Learn more

Hillsdale to the River Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(106)
George Himes Park

Hillsdale to the River Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portland, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 662 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Wouldn’t do this hike if you’re not from the area.

closed

Great urban hike!Parts of the trail were closed though. I don’t mind a longer hike but I don’t like trying to figure out alternate routes in an area I’m not familiar with.

A city/suburb trail with a good sampling of a views- forested, river walk, park, neighborhoods, as well as quite a bit under, over, or next to busy streets/highway.

Not a bad way to spend an Autumn afternoon. The first part is the best- a wooded trail. After Willamette Park, it’s all uphill through neighborhoods. Pretty if an urban hike, and 99 steps, is your thing! At the 99 steps on the way back up make sure to turn around here & there to catch views of Mt Hood. Overall, this hike a little bit of it all; 50/50 trails versus neighborhoods, plus river & Mountain views.

Sat Jun 29 2019

We really enjoyed this trail for all the surprise along the way. We went under bridges, stumbled across a bar, dog park and gorgeous Willamette beach views.

Sat May 11 2019

We parked at Wilson school and followed the trail on the map. It took us through beautiful neighborhoods down through a wooded trail straight into the city and then we were at Willamette Park. We continued the trail and the way back to our car was much more challenging as there were several steep stairs to climb. I would recommend it for someone starting out who wants something a more than level pavement walking. It is an Urban hike!

recorded Hillsdale to the River Trail

Wed Apr 24 2019

Lots of stairs. Great urban hike.

Tue Mar 26 2019

This was a fun urban hike. I loved seeing the cool houses in all the neighborhoods. And hitting the river was beautiful! However, those uphills are no joke! They are steep and unrelenting. I’m really glad I did it, and if you park at Wilson High when you finish you can reward yourself with the best chocolate chip cookies from the bakery near there after. Really fun little adventure when you don’t have time to leave town. But wear workout clothes, you’ll work up a sweat!

I started my hike at George Himes Park and took it down to The Willamette river and then back again. This is one of my favorite hikes as far as thinks to see is concerned. A true moderate hike with some muddy spots and steep inclines but route takes you through real nice part of Portland and there’s a few eclectic watering holes along the way, what more could you ask for!

Sun Aug 12 2018

This is an exceptional option for urban hiking with some nature mixed in. Perfect for the rainy season, when the abundance of gravely and paved surfaces is much appreciated! You can easily extend this to a much longer hike by following the riverfront path to Sellwood or the South Waterfront. The only downside (knocking this down to 4 stars) is the persistent smell of sewage on the area that parallels I-5.

Mon May 28 2018

Great combo of nature, suburbs, and a nice park. Really enjoyed the loop

Sun May 27 2018

Great hike on a spring day when you want or need to stay close to town. We loved the various staircases and easements that popped up throughout the route

Thu Mar 08 2018

The trees are pretty up by terwilliger but under the freeway down to John’s landing. If you can’t get out of town and are desperate for a hike ok , otherwise get outta here!

Sun Feb 25 2018

I live in Hillsdale, so it’s pretty neat to be able to get down to the river on this trail. I also think it’s a special urban thrill to hike under I-5. Willamette Park is a nice destination, with bathrooms, water fountains, and a dog park.

Mon Jul 24 2017

Great trail loop with portland neighborhoods, woods, willamette river, and back. Good workout but not too hard.

Sat Apr 02 2016

This trail isn't all that difficult and is incredibly short. That's not a problem...just doesn't off much for the eyes. It didn't make me feel like I got a workout, honestly.

Thu Dec 31 2015

Good dog walk on a dry day.