Hanging Rock Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Powers, Oregon that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length2.2 miElevation gain383 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashKid friendlyHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingViews
Waypoints (0)
Photos (58)
Activities (30)
Completed (100)
Barbara Ferguson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 10, 2021
HikingOver grownSnow

Lots of trees have fallen across the road recently. All had being cut until we got 1/4 mile from the trailhead. I have a small SUV and it was a tight fit through some of the openings cut in the downed trees. We walked the last 1/4 mile to the trailhead. The trail is a bit overgrown in many places and there was a lot of tree debris. We encountered a few snow patches about 1/2 mile in on the trail. The higher we climbed, the more we found. Thankfully, someone had fine before us and we followed his tracks. Some footsteps were mid-thigh deep in snow. We didn't have a great deal of postholing only because of the person before us. We finally got to the top and the rocks up there were bare. Great views!

Eric Montes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 30, 2021
HikingSnow

Beautiful area, but we could not make it to the trailhead on 3/27/21 because of the snow on the road. I was in a 4x4 with new tires and couldn’t get closer than 4.5 miles from the trailhead. There was close to a foot of snow in some spots with no tire tracks... I made my own tracks for 1/2 miles before turning around. Two Toyota Tacomas turned around before I did and I talked to multiple people who also couldn’t make it up there in full size trucks with four wheel drive. I tried two different roads and both were no go. Maybe if I had a second vehicle, tire chains, and equipment to pull out if stuck but other than that, I don’t think it’s possible to get up there right now.

Aly S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 11, 2021
HikingGreat!Rocky

Such a beautiful area. Definitely one that’s worth seeing in ever season and weather situation!

Crystal Blower
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 15, 2020
Hiking

11/15/20: Awesome rainforest type setting. We got there when it was super foggy, but it cleared up, so we got to see both worlds! The drive there from Medford was crazy and entailed two hours on backroads, but it wasn’t bad. Definitely want to come back in the summer!

View Crystal's activity
Tara Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2020

Wow!!! Beautiful!! Nothing negative to say

View Tara's activity
Laicee Eichler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingGreat!No shade
Elena Accountant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

We drove in from Coos Bay for this hike. It doesn't seem far but takes a long time on the gravel road part, far more time driving than hiking. It changes nicely from forested to open views for miles. I don't know how I would feel about taking young kids on this hike, with the very serious cliffs and definitely keep your dog on a leash. But the views were amazing and it wasn't a hard or long hike. We basically had it to ourselves, passing people on our way to the rock who had already been there. Lots of Indian Paintbrush and Foxglove. There were some angry bee-type insects near the parking area that followed us for awhile.

Trent Hatfield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020

beautiful short hike. Great views on a clear day. road to Trailhead not bad but might be too much for small passenger car.

Negated Cannaday
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2020
HikingBlowdownSnow

That is well worth the trip up! BEAUTIFUL! The drive was long, and a little rough. We had to hoof it from the Panther Ridge 1/4mi. sign cause the snow was around a foot deep and our 2WD car couldn’t make it. If you got a truck, easy. The Trail was nice and short. Had some snow and blowdown but manageable. Trekking poles wouldn’t hurt, this time of year. * No parking fee. * GPS works (very poor to almost none) * No toilets.

Alex Simpson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2019
HikingNo shade
View Alex's activity
Merle Lyon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2019
Hiking

Great short trip for all hikers and backpackers. Wonderful views and cool open timberlands. The long drive is worth it and the few water bars near the trailhead are navigable by most vehicles.

Fallon Hockema
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 20, 2019

I followed GPS from Alltrails and it had a hard time staying on course. It was easier to follow GPS for Panther Ridge to get there. Rough road in some spots yet my Honda Accord made it just fine. This view is amazing! It was foggy and lightly raining so it gave the entire place a very erie vibe but OMG the view. I did manage to stomach climbing up onto the rock itself but it was very windy and pretty scary with just how high you are. The 4 hour drive to get here was well worth it.. may I return again. Loved this place.

Brittany Washko
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 11, 2018

Quick short trail with great views! I was worried about the drive up, but my small car (Toyota Corolla) did fine on the 45 minutes of gravel/dirt road. I would recommend this trail!

Marieline Neth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2018
Hiking

Short and sweet easy hike, with highly rewarding views for the effort, in a very remote area. Free camping at Buck Creek at this time of the year.

Jerry Cruz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2018
Hiking

The view was amazing! We did the longer route about 3 miles one way so I would consider this as hard hike but everything was worth it.

Courtney Shipley
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 24, 2018
Hiking

Was t able to reach the trail due to fire concerns and logging trucks on a one vehicle road.

Michelle Altermatt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2018
Hiking

Beautiful views. Views from the top are stunning. I would not recommend turning on Rock Creek. Go into Powers and GPS will reroute you. About 10 minutes past Rock Creek on 42.

Jessica Mae Walton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 28, 2017

Gorgeous views!!! Easy hike. Bring water, phone or camera. And maybe a blanket to spread out if you want to hang out just to just soak it all in (highly recommended)

Jack A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2017

Awesome Trail, amazing views, clear path and well kept. The drive there on the NFD roads are another story. Not a terrible drive but some crazy roads, luckily I had nobody coming the opposite way or else you are in a bad spot. Highly Recommend.

Teresa Kohart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2017

Beautiful area!

Carolyn MacIntyre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 7, 2017

This place is amazing! Easy hike with stunning views! I don't have an issue with heights normally but crawling out on this rock gave me some. Pretty freaky.

Kelli Sherman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 22, 2017

One of our favorite hikes, beautiful views!

Zachary Ring
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2016
First to Review

The trail was clean and easy to follow. My family enjoyed it.

Tiffanie Cross
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 29, 2020
View Tiffanie's activity
Steve Ryan
View Steve's activity
rex plombon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
View rex's activity