Hart's Cove Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Neskowin, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A beautiful hike on the coast where you descend to your destination for a change! This is a wonderful hike that takes you through a temperate rainforest environment past massive trees and eventually to beautiful coastal views. If you arrive at the right time of year you may see plenty of wildflowers as well. This hike is unique as you start of the hike descending and return climbing the same switchbacks on the way back.

This is an amazing hike with amazing views of the Pacific, Hart's Cove and Chitwood Falls. We heard seals barking for a majority of our hike which was also very cool.
A few notes: 1. The directions on this website do not take you to the correct trailhead. When the forest road splits, stay to the left and continue to the end of the road. 2. My Apple Watch clocked 5.9 miles from start to finish, and that didn't include how much we were walking around down at the base of the meadow. Additionally, my elevation gain was clocked in at 1,328ft. I'm not sure if this review includes the hike from the top of the meadow to the base where you can view the cove. 3. The trail is NOT available year-round as this page says, it is closed Jan 1 - Jul 15 (these dates sometimes change). 4. As many others have said, this hike is not as difficult as AllTrails has rated it to be. It's definitely an uphill, somewhat difficult climb out, but certainly not impossible. 5. We counted 6 switchbacks in the first/last section of the hike, not 9.

Overall a great hike and I highly recommend it!!

Your GPS will not take you to the correct trailhead. The correct trailhead is the same as North Cascade Head, but further down the road. There are signs.

I might hike this trail a couple of more times but that's about it. It's a great workout and the view is nice at the end.

Great trail! The switchbacks at the beginning/end are probably the most challenging part of the trail. The trail is easy to follow, well maintained, and the views at the end are excellent, even if it's foggy/cloudy. The trailhead is well marked, so if you're driving and your GPS cuts out (like mine), just keep following the road. You can't miss the trailhead.

Yes, a challenging hike, but if you take your time going back up, you can do it. I'd say it's a moderate hike, but not extremely hard. Counted 9 switchbacks to the bridge (helpful for the way up). We did not see the falls in the Cove. Maybe didn't take the correct path across the meadow to the back of the Cove, possibly the falls was dry. A few groups of us down at the Cove weren't sure if we'd missed it or if it was dry. But the views of the ocean were worth it anyways.

I did this hike on my birthday vacation and the views didn't disappoint! It had been a while since I had been hiking, and this wasnot only beautiful, but a great workout as well! I wouldn't consider this a hard hike, but definitely moderately difficult. Especially for those who aren't used to climbing hills. Otherwise, this was fantastic! Btw... my phone clocked this at 6.2 miles.

I read a lot of reviews of this place before going. Several of them mention how insane the hills are and it is not for someone who is out of shape.
I'm not in shape. I only recently started trying improve my cardio after quitting smoking. by recent I mean within the last two weeks. Yes, the hills were pretty steep and long. but I didn't have any problem with it. I never felt like it was kicking my ass at all. I stopped once in a while to take a breather and get some water, but I didn't truthfully have any issue.
The journey was great in with a wonderful view and great out leaving me feeling rewarded for my effort.

Be ready to get your workout in! Definitely worth the journey. Be advised the way back is mostly uphill!

Road is blocked by huge trucks blowing out gross diesel smoke :( guess they are working on road but it’s not at all the peaceful forest experience I drove here for. Can’t walk or drive past and the trailhead is 3/4 mile past them

Overall, the hike was amazing. I only rate this a 3/5 since it’s a longer distance from Portland than other beautiful coast hikes, and the geotagged trailhead on AllTrails is wrong. AllTrails will likely take you to a fork in the road—but drive 1.5 miles farther on the left fork. I didn’t find the ascent difficult, but I can imagine it can be depending on the weather/experience of the hikers. Bring a nice lunch to enjoy the view at the meadow, it was awesome to emerge from the rainy and cloudy forest to a sunny coastal meadow.

Lots of sea lions barking, you can also see them swimming at the end. The cove is super cool. We opted to track over to the right of the grassy knoll down onto the rocks and sit for a couple hours. Saw lots of sea lions, birds and even a whale throw it's tail up! Traffic was light and we didn't see a whole lot of people. It did kick our asses

Beautiful trail and a beautiful viewpoint. Saw lots of wildlife. Will kick your ass on the way back up though.

Beautiful trail, loved hearing the sea lions, just wished we could have seen them. We did see a couple of whales. Need strength at the end of the hike to come up the hill. Some parts of the trail are overgrown but it’s beautiful and cool in the forest.

