Grizzly Peak Trail

Grizzly Peak Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Ashland head east on Hwy 66, about 1/4 mile east of Hwy 5, turn Left onto Dead Indian Memorial Road. Continue on Dead Indian Memorial Road for about 6.4 miles. Turn Left onto Shale City Road. From here the way to Grizzly Peak is marked. There are at least 2 forks in the road, just follow the signs.

Winter access requires a good car to get up to the parking area, as the road is not maintained, even during a light winter.

Hike is great, not overly strenuous but beautiful. During the hike, taking a left at the junction with the sign takes you quickly to the peak and can be an easy out and back. If you take a right it's a considerably longer walk, though not that difficult. Trail is well-maintained and overall this is an awesome hike. Great for dogs.

Amazing views on this trail. I was in awe. More difficult than any of my previous hikes but the view is so worth it!

Hiked Grizzly Peak Saturday 2.10.18. Nice gradual incline of a hike that passes through big stands of trees and the site of a past forest fire that’s just gorgeous with a sweeping view of the valley. Agree with other reviews to go right at the fork first. Was slightly muddy, and very chilly (or windy!!) at the top despite the balmy February day Ashland was having.

I love the burn up there. Just something so amazing about it! And with all the wildlife that's come up since then. So many different angles to view the South Valley from. Was up there last summer.

I’m overweight so this trail was pretty tough for me, but a great challenge to get me ready for the summer hiking season. We’ve had a warm, dry winter so the trail surface was pretty muddy in a few places with patches of dirty snow pack with plenty of grip. I tried to go last week, but turned back because the trail was too icy. I think if you go this time of year you’d need to make sure it was after a few clear days to give the trail some time to clear.

Just as I was considering taking a break or maybe heading back down the view knocked me off my feet. Stunning and so worth the effort. I can’t wait to go back.

Thanks Kevin Aaron, I was wondering how it was. Hiked this trail in the early summer time and loved it! A bit of a hike, but worth it for the views!

hiked yesterday midday after the fog cleared. Clear roads up to Shale City Road then you get some snow/ice/slush. This is passable through the intersection but I started sliding in 4wd shortly pass that. Probably couldve powered through but it got a bit steeper and didnt want to risk it. Walked about a mile to the actual trailhead.

Trail was very icey you dont need foot traction as I did it with normal boots, but they would be very helpful and would take a little zing outta the ole legs.

Once trail splits, if you go right to summit it takes a little while longer to reach but has more rewarding views. if you just want to get there go left to loop trail.

some sections of the trail were hard to find as there were no visible footprints but if you scan the snow you should see a tunnelesque shape meandering, thats it. As always a gps never hurt anybody.

Happy footing

This is a great hike...lots of diverse terrain and amazing views above the clouds. Extremely muddy this time of year.

Great hike with tons of viewpoints. I suggest doing the loop backwards. When you get to the sign that says loop and peak go toward the peak! Much more rewarding.

Great views! Perfect hike for us and our dogs.

We couldn’t do much of it because it was muddy and wet. With three young kids we turned around, but we will be back for sure.

It was icy a bit up the roads too.

Awesome hike even though a little short.

Great fall day! Windy, cool, clouds and sun! A beautiful hike!

There was a ton of snow and in my rental, I couldn’t get to the trailhead so I parked where I could and hiked up. Totally worth it. Gorgeous and serene.

One of my favorites, easy to find, extremely popular on a nice day, well worth it!

Beautiful trail even in the driest time of the year. Spectacular views from the top.

my first attempt resulted in an encounter with two black bears :)

Gorgeous trail with just enough elevation climb to make me feel like I had a workout. Some rocky and loose rock areas on the trail, so hiking shoes best + bring water. September a great month for this trail- neither hot or cold. The views at the summit are gorgeous, even in the fire zone area (it's own special beauty). Weekend was traversed by others, but I was mostly hiking quietly alone- respectful groups.

Great views, fun loop trail! Great fairy houses!

Very nice trail, well marked. Beautiful views even through the fog!