Grizzly Peak Trail

Grizzly Peak Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 921 feet Route Type: Loop

From Ashland head east on Hwy 66, about 1/4 mile east of Hwy 5, turn Left onto Dead Indian Memorial Road. Continue on Dead Indian Memorial Road for about 6.4 miles. Turn Left onto Shale City Road. From here the way to Grizzly Peak is marked. There are at least 2 forks in the road, just follow the signs.

Amazing views! Beautiful maintained trail. Easy inclines and plenty of flat along the way. This one of the best hikes in the valley!

icy

Great hike. It was stormy so I didn't get to see the views but being at the top while the clouds rolled over me was awesome. The snow pack added to the difficulty and fun. Can't wait to go back when it's clear!

the views are so beautiful! we went pretty early so there's not much hikers.

Beautiful hike. Short and sweet, amazing view of the valley and Mt Shasta.

Awesome views, steep climb off the get go but levels off... Great early morning hike!

Lovely trail with amazing views and beautiful old growth forest. The elevation gain is gradual, there are only a few feet of steep or rocky areas. I suggest hiking the loop clockwise (start off of the left trail). If the weather is hot I would hike this clockwise to the summit and then turn around for an out and back. The other side of the loop is through burn area, so it is very hot and unprotected in warm months. The views are amazing along so much of this hike. Great for kids, dogs, people of all ages. Road to get there is very easy for any car. So glad to have so many awesome trails close to Medford. No water on trail, make sure to bring!

was a 6.1 mile hike from the lot... a great hike, but the 4.7 loop is a bit into the hike.

This was fun and the views were awesome considering what seemed like a fairly flat hike. Enjoyed it a lot. Muddy in places so don’t wear your dress shoes.

One of Southern Oregon’s best hikes—it goes up the mountain and rewards you with panoramic views from Grizzly Peak. The first mile is a very gradual uphill hike—not even as steep as stairs. When you reach where the trail splits you can pick a direction for the loop, you’ll end up back in the same spot. It’s the same distance to the summit regardless of which you choose. The loop section of the trail has some inclines and declines, but it’s pretty level for the most part. I would rate this hike easy-moderate. Definitely not hard. Regardless, take water because it is a long hike.

This was a great hike. Might be too much for most young children or adults who are inexperienced or not in shape. A lot of beautiful views and places to stop and enjoy nature. Fire damage is still evident, but plenty of forest to enjoy.

Our favorite trail we hiked in Oregon yet! Amazing views, animals and plants!

Beautiful day for a hike! Got there about 8:30am and it was only myself, an older couple, and another woman on the trail. Was perfect timing to beat the crowd but not too early to be hiking all alone. The dead cow mentioned previously was gone but you can still smell where it was. Gorgeous views when you turn left at the fork and take the loop that way.

This is a great hike just a few minutes out of Ashland. Restroom at trailhead. Hike starts out a bit steep but is shaded under the trees and green foliage along the trail. Trail is well-groomed, cushy dirt to hike on. Scenic meadows sound the middle of the hike, lots of fallen branches that would make good hiking sticks! Closer to the summit, the trail flattens out for an easy hike to the vista point. I’d like to hike this trail again in the spring when all the wild flowers are in bloom! My favorite thing is that dogs are allowed on the trail. Love being able to take our dog with us!

Excellent

I went around 4pm in August. It took me 2 hours to complete the loop. As someone already warned before, there was a dead cow not so far from the start. So watch out for that. It was steep going up for couple miles after I entered the trail. After that, it wasn’t too bad. Lots of shades and trees. I turned left to get to the peak. It had amazing view. Wish I could stay longer but it was raining really hard. And there was lightning. So I headed back before it got muddy and slippery and just to be safe. The top was not good place when it came to lightning lol. Definitely go back sometimes when it’s sunny. Also, the parking was kind of confused for me at least. I just parked on the side along with other cars.

nice hike. theres a dead cow not too far from the trailhead, so prepare to see and smell that. otherwise, great little hike to start the day!

First timers should go left at the fork, it’s closer to the peak, and it’s the most dramatic view.

Awesome trail! Such diversity! Fascinating to see the difference in the old growth forest on one side and the new growth forest where the wildfire went through. Still had plenty of wildflowers and a spectacular view of Mount Shasta! Will definitely do this trail again if we are ever back this way.

Great hike! Took the left side of the loop and definitely think that lends to the best sweeping views of the Rogue Valley and Mt Shasta. It gets pretty hot out in the burned area, we went on a 90 degree day, but the trees provide shade and very pretty scenery for most of the trail.

Great trail. Beautiful vistas. Lots of wildflowers. Saw a bear. For an easier hike go straight at the fork.

Great trail for views of the valley and Mount Shasta on the clearer days. Good for all ages, 2/3rds of it is shaded.

This is a really well maintained and well trafficked trail, except around the 'back' portion where an old wildfire went through. Here, the trail is narrow and scraggly with the new growth. Great views everywhere. Multiple meadows, great variety.

I would highly suggest anyone to walk this trail it is so breath taking. All the trees with moss hanging on them I love them it’s so quite so you can enjoy the sounds of nature.

My husband and I love hiking this with our pups. We have gone throughout the year at different times and it just gets better every time. It can be a little sketchy if there is still a little snow accumulation. Plenty of places to walk off trail.

Great trail... rocky in some parts but great view of Mt Shasta at the top. Good for more experienced young kids.

Beautiful hike! Definitely did not disappoint!

Lovely trail! Great views of Shasta, lots of wild flowers (:

The trailhead is easy to find and the trail itself is well marked and maintained. There are some switchbacks at the beginning but once you get past those it is a relatively level hike. I would rate it on the easy end of Moderate. If it was a little shorter I would rate it easy. Not to many people on the trail. All the people I saw seemed to be going to watch the sunset. It would be a great view for a sunset hike. Most of the wildflowers are blooming and its beautiful. Overall a great hike worth doing.