Henline Mountain Trail

Henline Mountain Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Elkhorn, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Pearl Creek: Travel north on Little North Fork Road #2209 for approximately 1 mile beyond Henline Creek bridge to Y. Keep to the left on Road #2209 for about 1.5 miles. The trailhead is on the left in a rocky bank.

I began this week by 10am 11/11/17. The last 2.5 miles driving to the TH contains several potholes that has potential to mess up a low clearance car. The TH itself was easy to follow, switched-backed a couple times, and had views along the way to the top. The last .6 had snowpack up to ankle height. It was soft and easily manageable with boots and poles. There is a smaller goat trail at the top that can be followed for another 1.2~ miles to a higher peak that's around 4500ft. The snow gets gradually worse however, but it's a good way starting point for winter climbing. If anyone goes in the near future, I'm sure you can follow my footprints as it does feel like you're going into a more backcountry setting. In total the trip was 7.7miles in 3h 30min, but I also tracked ~2.7 to the top of Henline Mtn at around 1h 05min

there are several falls

Awesome. Great workout and incredible views

Beautiful hike - such great scenery :) it was a little steep in some areas, and my Fitbit said 6.2 miles round trip, but it wasn't too bad!

So many bears

This was a nice hike, I was almost to the top when I saw a bear. Just be aware they are around! I did turn around, I didn't feel like getting mauled to death.

Fun hike.

It was pretty difficult but worth all the views of the mountains (and small waterfalls from the snow melting if it's early enough in the year) from the viewpoints! Did this hike last week with my boyfriend, we'd been here 2 times before- once around march and then again in April but the second time we turned around because of the snow. At the top there's an option to go left or right. This being our first time so close to the end and not knowing which way to the viewpoint, we went left and continued for about a mile and a half through bushes (he called it bush whacking) and under some partially fallen trees until we reached a dead-end. There was a viewpoint over a ledge on the left somewhere along the way which was really pretty too, but ultimately I think I would recommend going to the right if you're tired and satisfied with all of the beautiful sights already taken in. We agreed that we would have gone to the left after going right to see what was on the other side, but we would be just as happy going right next time we come.

Great hike, very steep but totally worth the panoramic views from the top!

We didn't get mountain views due to too much cloud cover today. There were areas covered in snow, but it was easy to get around it.
I loved this hike, great workout! I will go again on a clear day.

4 stars simply because when I went on 4/21 there was still a lot of snow making it so I couldn't get all the way to the top. Will go definitely go back so that I can finish. Great views along the way and a nice work out.

Great trail. It's well marked and easy to follow. i hiked it today (3/23/17) and almost made it to the top but snow made the trail disappear. It's a great workout with great views. I will go back. A "Wilderness Permit" is required between Memorial Dan and October 31 (I think).

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Couldn't make it all the way but will be going back up when snow melts.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Have gone 3 times so far. First time last late January but due to deep snow could only make it to the large rock lookout near the top. Second time in late April and made it to the very top where the trail ends. Attempted it yesterday on Christmas and could only make it just shy of the large rock lookout due to trail just disappears. Great challenging hike with lots of areas to take some photos.

Friday, September 23, 2016

This trail is definitely a workout! I decided not to go all the way to the top. It was a very cloudy day so the views didn't really exist. Regardless, this hike is in a beautiful area and I'm sure on a clear day the view is amazing!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

great hike, steep up hill on the way up and all downhill on the way back. great views over the valley!!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Certain parts are steep but over all a nice hike, and a beautiful waterfall. I would go earlier in the day when there's less people my boys and I went in the middle of the week and still ran in to quite a few groups. Did this hike in May.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Great hike, can't wait to do it again.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Hiked this yesterday with the family. It was a good hike. We got to the lookout and it had great views. Me and my oldest son went on to hike to the actual summit. I'm glad we did that so I wouldn't have to wonder about the view at the summit. Basically, there is no view at the summit. A partial view from one side, but covered with trees. I recorded my entire track. The trail to the summit is in good shape. Very steep in sections, but manageable. I don't think I would hike this again, but for one time it was great.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Strenuous hike up to the top. Good views at the top and some nice rock outcroppings along the way.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

This is the best hike I've gone on to date. If you dare to go all the way to the summit, it makes the two vertical miles worth it. It's insanely difficult but extremely rewarding at the end of the day. The hike may have been easier if I would have gone in the summer because of snow and more dangerous conditions. But nonetheless it was a great hike and I would definitely do again.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

I say this about so many of my hikes, but I think this is one of my favorites! This is also one of the more difficult one-day hikes I've done. You immediately start gaining elevation steeply at the trailhead on switchbacks and you don't stop until you get to the top. Walking ridge line at the top is my favorite part! There are a few good viewpoints along the ridge to the summit. Don't be fooled by the false summits along the way. The actual summit is some 1.2 miles along the ridge after the plateau. From the summit I could see Table Rock and the valley below to the west and to the east: Battleax, Jefferson, Jack, Washington, and the Sisters. Such a beautiful view! The trek up is tough on the lungs, but the trek down is tough on the knees!

Saturday, January 03, 2015

Yes yes yes! I loved this hike. Check out Henline Falls, and don't miss the old cave behind the waterfall.

I went on the waterfall trail and loved it so much I came back for the mountain trail, and I was blown away by how beautiful the scenery was during these winter months. I wouldn't recommend coming during the winter because the snow was deep and the climb to the top was almost unreachable, but it was so worth pushing though it. We did the hike Christmas 2014 since our family doesn't celebrate the holiday.

Bring waterproof shoes, a parka, and preferably waterproof pants as well. My brother and I very reasonably "day hiked" the mountain and had lunch at the top while we froze our asses off. It was terrific. Will come back someday.

Saturday, November 01, 2014

good workout! easy to follow. welcome to switch back lane, it gets right in to them

Friday, June 07, 2013

This was indeed a leg tiring hike. Lots of switchbacks and a couple nice views. The top is amazing and we got there on a calm day. My 12 year old dog did this hike with us and there were some rock fields that were challenging for her and us. The hike down was just as hard as up. A great hike.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

This hike is catagorized as Moderate difficulty but let me assure you it is a meet grinder! I counted 14 switchbacks with very nice views from outcroppings at 8th and 11th. There was no problem with snow until crossing the ridgeline at the two mile point. There were fresh tracks in the snow so I continued quite a ways but did not reach the true summit. I believe I came within a few hundred feet but decided to save it for some other time rather than put my safety at risk. The view over the Elkhorn valley was very literally breath taking. I got a late start leaving the trailhead at 2:05pm and reached my turn around point at 4:17pm.