Gresham Butte Saddle Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(85)
Greshem Butte

Gresham Butte Saddle Trail is a 4.5 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gresham, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.5 km Elevation Gain: 209 m Route Type: Out & Back

Beautiful trails. Pretty steep trails in some areas. Lots of wildlife.

GABBERT LOOP I entered the area via Gabbert Street. I was walking with my leashed dog. I read signs I didn’t see as I left, unfortunately NO DOGS ALLOWED. I am careful and always pick up after my dog, I also picked up after others dogs. There is no parking area but the street allows parking and it was plenary. At the entrance you have the option of a normal gravel road or a nice well walked path. At the entrance to the footpath was what appeared to be a brick post with signs for Gabbert Loop or the road. The sign was informative and included approximate distances. I came in late and just wanted a quick walk for my dog(I know better now, I realize now that I was on the back side of a trail I tried earlier this week @ 19th). Wow this was actually a dirt route and had only natural dirt, roots and rock but it was quite enjoyable. I imagine during the day this would be very beautiful. The trail was narrow and moved over flat areas, steep ups and downs. At one intersection another post marked an exit to 33rd street or the completion of the loop ending on Gabbert Street. I LIKE CLEARLY MARKED TRAILS! KIDS The back loop stretch of the trail would be fun for 3-12 yr kids. It’s always fun to walk some place you’ve never been before and I use the signs to help them learn how to Navigate I also like to add Maps for them. I would take my girls in and back on the footpath and skip the return road. It’s some real down hill but still a comfortable walk for kids and regular off street walkers. No STROLLER would be appropriate. On the return route I had a wider path that turned into a routine service style gravel road. The return was also up and down. The entire trail was maintained, but not overwhelmingly, it was a nice natural site. I would not recommend the ‘truck trail’ I will never understand why people want to look at vehicles left to rot that have also been vandalized then graffiti everywhere. Why would we celebrate or want to explore this in our natural spaces? This isn’t a good walk for those who are unsteady. There are some minor large roots that need to be crossed. I probably would NOT come during heavy rain.

19th Street access The trail was wide with a mix of gravel and dirt, it appeared to be recently maintained as both side had berry vines cut and cleared away. This stretch of the trail (19th Street) would be a comfortable walk for a regular off street walker. I think a regular double stroller would be able to make the trip nicely in the summer for someone who is fit and regularly off street. I enjoyed having my dog along, on leash only! There was a historical information area with trail information and a bench, nice touch! The trails were identified and color coded; BUT, there were no markings on the trails themselves to relate to the map. Most people trying to enjoy the areas nature locations would find it frustrating trying to guess where they would be able to be successful. I know it takes extra time to maintain this type of trail information but for regular residents who want to take advantage of natural recourses near them this type of extra is needed to help them feel safe!Providing the trail markings allows residents to choose a trail they can be successful attempting. Some up and down that would be difficult for out of shape walkers or children. I would not recommend this trail at this time of year (Feb) for casual walkers. There are normal muddy areas and longer stretches of increased elevation. I noticed the end of the spur ending at the water tower was marked as no animals. Since I was with my dog it would have been nice to know that I couldn’t continue before I chose that spur of the trail! Bummer!

Hike with mike

Nice trail. Although I wouldn’t rate it easy for a beginner. Especially the south spur, it is quite steep.

Continues to be my favorite neighborhood hike, which I do 3-4 times a week. contrary to to a report of mosquitoes, there are very few or none. there are annoying small black flies, non-biting, at this time of year. Unfortunately, for those not familiar with the trail, the "new" trail signage is no help, as it is 180 deg. backwards. Dog friendly up to the water tower, where the Gabbert trails begin, which are administered by Metro.

Great little workout, beautiful trees, So I’m a pill to get your heart pounding a few shoots so you can make it a little longer. The only drawback right now is the mosquitoes bring your spray. If you go up to the Butte you can take a small trail to come back down it’s a little tighter and like the growth is around your ankles but you’ll see an old abandoned bus and it’s pretty cool. We agree that the signs showing trail direction I kind a messed up.

