Hardesty Mountain Trail

Hardesty Mountain Trail is a 10.7 mile out and back trail located near Lowell, Oregon that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Great hike for hikers who don't mind the uphill. Felt like we walked in circles for a long time. Frost was forming at the top already and there wasn't much sun 10/14/17. No view at the top either unfortunately

Rigorous uphill. At the top there is no view to speak of, but it is a great workout. Do it on the regular because it's only 30 minutes from Eugene. I sometimes return downhill on Eula ridge trail and use the South Willamete trail to get back to the Hardesty trailhead, it will add about 5 miles

Amazing views!

If you go early, watch out for mosquitoes and a lot of spider webs. Bear droppings were on the trail so be prepared. Overall, it's a great trail for improving your endurance.

Nice trail. Coolest part of this hike was about 1/2 mile from the parking lot, I saw a black bear rubbing its back on a tree...we stared at each other for 15-20 seconds and it took a 180 and booked it.
No views, but still a very pleasant hike.

No views whatsoever. If I'm going on a 10 mile hike up a hill there better be a pleasant view at the top for all my labors, otherwise I'm not sure what the point is. If you're looking for a good training trail with some elevation gain this might be the trail for you, so long as you don't mind looking at a whole lot of nothing impressive the whole way up and back.

PS: bring bug spray! There were lots of mosquitos at the bottom and top of the trail. We were hiking in mid July so this might not be an issue during other times of the year.

Not a hike for views, but have done it twice because it's a little challenge and it out there without being too far away. It's a surprising amount of elevation. No top view but a few side views maybe it was just one. But a solid good maintained trail, Last time I hiked it was end of April and there was snow the last 750 feet or so but not much and still hikeable. The whole hardesty area including this hike is a great place for hikes and trail runs. You can also make a triangle 15 mile loop if you want to.

As far as trail running.... Going up was ok. Coming back down was the best. Mid March was pretty muddy for the first mile. Some snow on the top. some cool pictures.

We stopped there on our way back from O'Dell Lake Sunday. Hiked there for just a little bit to check place place out and we loved it. it was muddy, trees fallen but we didn't care

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Absolutely amazing! Gorgeous view of scenery and no people were out there when I was! It was just a relaxing experience!

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A really great place for training runs. I went in late November and there was mud, slippery leaves, dry trails, wet rocky patches, fallen trees, and snow. Some good climbing but nice flats too to recover. Some really technical areas and a patch of tight switchbacks. The trail is mostly covered by trees, so the ground isn't too wet even this time of year, but it does make it pretty dark. If you're going in the afternoon maybe bring a headlamp or flashlight. You get a pretty diverse running experience here! My puppy and I will be back for sure!

Monday, September 26, 2016

It was a really fun trail hard but alot of fun the trail was pretty well marked. lots of trees and not much of a view. Alot of up hill took me and my friend 7 and a half hours for up and down with a few breaks great work out.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Not much of a view at all, nice tough hike near town.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Great hike ...I thought my lungs would burst. ..But I Made It ...if they charge to hike then they should get better signage .

Monday, May 30, 2016

Great! I didn't see another person the whole time. The only downside is faint traffic the whole way.

Friday, April 08, 2016

good hike.needs to be marked better though

Friday, March 25, 2016

It wasn't the best choice for my first time out this year. Somewhat out of shape to say the least and turned back two miles in. Was a beautiful and intense walk with my boxer Harley. He loved the mud and I didn't slip on the way down, which was very lucky. Next time doing Goodman. Great work out though!

Sunday, January 24, 2016

This one was a real workout on this rainy January day. 55 degrees at the trailhead at 1 PM, 33 degrees on the summit at 3:15, with knee deep snow drifts for the last 3/4 mile and lots of mud for the first 3/4 mile. Had to break out the flashlights for the last half mile or so as the mud made for slow going. No big view anywhere along the trail, just plenty of those mossy conifers that you know and love.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

... ...

m

nn
n
n...

Thursday, June 04, 2015

Enjoyed the scenery of this trail, with the trees, flowering rhododendrons and other wild flowers. Would be nice to be able to see more views of the surrounding area, especially with the elevation you gain on this trail, but still a great trail. Be prepared for the climb! We went after a couple of heavy rain days and the trail in lower elevation was pretty muddy and slick.