Hart's Cove Trail

Hart's Cove Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Neskowin, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from July until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,079 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

A beautiful hike on the coast where you descend to your destination for a change! This is a wonderful hike that takes you through a temperate rainforest environment past massive trees and eventually to beautiful coastal views. If you arrive at the right time of year you may see plenty of wildflowers as well. This hike is unique as you start of the hike descending and return climbing the same switchbacks on the way back. No fees This trail and trailhead are closed Jan 1st-July 15th to protect sensitive species.

This is a good workout. Hearing the sea lions about half way out (but not seeing them), was nice, but would have loved to see them as well. View at the end is nice, although not as spectacular as Cascade Head, just down the road. Only met a couple of folks, so very peaceful.As others gave notes, by the time you walk out to see the hiew, it's about 6.2 mi.

Such an amazing view! Cool to hear the sea lions. It’s fairly easy since it’s mostly a descent until the last 1.5 miles. Those are all uphill. It was pretty wet in some areas and you have to cross 3-6” of running water, but with normal hiking shoes, it’s no problem. Really great hike- wish I had known about it sooner! I suggest taking the trail to the left once you get to the grass clearing so you can see the cove.

Went out here yesterday, 50-60 degrees with off and on light showers all day. Dress accordingly for this one, bring extra socks. Drive safely as the road up is winding and you won’t be able to see who’s coming down until they’re upon you. This trail says 2.7 but it’s definitely 3 and some change. No bathrooms. Started off on a downhill with switchbacks so try and preserve your energy as much as you can for the hike back. Extremely lush, extremely muddy narrow path. The seals barking will keep you going, but it’s hard to see them because the lookout is pretty overgrown. Still really great to hear them as you go along. You’ll have to pass a creek with some slippery rocks that aren’t the greatest for jumping across, so you’ll want to either take your shoes off entirely as I did or take a second to plan your hops through if you’re wearing trail sneakers and not end of the world boots. There wasn’t anyone else on the path so you don’t have to worry about being crowded. I’m just starting out on this hiking thing, and this trail WHOOPED me. The switchbacks on the way back up were really taxing for me, as I generally don’t lead the most active life (office job, city dweller, smoker (I KNOW. I KNOW)). The view when you get to the end is worth it all. I shed a few tears there taking it all in. Absolutely incredible.

Did this one today and it was absolutely beautiful. Trail sign says 2.7 miles but it’s closer to 3.2. Very muddy but so worth it.

Too much poop and n my pants

I did this hike yesterday and it was clear the entire time. There were definitely a few patches of mud, so wear some boots. Also, some parts of the trail had pretty big foliage on both sides, so I also recommend pants (in comparison to shorts). The hike down was a pretty standard PNW hike. Lots of green. The sounds of the sea lions were pretty cool When you do finally get to the final stretch to the cliff, it's a pretty magical moment. You go through this giant brush just to come out to the other side of this giant ocean. There's a few trails going around the cliff to see multiple view points. Going back definitely sucked. I am overweight, so it was a struggle. The switch backs were ROUGH. Walking sticks definitely helped. Overall it was a great trail and I had great company. Also, there's no bathrooms at the trailhead.

bridge out

I was very happy to finally get to this one. I got rained on on the way out and I almost turned back but the downhill momentum and the barking sea lions kept me going. Make sure you save something for the way back out. It’s mostly uphill. The whole hike took me three hours. Being a slightly older hiker and being by myself I’m pretty proud of that time. I even sat for a bit when I found the ocean. I made it back to my car just as it started pouring. I’ll be back. With friends.

Very beautiful view! It's a decent hike, just muddy. Definitely worth it!

Amazing hike that’s well worth the trip. Beautiful forest with 250 year old Sitka Spruce trees that opens up to an amazing view of the ocean.

This trail was really fun to hike. It was a beautiful. The sea lions were barking up a storm in the cove. The last mile was difficult for my mom, but we made it. With our exploring down by the cove we totaled about 6.5 miles. Would definitely do it again!

Easy hike down through the forest, can hear sea lions 2/3 of the way to the end! Views at the end in the meadow are great along the coast. Hiking back up is steeper and the harder part of the workout. Overall a moderate hike.

Easy hike down to harts cove with a beautiful view of the Oregon coast and Hart’s cove and coming back was kinda steep in place’s especially when you get close to the end of the trail man it kicked my butt

Great hike out to a beautiful view of a cove and part of the coast line! Listen for sea lions on your way out. Trail was well maintained, with a few tree roots to hop over. Doesn't seem too tough on the way out (lots of downhill and flat), but the last mile coming back is steep uphill. Great for the glutes!

Stroller not approved also no bathrooms. The hike is well traveled and we encountered a few people on our walk. We took our little dogs and they did pretty well. It is very steep downhill at first as well as in the middle at the viewpoint. The view is killer but it also kills your legs. The hike was actually 6.6 miles as that was verified with all trails and Fitbit. I felt every last step. The end is killer, may be a bit better had we not been carrying a kid but still made it. There were a couple really muddy parts but we managed.

Beautiful hike, totally worth it. Be prepared for some mud, but it wasn’t too bad. You’ll likely hear sea lions from the trail

Was a beautiful hike!

This trail was a very mild hike. It starts very steep downhill and then levels out. About halfway through you get to hear the ocean and the seals for most of the rest of the way. The view at the end is amazing. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a shaded beach hike.

Great hike today.... a few patches of mud, but manageable. Lots of elevation changes to make it a good workout. Great view at end, with area for views and picnic snacks.

A beautiful trail through the forest, opening after 2.5 miles to the meadow overlooking the ocean and Hart’s Cove. Not many flowers this late in summer, but the sights of Hart’s Cove and south were stunning on this sunny late afternoon. I closed out the trail for the day

Absolutely beautiful hike. Gorgeous views most of the hike and you get a chance to experience multiple different hiking environments including old growth forest, rainforest, coastline, fields of wildflowers. Highly recommend!

We hiked this trail on August 19th. It was a beautiful trail, mostly shaded except for the end. I would rate the trail as moderate on that day. The weather was in the 70s, there were only a few muddy spots, and the creek was low. I had trouble seeing the waterfall at the end, ended up zigzagging back and forth on the trail through the field and along the cliff to the right until I could see the falls. It was a great view, but I was right on the edge of the cliff.

We really enjoyed this trail. One of the prettiest hikes we have been on. Mostly shades which makes it perfect when you are hiking up the hill.

Great overlook. Definitely steep in the beginning but levels off for the remainder of the 3 mile hike down there. I would have given it 4-stars if it went all the way to the water.

Great hike. The sea lions were loud. Would definitely recommend.