Henline Falls Trail is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gates, Oregon that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Easy hike through Douglas Fir and Hemlock to Henline Falls and remnants of old mining from the 1930's. The trail meanders through young Douglas-fir and Western Hemlock forest. The trail ends at Henline Falls. Here you will find remnants of old mining from the 1930's. A mine adit was built into the solid rock wall and goes back in about 1500 feet. To the right of Henline Falls there is an old mine shaft. At some point a steel gate was installed and at a later point a small section was cut out of the gate allowing access. If you are looking for a more challenging venture recommend the 'Ogle Mountain Trail' which is before you arrive at the actual falls and forks to the right and up. It will lead you to the top of the waterfall and onto many other falls.

This is a great easy trail with serious reward! There are about 7 legal parking spots at this trailhead, please don’t park illegally- that kind of behavior is what causes trails to be shut down— plus it makes it extremely hard to social distance on the mostly narrow trail. The 1.5 miles before the trailhead have some serious potholes. It’s very do-able (drove it in my fully built out Promaster van) but requires some pothole navigation and a bit of ground clearance. Trail is easy and lovely with a very small amount of elevation gain. The last bit before the waterfall is narrow with a steep drop off so watch your dogs/little ones. The waterfall is absolutely gorgeous. A few muddy spots on the trail but no big deal.

Nice hike beautiful falls. Yes, very pothole laden section before getting there. Hiked it 5/11/2020.

This was a perfect trail for our family! Our kids are 7, 5, and 2 and even our 2 year old walked most of the way. The waterfall at the end is beautiful, and there was enough space on the rocks for our family of five to sit and have lunch. But heads up- the end of the forest road to get there is gravel and full of deep pot holes, so it was very bumpy and slow going in our mini-van before we got to the trailhead.

Fantastic hike that leads to a waterfall and an old mine shaft. I don't recommend you free off the path though, the other one gets very very steep and narrow.

This quick hike is worth doing if you're in the area. Trail has a few narrow spots with fall danger but nothing I was worried about. It was a little muddy in spots but nothing that I would widen the path for. The drive to the trailhead was rough going due to the massive potholes that have formed.

A great one for the whole family - short hike with a great payoff of a beautiful waterfall (time it just right and you may get lucky to experience the amazing rainbow of colors at the bottom ) and a cave! If you're okay with an itty bit of rock scrambling head up to the right near the base of the falls to explore the neat old mining tunnel "cave" (sadly gated off but you can walk a little ways in). Be aware there is a short portion of the trail closest to the waterfall that is narrow with drop offs, so if you hike with little ones be prepared for that. Be prepared for a rough road in so be mindful.of your vehicle clearance

A few precarious bits at the end but overall kid-friendly and gorgeous!

Great, easy hike and once you get to the end, it’s beautiful! Also if you climb up to the right of the water fall, there is a cave/mine shaft. Wanted to explore further inside but unfortunately it’s closed off.... only con is the ridiculous pot holes in the road that leads to the parking spot! Drive slow and hope your vehicle doesn’t fall in!!!

It was a nice short hike with our 5 & 9 year old kids. Beautiful waterfall that you get to hike to the bottom of. The last stretch was a bit narrow. The gravel road getting to the parking area had some big, deep holes and was an adventure to drive on. The parking itself had spots for 2 cars only and there were signs all around saying do not park on the side of the road. We didn't drive further to see if there were more parking spots past the trailhead.

Easy trail with a really good waterfall at the end. No issues other than what everyone else has posted regarding the state of the gravel road - it’s in bad shape.

Beautiful waterfall and short, easy hike. The last mile of the road is full of some pretty large potholes. I got through it in a 94 camry going very slowly and carefully, but if you have a subaru or higher clearance vehicle, it would probably make you less nervous to use that.

Really easy and short hike to the waterfall. Really pretty, the old mining cave is a little creepy and there’s huge spiders all over the walls. Take a good flashlight if you plan on going inside of the cave and beware there are a LOT of potholes on the drive up so go slow.

pretty easy trail, with lots of mushrooms along the way. The potholes in the gravel access road can be a bit if a pain. There is a small bridge on the access road that has some good views of flowing water. We arrived at the falls around noon and we were seeing a very cool rainbow effect. Enjoyed this short hike alot.

Henline canyoneering

lots to see and nice easy hike.

9/14/2019. Great views, cool clear water to cool down in at the top, very shallow this time of year. Warning, the last mile or so driving on gravel was alright but the pot holes! Go slow and don't ride the cars in front of you...anyways. Gentle elevation till the end of the trail where it's narrow and on cliff side. When I was younger these didn't bother me, as I age, it makes me a tad dizzy. I wouldn't bring small children here, or the elderly. Great for teaching basic plants however, the Salal and Oregon grape only two I saw with berries this time of year. But easy to identify huckleberry, thimble berry, alumroot, False Solomon's seal, Fringe cup, some avens too. I struggle with elevation hiking but this was a good steady trail just the end is rough, but not too bad.

I took my 12-year-old and my six-year-old and my two dogs today and they had no problems whatsoever we even got to go into one of mine in caves excited for our next venture

What a nice trail this was. Steady, manageable incline. Beautiful second growth forest with lovely clear pool as a reward. This is a worthy side trip that will take less than an hour on the way to or coming back from Opal Creek. Highly recommend.

Nice easy hike. Beautiful waterfall with a cool mineshaft next to it.

Beautiful and easy little hike. Our dog loved the water at the end. Perfectly clear and gorgeous

Absolutely gorgeous hike!!! We got to do lots of exploring with the kids and they had a blast. The end of the trail gets a little skinny (I carried my 2 year old) but so worth it. Definitely keep and eye or a hand on the little ones and be prepared to ditch your stroller or just go without one.

Short and easy. My family loved playing in the water with it being a hot day.

This is a great short hike with beautiful falls at the end!

Short but sweet. Cool little mine shaft as well.

Beautiful views, relatively easy trail with some narrow spots and a couple boulders to scramble over. The falls at the top are worth it. My kid did good but strollers won't work.

Super easy and short hike. Gorgeous waterfall at the end