Gray Butte is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Culver, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,778 feet Route Type: Loop

We did the hike backwards which was a great suggestion of one of reviewers. Some confusing trails but not bad at all. lots of cows on the trail at some points . I just I think too much wide open road hiking instead of interesting trail itself. The hill is intense but doable at a decent pace. High overhead clouds so good views it hazy.

Great local hike with lots of options. Wildflowers were amazing!

May 21st, 2019. What a great trail. It was a bit muddy due to the recent rain but overall it was very doable. Trekking poles are needed if you decide to descent the steep way down.

What a booty burner! We decided to do this hike counter clockwise in order to get the steep incline out of the way first--and boy am I glad we did. Even as an avid hiker, I honestly can't imagine descending on the north side of the butte considering the steepness and the rocks. Once the first 1.5 miles was over, it was smooth sailing from there. Lots of mountain bikers on the south/west trail and we only saw 3 hikers total. The weather was beautiful, although windy at the top. The trail is mostly exposed, so it's not a hike I'd recommend in the middle of the summer. I'd say just be ready to climb, pack lots of water and snacks, a hat, and some sunscreen. The views are stunning!

Wed Nov 07 2018

This was a good hike but definitely not moderate the entire trail. There are many challenging uphills but the last 1 1/2 miles is a killer! Be prepared with water, food and definitely keep in mind the time change if you hike in late fall. We were just getting back to the car after the sunset. The view was epic!! So thankful for the beautiful skies and weather. We started at Smith Rock so the total was 15 miles. I definitely wouldn’t bring a dog.

Tue Jun 12 2018

Not an easy trail and there was a total lack of trail for a good part of it. Please see photo for lack of trail. I have lived in the area for over 35 years and this is not an easy trail. Misery Ridge, Black Butte and South Sister are all easier hikes none of which are rated easy. The views of Central Oregon are better from Black Butte. I am by no means a novice hiker or land navigator. The "easy" trail posted by AllTrails could actually endanger people who are looking for an easy hike. If you do want to hike Gray Butte I suggest you plan a route using the service roads and making your ascent and descent on the south/south east side of the butte.

Sun May 27 2018

Not an easy trail. At least a third of it isn't. Awesome day to hike it was 55 F warm sun and 20+ winds. Tried to follow the track someone posted. Found no trail on the west side of their track so went "cross country ". Steep decent on N side up to 43% grade at times. It is a lot longer if you stay on the trail but I recommend doing so.

Mon Mar 26 2018

Loved this trail, but wouldn’t call it easy. It’s rutted and not flat. I missed the trail head by about a quarter mile even though I used the gps coordinates. Great views and dog friendly. Will definitely go back again.

Sun Sep 24 2017

great views of Central Oregon. no wind today. amazing hike. Hiked the loop trail to summit and back down service road. Awesome day

Wed Aug 16 2017

Good views at the top.

Fri May 19 2017

Hurry if you want to see the wildflowers. The weather was perfect today for mountain views. Not much traffic on the trail (McCoin Orchard trail head). The 'rough gravel road' to get up there is pretty gnarly from the heavy rains this year, and I was very happy I had AWD with my old Subie!

Sun Mar 26 2017

Beautiful! As of today 3-25 it was slightly muddy. The drive there was a lot more muddy than the actual hike but I also drove way in and didn't start at the actual trailhead.

Sun Apr 10 2016

Easy hike, spectacular views.

recorded Gray Butte