Hidden Lake Trail

Hidden Lake Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Rhododendron: Follow Hwy. 26 east for five miles. Turn left onto Rd. 2639 (Kiwanis Club Road) The trail begins just past Kiwanis Camp entrance in a wide parking area on the left.

Hidden Lake itself is nothing special, but the trail is top notch! It is steep in places and could be a bit much for kids or those who don't hike much. But if you're a seasoned hiker, I highly recommend taking this trail all the way to Timberline Lodge, stop in for a beer, then head back down for an epic 13 mile day.

Went up the Hidden Lake Trail to Pacific Crest Trail to Timberline Lodge and back (Parked at the HLT TH). Round trip is around ~14 miles., with about 3000' elevation gain The trail has not been in much use definitely and the undergrowth has covered the tracks in many places. At one spot, trees have fallen down, and navigating around it was a bit of a problem. There are a couple of stream crossings, where the water was around 6" deep. I was disappointed (not because I have to whack around the undergrowth to see where I am going!) as there was not much to see. The wildflowers and views of Mt Hood and Jefferson are from the Pacific Crest Trail! A better option is to go up to Timberline and do a 14-mile round trip (7 miles each way) on PCT. Both PCT and HCT have a ton of insects buzzing around -- wear a full sleeve tee and full pants to avoid insect bites! BTW if you park at Timberline, you don't have to the pay $5 USFS fee!

This hike is much better going all the way up to Timberline Lodge. That way you get a great view as a payoff.

But it also becomes closer to a 10 or 11 mile hike, then.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Sunday, December 23, 2012

This trail is a good workout but if I remember correctly it is in the neighborhood of 4-4.5 miles.

Friday, March 09, 2012

I hike this trail at least 2 times a year. There is a nice resting viewpoint once you get through half of the switch backs. It is steep, but then levels out. I come up here to forage, not so much to go to the lake. I have been there a handful of times, but dont consider it to be the showcase of the hike. Very little foot traffic after October 15th.

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Steep trail for the first portion of the hike. Limited scenery and we make the hike when the rhoddies were not blooming. It is probably very scenic in the late spring and early summer.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Family and I HATED this trail. The only positive was the exercise we got climbing to this place. If you are looking for exercise ONLY, than this is a great quick trail. Other than that avoid it! The lake at the end is more of a swamp and completely infested with mosquitoes. I had on thick repellent and I got stung like crazy. We couldn't get out of this place fast enough. (Oh, and the trail is listed as 8.2, but it is only 2 miles in and 2 miles out)