Henline Mountain Trail

Henline Mountain Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Elkhorn, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Pearl Creek: Travel north on Little North Fork Road #2209 for approximately 1 mile beyond Henline Creek bridge to Y. Keep to the left on Road #2209 for about 1.5 miles. The trailhead is on the left in a rocky bank.

Absolutely beautiful! Steep, but so worth the burning in your legs!

Steady uphill hike with a beautiful view from the top.

steep but great views at the top. well marked trail.

Super steep but very fun!

Training to climb Kilimanjaro at the end of the year and looking for good training hikes. This one was a good one for that. not too long, but steady and constant elevation gain, rocky trail and beautiful view at the top. It's a great feeling when there is no more up until you remember the down is probably harder on tired legs. That was definitely the case on this trail.

Saturday morning and only one other couple on the trail. Definitely coming back to this one!

Fun hike great views from top.

Went midweek, only three other small groups on the trail. definitely earns hard rating, very steep and long. Great views from the old lookout site. Only earns 4 stars because trail after lookout to summit is unstable at times, narrow, sometimes overgrown, and has several fallen trees over it. I reached the Summit, but honestly the extra mile each way wasn't really worth it, as the views from the lookout are just as stunning and similar.

Awesome hike. SO difficult (for me) but absolutely worth it. Once you reach the look out point up top you have an incredible view of the surrounding mountains (whetstone, battle axe, etc.) and can see Mt. Jefferson looming in the distance. You can also see the valley down below to your right. A truly beautiful, challenging, entertaining hike. The only downside was we were unable to find any water once we started the hike. We had our filtration system but couldn’t use it. Supposedly if we’d continued just a bit further there may have been a creek, but we’re not sure if it would have been dry because of heat. Overall, great experience! I definitely recommend.

Great hike. Steep in some areas with serious falling hazards. Don’t go if you aren’t ready to work out hard. Don’t go if you have a fear of heights. Also note that forest service actually did maintenance on the road out to Henline. Still gravel and a bit bumpy but vast improvement.

A bit of snow on the trail, but easy to get to the top.

its very doable until you get half a mile from the top. at that point its about knee deep in snow.

Hiked this one few weeks back but couldn’t reach the top because of snow. Tried it again today but turned back at about 1400’ because the snow got to be too much still. Great trail and if you like to get some elevation and exercise.

Made it almost to the top but the snow was too deep and the trail was lost. Great hike only a couple of people on the trail. The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because not many views but it could be different at the top. But a great work out

I began this week by 10am 11/11/17. The last 2.5 miles driving to the TH contains several potholes that has potential to mess up a low clearance car. The TH itself was easy to follow, switched-backed a couple times, and had views along the way to the top. The last .6 had snowpack up to ankle height. It was soft and easily manageable with boots and poles. There is a smaller goat trail at the top that can be followed for another 1.2~ miles to a higher peak that's around 4500ft. The snow gets gradually worse however, but it's a good way starting point for winter climbing. If anyone goes in the near future, I'm sure you can follow my footprints as it does feel like you're going into a more backcountry setting. In total the trip was 7.7miles in 3h 30min, but I also tracked ~2.7 to the top of Henline Mtn at around 1h 05min

there are several falls

Awesome. Great workout and incredible views

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Beautiful hike - such great scenery :) it was a little steep in some areas, and my Fitbit said 6.2 miles round trip, but it wasn't too bad!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

So many bears

Friday, July 14, 2017

This was a nice hike, I was almost to the top when I saw a bear. Just be aware they are around! I did turn around, I didn't feel like getting mauled to death.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Fun hike.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

It was pretty difficult but worth all the views of the mountains (and small waterfalls from the snow melting if it's early enough in the year) from the viewpoints! Did this hike last week with my boyfriend, we'd been here 2 times before- once around march and then again in April but the second time we turned around because of the snow. At the top there's an option to go left or right. This being our first time so close to the end and not knowing which way to the viewpoint, we went left and continued for about a mile and a half through bushes (he called it bush whacking) and under some partially fallen trees until we reached a dead-end. There was a viewpoint over a ledge on the left somewhere along the way which was really pretty too, but ultimately I think I would recommend going to the right if you're tired and satisfied with all of the beautiful sights already taken in. We agreed that we would have gone to the left after going right to see what was on the other side, but we would be just as happy going right next time we come.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Great hike, very steep but totally worth the panoramic views from the top!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

We didn't get mountain views due to too much cloud cover today. There were areas covered in snow, but it was easy to get around it.
I loved this hike, great workout! I will go again on a clear day.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

4 stars simply because when I went on 4/21 there was still a lot of snow making it so I couldn't get all the way to the top. Will go definitely go back so that I can finish. Great views along the way and a nice work out.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Great trail. It's well marked and easy to follow. i hiked it today (3/23/17) and almost made it to the top but snow made the trail disappear. It's a great workout with great views. I will go back. A "Wilderness Permit" is required between Memorial Dan and October 31 (I think).

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Couldn't make it all the way but will be going back up when snow melts.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Have gone 3 times so far. First time last late January but due to deep snow could only make it to the large rock lookout near the top. Second time in late April and made it to the very top where the trail ends. Attempted it yesterday on Christmas and could only make it just shy of the large rock lookout due to trail just disappears. Great challenging hike with lots of areas to take some photos.

Friday, September 23, 2016

This trail is definitely a workout! I decided not to go all the way to the top. It was a very cloudy day so the views didn't really exist. Regardless, this hike is in a beautiful area and I'm sure on a clear day the view is amazing!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

great hike, steep up hill on the way up and all downhill on the way back. great views over the valley!!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Certain parts are steep but over all a nice hike, and a beautiful waterfall. I would go earlier in the day when there's less people my boys and I went in the middle of the week and still ran in to quite a few groups. Did this hike in May.