Lots of berry plants and gravel rock trail throughout. Lots of wildlife and Deer are present!

This is a nice, quiet trail that I’m glad to have in the neighborhood. It’s fairly short, but has some good hills to train on for trail running. I often visit on Sunday evenings and almost always have the trail to myself.

Trail map was pretty confusing, but a little exploration on less maintained trails and made a loop out of one of the sections. Will go back for sure and explore other parts.

Sun May 05 2019

Super nice trail. Very well maintained. Lots of singing bird. A few inclines but way worth it. Nice easy hike to get away from the city.

Sat May 04 2019

Easy hike with kids! Ignore signs saying private property on the trail near the water tower.

Sun Apr 21 2019

did not hike as sign indicates that dogs are not in fact welcome on this trail. will come back without the doggo.

Wed Jan 02 2019

This is a nice in town hike.

Tue Dec 18 2018

Easy and nice for in town hikes. Great trails and peaceful forests

Sun Sep 02 2018

This is my neighborhood trail as I live nearby. We do this trail often, as an out and back and also as a workout hike up to the water tower and down around Gabbert Loop. The loop from our house and back is a good hour and a half. I often jog this trail to keep my heart rate up. Most if it is pretty easy, except the section up to the water tower from what I call the cross roads. You can get a good work out on that climb. Most of the trail is well groomed and wide. The loop is more if a "single track," that is, a bit narrower. The trail is quite pretty and diverse in its flora. The forest changes through out the year with the changing season, keeping the hike interesting year round. It's especially beautiful after a snowfall. I am fortunate to have this trail literally in my back yard.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Nice easy walk with the kiddos. Found a fancy rock. Made our little ones day.

Wed Jun 27 2018

Mom and I hiked every trail here. Earlier the same day I hiked Gabbert Butte to the south. The two trails connect at the water tower. A small loop is possible at the top. A trail splits off to tour the abandoned bus. The unmarked trails are a bit overgrown. It would be great if a wider loop hike could be made. As it is now there are essentially four out-and-backs from a central point where there is signage. For a longer hike, continue south around Gabbert Loop.

Sat Mar 31 2018

I pretty much had the trail to myself on a Saturday. Rust was nice. However not the most scenic of trails.

Sat May 06 2017

Awesome

Sat Feb 25 2017

We walked up Walter's road and hiked to the old abandoned bus. As a sick joke someone wrapped up some old boots, plastic jugs and bubble wrap in a sheet to look like a dead body and placed it inside the bus. Good workout walking up Walters Rd and even better up the hill to the water tower and bus.

Fri Feb 17 2017

Lindsay -- you were on the wrong trail . Quite scenic, can make the heart beat faster going up to the water tower and bus.

Sat Jan 21 2017

it was a great trail very nice scenery it has alot more trails that connect so you can make as easy or as hard as you like. I will be back to follow the other trails.

Sun Oct 09 2016

Good hike to walk of that McDonald's

Sun Sep 11 2016

uploaded a photo of one of the creeps from the trail. he was loading this shopping cart up into his truck in the parking area for some reason

Fri Sep 09 2016

Was a nice hike until my daughter was accosted by a scruffy looking individual after running ahead of me. I would recommend anyone who walks this trail bring a big can of mace. Scary

Tue Sep 06 2016

this trail is a one star. creepy homeless people crawling out of the bushes and living in the woods. garbage all over the trail. groups of high school kids use it as a shortcut home and it shows

Sat Sep 03 2016

walked from park side apartment homes this morning entered the trail off 19th Street walked to the top then took pics of the abandoned truck then all the way through to the other side then home

Fri Jun 24 2016

our hike was very steep we never saw the bus I will try again without alltrails gps it put us at a neighborhood trailhead we went uphill 2 miles then 2 miles back to car it was beautiful but the info on my alltrail app was so disapointing...and wrong still great workout