God's Thumb via Roads End Scenic Trail Loop

God's Thumb via Roads End Scenic Trail Loop is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln City, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

PLEASE NOTE: Parking for this trail is located at the lot at Roads End State Park. Due to the high volume of traffic and limited parking it is important to park in this lot so as not to disturb the local residents or hike on private property. Access to God's Thumb from the North Side at Logan Road/Williams Court is prohibited and illegal. Trespassers will be fined. From the parking lot visitors can walk to Logan Street and walk one block north to 61st Street, cross Logan Creek and follow 61st as it curves to the left. Keep straight at Spindrift and then make a right on 63rd Street. Cross Neptune Drive and walk up to the left on Port Drive, which curves along a ridge lined with residences. Turn right where Port Drive becomes gravel and keep straight at Sal La Sea Drive. You will reach a gate after the last house. The trail will take you to a basalt formation known as God's Thumb on Siuslaw National Forest land. Take in the spectacular views at the top of the Salmon River and Cascade Head and return along the same trail back to the parking lot. Use caution as there have been multiple slips with injuries on the trail.

Awesome hike. If you’re afraid of heights don’t do this hike and whine about how dangerous it is in the review.

Gorgeous hike! Yes, know your comfort level and your limits. We went to the top along the ride and up the middle, and I'm pregnant :-) I crab crawled back down to be extra careful though, but it was beautiful and worth it.

Really enjoyed this hike! Didn’t go all the way around the loop due to hiking in my birks (felt too sketchy on the cliff side). There is a really great view point about halfway in the hike. It’s at the first clearing to the left.

I wouldn’t recommend going to the top. It’s a straight drop down on both sides with loose rocks.

Great treail. Park toward the higher end of Logan and hike a shorter up and back.

It was great! One of my fellow hikers turned 64 today and he stood on top of God’s Thumb to celebrate.

Very steep to the top and very challenging specially with a toddlerette but definitely worth it! We did the whole loop and the trail in itself is super pretty! Shaded, cool breeze, lovely view!

I read a review earlier citing several sources that reported accidents on this trail. It was stated that the trail is unstable. I didn't find it to be unstable. It has steep grades with loose dirt so I would advise trekking poles to aid in both downhill and uphill and to provide stability and support. I also recommend taking your time and knowing your limits. After reading the review that stated the trail was unstable I was concerned. I researched it as much as possible. Here is my take. I believe that in most cases accident and injury can be avoided if you follow basic hiking precautions. I hiked away from the edge. I had trekking poles, I had an emergency kit and plenty of water and layers. I checked the weather prior to going and I had familiarized myself with the trail. I wore proper hiking shoes and I knew I was conditioned for a hike like this. Additionally I viewed a youtube video that was taken by drone to get a feel for the actual size of the summit/peak to make sure it wasn't sheer dropoffs on all sides. It is not. There is ample space to be at the top and avoid the edges. I never encountered any "unstable" areas of the trail, meaning areas where it was eroding or could give way under you. It is uneven. There are roots and rocks to take into account and when the dirt is dry it can shift a bit under foot. If you are a cautious and careful hiker and have basic common sense this hike should be plenty safe. There are of course things we can't account for. But the hike and trail itself is fine if you respect your limits and the limits of what is safe to do there.

This was a lovely, quick little day hike with lots of shade and pretty views. We started at the parking lot which took us up through the neighborhood then onto the trail. It's mostly easy with a few steep parts, but totally doable if you're slow and steady. The trail becomes a little scary as you approach God's Thumb because you're hiking along the ridge and it's slightly disorienting.
We were not able to reach the top of God's Thumb though because someone had fallen off the cliff and was being rescued when we got there. Moral of the story is, be cautious!
We had beautiful views though, and we will definitely do this hike again.

Great hike! Definitely worth it. Hard to find parking, but there is some street parking about 100 feet from the trailhead-- if youre lucky. There's a gate that says no trespassing, just go around it and follow it up. There's a house, but the trail starts before you get near the house. It's off to the side. Beautiful views! But my friend and I did get dive bombed by a huge hawk, so be careful.

There have been several people who had to be rescued from this trail due to treacherous conditions. The trail is unstable, the fog and wind unpredictable. Please research this before using the trail.

5 stars for the view at the end, but this trail wasn’t very exciting. There are also no signs at all so you have to know where you’re going. For those that may not know, if you open the map of the trail from this app while you’re hiking, you can follow along as a blue dot so you know if you’re on the right path! That feature really came in handy on this trail.

Fun little hike-run. Did an out and back, and the views were stunning all directions! Beware of the steep cliff at the top with children and or DOGS! There are no signs and a good drop off over the ridge! 

