Green Lakes

Green Lakes is a 9.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bend, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,187 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Bend: Green Lakes Trailhead is 27 miles west of Bend on Century Drive, off Hwy. 46 at Fall Creek. Northwest Forest Pass required.

Cascade Lakes Hwy gate is closed for the winter!

Done today (11/17) and it was absolutely beautiful. We drove all the way down from Olympia and it was the best choice we could have made. Everything you could want in a hike... rivers, waterfalls, lakes, mountains, cute bridges, and thankfully it was not heavily trafficked today. The trail had some snow/ice on it but nothing unmanageable. The view of the Sisters mountains was breathtaking. The water color was beautifully green/blue. Twas a great day!! (As always, I will post detailed photos)

Awesome. Best hike in Central Oregon so far.

icy

Great place to camp! We hiked the Green Lakes Trail and stayed at camp site #1 on 11/10. We brought our microspikes because we heard the trail was a bit icy, and we did end up using them both on the way in and out. They were definitely needed earlier in the morning on our way with the lower temps causing more ice to form. There was a bit of snow at the Green Lakes but it was mostly hard packed, no new snow.

icy

Like everyone else has already said, it is a beautiful and easy hike for all ages. We didn't use crampons and they would have been overkill, but had poles which came in handy as there were many icy spots. Some type of Yaktraxs ice cleats would have been nice.

I recommend this beautiful trail. it just is absolutely gorgeous and pretty easy to hike.

Good easy trail. A little bit icy in spots (be careful when you are traversing over rocks past 3 foot streams or black ice in general). Not 9.1 miles, about 4 miles. Not much elevation gain. It was a great day!

icy

Great hike! Not too long or too hard. Took us about 5.5 hours, and we stop a lot to take pictures and eat... The maple trees have already shed their leaves. A short few parts of the trail are steep and icy so be careful. It was cold yesterday but not terrible. Almost the entire trail is in the shade. Note that this weekend there's going to be some marathon there.

icy

3/4 of the trail as of yesterday was still packed ice and while some of our group made it without traction devices, it is very highly recommended. Nice gentle incline with several difficult water crossing for dogs (3 logs and several jumps).

icy

Can be muddy near trail head after ground thaws. Snow on 90% of trail, icy at points. Hiked with traction devices and poles, highly suggested, trail packed down from hikers; snow not deep enough for snowshoes. Nice falls on Fall Creek. Obsidian boulders in upper Fall Creek. Great views at Green Lakes. Lakes are not frozen over on this date.

My calves are killing me but it was worth every minute.

A good number of people on this trail. Still a great hike with beautiful changing landscape. Peaceful woods then some great views as it opens up, closer to the lake. A number of stream crossings..most with a nice log foot bridge.

Great hike well maintained trail. At least seven waterfalls, and a series of rapids. Ice in some areas so was glad to have yak tracks and poles. But all in all an amazing hike with the variety of scenery.

Beautiful.

Stunning, must see!

Excellent day and conditions for hiking the Green Lakes trail. Started at 130pm on a Monday and practically no one on the trail which is not usually the case. 4 hrs round trip with a slow moving 13 yr old dog.

This trail exceeded my expectations! Long, but no too difficult. Not crowded. Gorgeous views of the mountains! It was definitely a bit slick from packed snow in a few sections. I recommend taking poles or yak trax for those parts.

Perfect hike, just what we were looking for. Love the variety of landscape; woods, creeks, waterfalls, bridges, canyon, open plains, and lakes. Not to mention the HUGE s. Sister and Broken Top you get as backgrounds for this hike. A+ took us just under 4 hours. We are in avg shape.

This trail completely exceeded my expectations for a snowy mountain trail. The parking lot was actually not full, for once in the history of ever, and the trail was well maintained through the snow from previous footprints. Only issue is there is no tree markers or posts for the trail to follow incase snow masked the trail, so just be cautious. There was roughly 0.5-2 inches of snow gathered on the ground, that only accumulated more the higher elevation you gained. I climbed in regular Hiking Keen boots with no trekking poles and had no issues up or down the trail. I decided to utilize sunshine and started the trailhead about 1045am and arrived back the the car by 300pm: taking my time, enjoying views and hot coffee at the lake. The entire hike was breath taking and the lake was silent and crisp.... as my hiking partner and I were the only two people up there. Stunning. Amazing hike to do before the road closes for the season!

Great hike. Lakes and mountain views are gorgeous. I'd say it's more on the easy side than moderate but it's probably ranked as it is because of the 9 mile distance.