Gray Butte

Gray Butte is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Culver, Oregon that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Not an easy trail and there was a total lack of trail for a good part of it. Please see photo for lack of trail. I have lived in the area for over 35 years and this is not an easy trail. Misery Ridge, Black Butte and South Sister are all easier hikes none of which are rated easy. The views of Central Oregon are better from Black Butte. I am by no means a novice hiker or land navigator. I have hiked in the Hindu Kush Mountains of Afghanistan and always hike with 50+ pounds in my pack. The "easy" trail posted by AllTrails could actually endanger people who are looking for an easy hike. If you do want to hike Gray Butte I suggest you plan a route using the service roads and making your ascent and descent on the south/south east side of the butte.

Not an easy trail. At least a third of it isn't. Awesome day to hike it was
55 F warm sun and 20+ winds. Tried to follow the track someone posted. Found no trail on the west side of their track so went "cross country ". Steep decent on N side up to 43% grade at times. It is a lot longer if you stay on the trail but I recommend doing so.

Loved this trail, but wouldn’t call it easy. It’s rutted and not flat. I missed the trail head by about a quarter mile even though I used the gps coordinates. Great views and dog friendly. Will definitely go back again.

great views of Central Oregon. no wind today. amazing hike. Hiked the loop trail to summit and back down service road. Awesome day

Good views at the top.

Friday, May 19, 2017

Hurry if you want to see the wildflowers. The weather was perfect today for mountain views. Not much traffic on the trail (McCoin Orchard trail head). The 'rough gravel road' to get up there is pretty gnarly from the heavy rains this year, and I was very happy I had AWD with my old Subie!

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Beautiful! As of today 3-25 it was slightly muddy. The drive there was a lot more muddy than the actual hike but I also drove way in and didn't start at the actual trailhead.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Easy hike, spectacular views.

Sunday, April 28, 2013