Great hike. They are currently cutting back overgrowth (which was needed) Moderate is a good description. There’s some steep bits but mostly easy. Towards the Thumb it gets narrow and steep and the dirt is loose and dry so it’s a bit scary at times. We were carrying a 1 year old and 3 year old on our backs. I think doing a solo hike this would have been less of an issue but carrying a tiny human- things get a tad scarier. Overall— stunning and we’ll do it again sometime. They do need some signage tho. There’s two great viewpoints and you might miss one.
FYI- park at the state park. We watched them driving rounds looking for cars to ticket that parked on the road when walking up to the trail head.

Second time going....short hike with stunning views! We got a break in the clouds and it was so rewarding.

Great views. Trail wasn’t busy at all. We start right around 830am and only saw 3 other people the entire time. No bees at all.

I’d rate this easy aside from a few brief steep inclines and the final incline to the very top. Well worth the trip!

Fantastic views at the top of God’s thumb, but be careful when hiking with kids- there is a cliff at the top and no guard rail or danger signs. Also, it is supposed to be a loop trail, but it wasn’t obvious where the loop is, and the loop is overgrown, so we just did a “there and back” on the more popular trail. Shady with vegetation until you reach the “thumb.” Muddy in parts and lots of roots.

Beautiful vew of the ocean

What an awesome view! We were able to find legal parking just down the road from the trailhead, so the total round trip was just about 2 miles. We were a little thrown by the "no parking" sign and house numbers on the gate, but the map here at AllTrails was spot on so we continued. The trail is in fair shape, but could use some work for as much traffic as it seems to get.

It was a long uphill at the beginning but after that it easier. The top is gorgeous and definitely worth it.

More easy than moderate; some scrambling required. I recommend driving all the way to the end of logan rd to get a feel for where the trailhead is and then find street parking near there. Everything on logan rd is a vacation rental, public parking is allowed, and trail maps actually recommend parking at the trailhead. I would skip the loop and just do an out and back from this trailhead in order to avoid about 100 ft of severe cliffside trail erosion and an overgrown section of thimble berries. Following this route would likely cut off a mile and a couple hundred feet of elevation gain.

Easy hike with very few people before 9AM. Beautiful walking thru the ferns and forest. 10 miles of narrow windy road to get to trailhead from highway 101.

Beautiful and very well worth the hike up! It is slightly strenuous, not really though. The map is very accurate and is what helped guide myself through the way. The ONLY steep and strenuous part of the hike is when you actually get to the big rock, AKA God’s Thumb. Easy part is going up and the most difficult is the way down! Like I said, it is very well worth it! The whole trip, there and back was around 1 hour and 45 minutes. I had a child with me so I stopped quite a few times.

Had the time of my life!!! Absolutely beautiful and worth every bit of getting past the hard parts in the beginning. Keep pushing past the beginning, it does level out and get easier! Also, a ton of “T’s”, make sure you’re following the map on this app so you don’t end up taking the wrong turn! On the way up to God’s thumb is pretty insane and getting down may seem scary but there are almost “stairs” on the way down so pay close attention to which way you decide to climb down. Absolutely worth the hike!!

Be aware and smart.

If it's Illegal to go that way, they sure are taking their time to post that it's not. I will continue to go through that gate until the signs appear. The gate to the right does say no trespassing. If the people who live on the left gate didn't want people accessing that trail, you'd think they'd post one themselves!

The trail isn’t really marked so kind need to know where to go the get started. Also, not sure who manages or maintains the trail at all as it pretty much just seems like a user defined trail. Only two things that kept it from being a 5 star trail for me.

Overall was great. Did it with two young kids and my mother. Steep at the end but not really tricky. Views were awesome on a clear sunny day.

Great little hike close in and very family friendly. Will be doing again in the future.

So here’s a true story- don’t let your dog off the leash because they will go right off the edge. In this case he fell onto a ledge and was able to be saved, but it was a stomach dropping kind of feeling. No bueno. But back to the hike. It’s a freaking phenomenal view once you get to the top. It’s a steep mofo at the end, but it’s doable. I admit I was on my hands and knees at times coming up the last part because my legs are short and that’s how I roll. There’s plenty of mud, but most can be avoided, and you’ll be forced to walk in the bushes, so it’s up to you if you want to wear pants or long sleeves. There also may or may not have been two small snakes slithering across the trail on the way back down the hill, so keep your eyes open. If you’re a wildflower aficionado, this is the hike for you.

Easy hike. The view is stunning at the top!

It was a little tricky to find the trail but definitely worth hiking. Amazing views! Very steep coming down but made it without goin down the hill on my bottom.

Amazing views! Crazy incline climb to the top of the thumb!