Barking sea lions is the first thing that comes to mind. They were loud about midway down the trail. There were muddy spots, but branches and rocks helped me get through. The views in the meadow at the end are nice. You have to hunt through the maze to get even better views. I didn't know there was a waterfall in the cove until a nice lady told me so. In the morning the cove was mostly a silhouette, but I can see the falls in my brightened photo after the fact. The cove would be lit better at midday or in the early afternoon.

Great hike, up hill on The way back was rough but well worth the hike. You can heat sea lions from
The look out!

My boyfriend and I went on this hike today for the first time. Now, this may be easy for others who are more physically fit and active lol.. but for people like my boyfriend and I who are overweight have had a hard time coming back. It was the longest we’ve ever hiked but man was it beautiful! Totally worth it. I saw a few centipedes, butterfly’s, squirrels, and heard some seals. We are now very sore and probably won’t go back for awhile lol at least until we lose some pounds. This isn’t for beginner hikers! I repeat! Not a beginners trail! Unless my boyfriend and I just suck lol. We made it though! Woohoo!

Honestly.... ugh. My husband clocked in 6 miles on his Fitbit. 6 miles to look at the Oregon Coast just wasn't worth it to me.

Do not go right as one of the recent reviews states!!! The cove is to the left from the clearing. We followed someone’s comment instead of trusting our instincts and got lost.

The key is when you get to the meadow at the end of the trail (overlooking the ocean), sort of bear right and try to find the big tree down the hill along the cliff. It's tempting to go toward the trees on the left, but stick to the right. That's where the viewpoint of the cove/waterfall is. But it's not marked and the trail splits and re-splits all through the hay in the meadow, so it's very unclear where to go. I think the actual trail ends at the top of the meadow, so add another .6 miles (.3 down the hill and back) if you're going to the viewpoint (which you should...it's the entire payoff of the hike). Overall it's a pretty laid-back hike, but the uphill at the end is the tough part.

Beautiful hike. Pretty low key. It would have been nice if the view at the end was a little more established. Trail was pretty empty when we started but filled up by the time we came out.

Hiked this today, so the road and trail are open for business! Beautiful hike! We had a lot of fog rolling in and out along the way which created a very cool atmosphere. We went about 9/10 in the morning and the traffic on the trail was pretty light, but when we got back the parking lot was pretty packed and starting down the road. Switchbacks coming up last about the last .5 miles and we’re fairly difficult, but overall I’d say this hike is more moderate.

In love

trail is closed and the road is gated off until July 15th

nice, biggest gripe is no option for audio ques in recorder

Trail is closed from Jan 1, 2018- July. Road is gated off so you can’t get through to the trail head. Very sad. ☹️

But I will be back!

For a “hard” hike I’d say it’s on the easy side. Great length. Super easy hike in aside from one of the bridges being out so you have to balance across some rocks. Lots of climbing back to the parking area on the way back. 10/10 would do again.

Beautiful hike, lots of downhill at the beginning (therefore lots of uphill on the end of the return trip). Path is mostly packed soil, some gravel at the beginning, path is only one person wide. Beautiful surroundings, lots of ferns, Huckleberry bushes, some huge Sitka spruce. At the end you pop out of the trees on a big green hillside over the ocean (like Cascade head but smaller and covered with a lot of salmon berry bushes) on the south side of the hillside there is a great view of Hart's Cove, which is beautiful. Cliff Creek pours into the cove in a (50ft?) waterfall. The cove is filled with seals, you can hear them even in the wooded part of the hike. There is a decent amount of parking, it was more crowded than the Cascade head parking though, seemed like a pretty popular hike. There weren't any sketchy parts really, but you do have to pick your way across one creek where the footbridge washed out, it was pretty easy, but could be hard if the creek was higher from recent rain. We got a late start and had to return in the dark with flashlights. The trail conditions are clean enough for that... but we did see signs of a bear (a huge old stump clawed apart recently... bears looking for grubs).

If your looking for a great view and a great workout this is the trail to hike! Got to the viewing point just in time for the sunset absolutely beautiful on a sunny day :)

Great hike. Tough on the knees one the way down, tough on the thighs on the way back. Absolutely worth it though! The gate off of HWY 101 is only open July 15th-Dec 31st so plan accordingly.

Totally worth the hike just for the amazing view