Hayrick Butte is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cascadia, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from January until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 538 feet Route Type: Loop

I hiked this on 2/9 with friends and then again on 2/24 with my partner. It's a great snowshoe trek with a back-country feel. I read other reviews on this hike and followed their instructions rather than the description - "keep the Butte on your left". We parked at Hoodoo and walked into Ray Benson and then started out on the groomed Nordic track. It took us 4 hours to complete, which included a lunch break and lots of photos. Be prepared for deep snow and breaking trail. Happy hiking!

skiing

(This was as close as AllTrails would let me get.) Ideal conditions at HooDoo resort’s groomed lower Nordic trails. It’s almost like they’re paying you to ski with the senior pass being $10 and not having to pay for SnoPark. Not crowded at all.

I loved this snowshoe trip. We parked at Hoodoo and circled the base of the butte going counter clockwise and simply kept the butte on our left. We followed some official trails for a little while but eventually broke of (where this trail disconnects from them) and that’s when I started to really enjoy it. From there it was untouched powder going through trees and making our own trail. As long as you keep the butte on your left then you’ll be fine. It took us 5 hours and we hiked up the butte at one point to get some cool pictures. Definitely recommend this.

Sun Sep 24 2017

Tuya Volcano Hayrick butte was a sub-glacial volcano that formed like jello in an icy mold. Rapid cooling of the lava created its sheer walls and gave Hayrick butte a distinctive flat top. Starting clockwise from the bottom lift of Hoodoo-There are a series of ohv trails that skirt the base along the north side, I followed those through rocky ledges and boulders for about a mile, then right onto big lake road for 1.5miles along the east side. From big lake rd after the 810 and before the 860 road I spotted a potential route to a ridge on the NE side. There is no user trail but was able to scramble up a talus slope to gain a forested ridge that is visible from the road. Use it to ascend to the plateau atop the butte. It took about 40 minutes to get up and was fairly easy with occasional use of hands. It is forested up top and not as flat as it appears from a distance. I only saw the one way up, so was careful to keep track of the route and also used it to descend. Great views of Three fingered Jack, mt. Washington and probably more had it not been so smoky. Continuing clockwise along the south to a right turn on 860 dirt road then right on OHV trail 20 and another right on OHV trail 22. It will take you over the saddle between Hayrick butte and Hoodoo mt returning you to the area behind the bottom lift. Some of the most spectacular cliffs on Hayrick butte are near the saddle where sheer walls rise hundreds of feet and giant blocks of stone litter the base of the butte.

Sat Nov 09 2013

An amazing area to see as you snowshoe around the base of Hayrick Butte. Our group parked at the ski lodge and started out the trip circling Hayrick Butte clockwise. We saw Three Finger Jack for most of the morning, until we looped to the east a bit more, where views of Big Lake and Patjens Lake came into site. Views of Mt. Washington opened up as we continued the loop. A lot of scenery along the southern side of the butte. Large open snow covered meadows and lakes. The trail is mostly a backcountry loop around the base. As long as you keep the butte to your right and not go too far up, you will find your way and enjoy the trip. I would highly recommend this trail to others, and I will be doing the snowshoeing trip again this winter. Pictures I posted are all from January 12, 2012.

Sat Feb 09 2019