Hillockburn Trail #516

Hillockburn Trail #516 is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Estacada, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

old growth

Trail is trashed and unmarked. Shotgun shells, beer cans, and rubber gloves :(

I’d be scared to walk down the trail without hunter orange gear on so people knew where I was.

Do NOT go here. The trailhead is completely littered with shotgun shells among other trash. People are shooting guns very close by with no regard for others enjoying the woods. Trail is clearly not well maintained if at all.

The trailhead isn't really marked and is trashed because of the people who use the area for target practice. Once you get past the trailhead, though, it is a pretty hike; old growth trees and ferns galore. Expect to cross some downed trees and hit a few spots closer to the creek where the trail is a overgrown because it isn't used very frequently. There is a crystal clear creek at the end of this trail. However, I didn't see any waterfall as described in the overview of this hike.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

couldn't find it + some guys were firing automatic weapons right near where we thought the trail was. So we left.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Both ways that Google maps sent us were road closures

Thursday, June 16, 2016

The trail is in good shape considering it has been mostly neglected and has minimal use. It goes downhill through some truly old growth Doug Fir, wildflowers and berries. The only drawback is the trailhead that has been used by shooters and made a mess. We have spoken to the Forest Service and the trail is on a watch list for improvement if it is consistently used. They are aware of the trailhead condition and are working on a solution.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

My husband and I were looking forward to getting away and hiking a new trail. When we arrived at the trail head there were 3 men and 1 woman shooting guns. We decided to go ahead and hike the trail. As we were leaving down the trail we heard one of the men say "we were here first and they chose to keep going" as if it would be perfectly OK to him if we were hit by a stray bullet since they "were there first". They proceeded to rapid fire several shots into the air. When we arrived back there was a new group of three men shooting. I am not sure if it is legal to shoot at this location but if it is they should remove the trail from any hiking guides. It was a long drive to the trail head and not the type of hiking experience I believe most are seeking.

Monday, October 10, 2016