Grizzly Peak Trail

Grizzly Peak Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Ashland head east on Hwy 66, about 1/4 mile east of Hwy 5, turn Left onto Dead Indian Memorial Road. Continue on Dead Indian Memorial Road for about 6.4 miles. Turn Left onto Shale City Road. From here the way to Grizzly Peak is marked. There are at least 2 forks in the road, just follow the signs.

Absolutely gorgeous views! Most of the trail was perfect for running.

Pretty but busy.

Love hike with amazing views of the valley definitely a repeat hike!

excellent hike from april to september or so. just did this one w my boyfriend, took us three hours with a few stops and a long lounge at the summit. super fun, and very popular.

Spectacular trail and amazing views, this is a must do hike while visiting Ashland,

Our family of 5 hiked this trail today and loved it! The kids (ages 10-14) commented on how much they enjoyed it and would do it again! It is easy to find the trailhead and the trail was in great shape. The entire hike is gorgeous and the views are expansive and breathtaking! Highly recommend this hike!

Went up the trail for the first time with my two little dogs in a bicycle basket at times. When it got too steep I pushed the bike ... we had sooo much fun. Great trail condition with some challenges at times ... but that's what I want. Bike/hike is what we are going for. Cruising along at times gives rider and passengers a nice break to recover ... wonderful views everywhere. Met some nice hikers on the top...

The road up is completely clear and devoid of snow and the tree that had fallen has been cut. Beware of potholes hiding in shadows once you turn up the grizzly peak 1.7m sign, there are some whoppers.

The trail is almost completely clear of snow, some small sections but not deep at all. As expected in spring, icy in the morning, mud mid day, and muck in the afternoon. Extremely slippery, poles for balance or shoe traction is welcomed.

Some snow and mud, but BEAUTIFUL at the top and well worth it!

Great hike, killer views at the summit. Wear some good boots, there are some muddy sections. A few areas of snow along the trail.

very stunning in the snow covered trees. hike is longer as you need hike to the trail head, 1.7m one way.

Gorgeous view at the summit! Didn’t expect the foot of snow most of the way, but still worth the trek!

We weren’t expecting 2 feet of snow but the glad we have 4wheel drive some other unlucky soul got stuck in the snow before he could reach the crossroads. Was a great hike, very peaceful.

Love this hike! Gorgeous views! Great at Fall time! Don't miss nearby Bybee falls located further up the road!

Winter access requires a good car to get up to the parking area, as the road is not maintained, even during a light winter.

Hike is great, not overly strenuous but beautiful. During the hike, taking a left at the junction with the sign takes you quickly to the peak and can be an easy out and back. If you take a right it's a considerably longer walk, though not that difficult. Trail is well-maintained and overall this is an awesome hike. Great for dogs.

Amazing views on this trail. I was in awe. More difficult than any of my previous hikes but the view is so worth it!

Hiked Grizzly Peak Saturday 2.10.18. Nice gradual incline of a hike that passes through big stands of trees and the site of a past forest fire that’s just gorgeous with a sweeping view of the valley. Agree with other reviews to go right at the fork first. Was slightly muddy, and very chilly (or windy!!) at the top despite the balmy February day Ashland was having.

I love the burn up there. Just something so amazing about it! And with all the wildlife that's come up since then. So many different angles to view the South Valley from. Was up there last summer.

I’m overweight so this trail was pretty tough for me, but a great challenge to get me ready for the summer hiking season. We’ve had a warm, dry winter so the trail surface was pretty muddy in a few places with patches of dirty snow pack with plenty of grip. I tried to go last week, but turned back because the trail was too icy. I think if you go this time of year you’d need to make sure it was after a few clear days to give the trail some time to clear.

Just as I was considering taking a break or maybe heading back down the view knocked me off my feet. Stunning and so worth the effort. I can’t wait to go back.

Thanks Kevin Aaron, I was wondering how it was. Hiked this trail in the early summer time and loved it! A bit of a hike, but worth it for the views!

hiked yesterday midday after the fog cleared. Clear roads up to Shale City Road then you get some snow/ice/slush. This is passable through the intersection but I started sliding in 4wd shortly pass that. Probably couldve powered through but it got a bit steeper and didnt want to risk it. Walked about a mile to the actual trailhead.

Trail was very icey you dont need foot traction as I did it with normal boots, but they would be very helpful and would take a little zing outta the ole legs.

Once trail splits, if you go right to summit it takes a little while longer to reach but has more rewarding views. if you just want to get there go left to loop trail.

some sections of the trail were hard to find as there were no visible footprints but if you scan the snow you should see a tunnelesque shape meandering, thats it. As always a gps never hurt anybody.

Happy footing

This is a great hike...lots of diverse terrain and amazing views above the clouds. Extremely muddy this time of year.

Great hike with tons of viewpoints. I suggest doing the loop backwards. When you get to the sign that says loop and peak go toward the peak! Much more rewarding.

Great views! Perfect hike for us and our dogs.

We couldn’t do much of it because it was muddy and wet. With three young kids we turned around, but we will be back for sure.

It was icy a bit up the roads too.

Awesome hike even though a little short.

Great fall day! Windy, cool, clouds and sun! A beautiful hike!

There was a ton of snow and in my rental, I couldn’t get to the trailhead so I parked where I could and hiked up. Totally worth it. Gorgeous and serene.

One of my favorites, easy to find, extremely popular on a nice day, well worth it!

Beautiful trail even in the driest time of the year. Spectacular views from the top.