G. Washburne parking lot as no signal. Also the trailhead to China Creek is closed so only portion to the trail is that along the beach. Beach was great but Very Windy & cool. So maybe the hike to Lighthouse would be great alternative. But overall good hike can't wait to once bridge construction is completed.

A little more than i expected. Nice trail but a bit hilly. My knee was not holding up well going down so i had to retreat knowing that if i went all the way down it would be hell on my knee to come back up. I will try this again after i workout my knee more. Pretty trail though.

beautiful half mile in, then a long stroll on the beach before heading back. I'm pretty sure it's the hike back up to the trail head that makes this moderate.

It is a nice hike that the whole family can enjoy.

Wonderful views and a great workout!! Love this one!!

Great trail. Very well maintained and great beach.

This is a fun one because it winds down to the beach, not the best views but still well worth it

It was only ok. I did enjoy the walk back on the beach.

I rated this hike a 5 mostly bc of the breathtaking views.
I didn't know there was a record feature on this app, otherwise I would've recorded my hike. I actually only did the 1/2 mile (?) hobbit trail.
The moderate part of the hike for me was the come back to the street from the beach.
Oregon is a beautiful state. I highly recommend ANY ONE visiting here.
There was no cost to hike this trail. It is also very close to the Heceta lighthouse. You could do both easily in a day.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Fell in love with the China loop part

Friday, January 27, 2017

The Hobbit trail was by far the best part of this hike. It's a tiny trail but leads to a great beach with awesome views. If taking the China Creek loop be prepared for a pretty steep trek.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Great hike with forest and beach. They are still working on replacing the bridge but it was usable.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Thursday, May 05, 2016

This trail is magical! You hike through beautiful forest and suddenly come out onto a private beach. I have never seen this area crowded. The hike is very short and easy but it still makes you feel like you have moved a little. Simple but sweet! As a side note, the trailhead can be hard to spot on the highway. It's on the left side going northbound and slightly set back. Hopefully there is another car parked to help!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

I made this hike a few weeks ago, Took the Hobbit trail to the beach, walked the beach to Washburne, then crossed the highway preparing to take the Valley trail back but found a sign telling me that portion was closed. So, I did the only thing I thought I could do and hiked the mile and a half back to my car along the 101. A truck tried to change lanes, almost hit me, and knocked me down and embankment where I twisted my ankle.

I went back yesterday and hiked the 1/4 mile to the barricade from the Hobbit trail head parking area.... and the "barricade" is simply a little sign hung over a fully functional bridge. After watching hikers and volunteers cross it with no issue, I did too. Afterward, I spoke with a Ranger who told me the hillside is slowly eroding so they closed the bridge as a precautionary measure.

Word to the wise: If you find yourself in the same position, TAKE THE VALLEY TRAIL ANYWAY! Crossing a six foot long bridge that may collapse in a year or two is far less dangerous than taking your life in your hands to take the 101 back!

P.S. The hike is peaceful and beautiful :)

Monday, April 18, 2016

Unfortunately, the China Creek trail is still closed. But the trail from the HWY down to Hobbit Beach was beautiful. Can' wait to go back and do the full loop.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

I first hiked this trail in 1986, and it's where I fell in love with OR and decided to live here someday. Hiked it again shortly after moving to Eugene 10 years later. And since then of course. Always magical and quite popular especially in good weather.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Can't wait to go back when the bridge is in commission. Awesome hike, especially, if you include the stretch behind the lighthouse!

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Unfortunately, the bridge is barricaded halfway through, so I had to turn around and go back. But the China creek loop is beautiful!

Friday, May 29, 2015

Beautiful forest hike with great views of the beach! You can access the trail from the lighthouse or from around the Carl G Washburne Memorial Campground.

Monday, May 11, 2015

We just completed this hike, starting on the trail head at the Heceta Lighthouse and continuing on the Hobbitt Trail to the beach. This is a beautiful ~6 mile hike out and back through a mature rain forest with towering trees and beautiful ferns and foliage. It is mostly an easy hike but with the rise in elevation, it's a decent excursion through lush scenery and great ocean views. The Hobbit trail portion is a short 1/2 mile jaunt to the lovely, uncrowded sand beach. This hike is a gem if your looking for a half day excursion with a mild to moderate (depending on your hiking experience) hike, I highly recommend these great trails in the Heceta Head and Carl G. Washburne Memorial State Park area.