God's Thumb via Roads End Scenic Trail Loop

God's Thumb via Roads End Scenic Trail Loop is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln City, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

PLEASE NOTE: Parking for this trail is located at the lot at Roads End State Park. Due to the high volume of traffic and limited parking it is important to park in this lot so as not to disturb the local residents or hike on private property. Access to God's Thumb from the North Side at Logan Road/Williams Court is prohibited and illegal. Trespassers will be fined. From the parking lot visitors can walk to Logan Street and walk one block north to 61st Street, cross Logan Creek and follow 61st as it curves to the left. Keep straight at Spindrift and then make a right on 63rd Street. Cross Neptune Drive and walk up to the left on Port Drive, which curves along a ridge lined with residences. Turn right where Port Drive becomes gravel and keep straight at Sal La Sea Drive. You will reach a gate after the last house. The trail will take you to a basalt formation known as God's Thumb on Siuslaw National Forest land. Take in the spectacular views at the top of the Salmon River and Cascade Head and return along the same trail back to the parking lot.

What an awesome view! We were able to find legal parking just down the road from the trailhead, so the total round trip was just about 2 miles. We were a little thrown by the "no parking" sign and house numbers on the gate, but the map here at AllTrails was spot on so we continued. The trail is in fair shape, but could use some work for as much traffic as it seems to get.

It was a long uphill at the beginning but after that it easier. The top is gorgeous and definitely worth it.

More easy than moderate; some scrambling required. I recommend driving all the way to the end of logan rd to get a feel for where the trailhead is and then find street parking near there. Everything on logan rd is a vacation rental, public parking is allowed, and trail maps actually recommend parking at the trailhead. I would skip the loop and just do an out and back from this trailhead in order to avoid about 100 ft of severe cliffside trail erosion and an overgrown section of thimble berries. Following this route would likely cut off a mile and a couple hundred feet of elevation gain.

Easy hike with very few people before 9AM. Beautiful walking thru the ferns and forest. 10 miles of narrow windy road to get to trailhead from highway 101.

Beautiful and very well worth the hike up! It is slightly strenuous, not really though. The map is very accurate and is what helped guide myself through the way. The ONLY steep and strenuous part of the hike is when you actually get to the big rock, AKA God’s Thumb. Easy part is going up and the most difficult is the way down! Like I said, it is very well worth it! The whole trip, there and back was around 1 hour and 45 minutes. I had a child with me so I stopped quite a few times.

Had the time of my life!!! Absolutely beautiful and worth every bit of getting past the hard parts in the beginning. Keep pushing past the beginning, it does level out and get easier! Also, a ton of “T’s”, make sure you’re following the map on this app so you don’t end up taking the wrong turn! On the way up to God’s thumb is pretty insane and getting down may seem scary but there are almost “stairs” on the way down so pay close attention to which way you decide to climb down. Absolutely worth the hike!!

Be aware and smart.

If it's Illegal to go that way, they sure are taking their time to post that it's not. I will continue to go through that gate until the signs appear. The gate to the right does say no trespassing. If the people who live on the left gate didn't want people accessing that trail, you'd think they'd post one themselves!

The trail isn’t really marked so kind need to know where to go the get started. Also, not sure who manages or maintains the trail at all as it pretty much just seems like a user defined trail. Only two things that kept it from being a 5 star trail for me.

Overall was great. Did it with two young kids and my mother. Steep at the end but not really tricky. Views were awesome on a clear sunny day.

Great little hike close in and very family friendly. Will be doing again in the future.

So here’s a true story- don’t let your dog off the leash because they will go right off the edge. In this case he fell onto a ledge and was able to be saved, but it was a stomach dropping kind of feeling. No bueno. But back to the hike. It’s a freaking phenomenal view once you get to the top. It’s a steep mofo at the end, but it’s doable. I admit I was on my hands and knees at times coming up the last part because my legs are short and that’s how I roll. There’s plenty of mud, but most can be avoided, and you’ll be forced to walk in the bushes, so it’s up to you if you want to wear pants or long sleeves. There also may or may not have been two small snakes slithering across the trail on the way back down the hill, so keep your eyes open. If you’re a wildflower aficionado, this is the hike for you.

Easy hike. The view is stunning at the top!

It was a little tricky to find the trail but definitely worth hiking. Amazing views! Very steep coming down but made it without goin down the hill on my bottom.

Amazing views! Crazy incline climb to the top of the thumb!

Beautiful

I went yesterday. It was a good afternoon hike. A little slippery due to mud but enjoyable. When I was in the bushes of the hike, I saw a few bumble bees. And when I got to the top it had a beautiful view. I would suggest going on a drier day. Also when you get to the trail head, there is a no trust passing sign on the right gate and on the left gate there was a no parking sign. Go up the side with the “no parking sign”. About a quarter of a mile up you can find the trail on the right. I am a Washington hiker and I had to follow a few people and their dogs to figure out where the trail was. I would do it again because of the view on top.

Great views! Trail to the right is very steep and definitely makes you feel the burn! Trail to the very top of Gods Thumb seemed a little sketchy but we made it! For parking in the lot I would walk up the gravel road (Sal Ah Sea) instead of the other directions. Less steep. Then it’s just a right in port dr and the gate is just a few houses down.

Good exercise and breathtaking view

Amazing variety of ecosystems. The hike to the point was scary and exhilarating. We did the loop starting at one end of the neighborhood and finishing at the other. Account for another mile and a half or so for walking through the neighborhood to the parking lot at Roads End.

Beautiful hike. Most of the beginning is uphill and tucked away. There are parts of the hike that are very dense where the trail is really narrow which is awesome. The “thumb” was intimidating if you’re a little scared of heights but was worth the jitters! Beautiful.

Great hike through the upper trail that goes through the forest. May have to crawl butt backwards along the ridge in one or two spots. Be careful going down. Great views that day as it was a clear day. You can do out and back along the upper trail or take the upper trail and return to the park via the lower trail that is along the road/beach.

It was a great hike...a bit muddy towards the meadows area but the views of the ocean from the top were great

Beautiful from start to finish. A little muddy at the end but not bad. Follow the all trails directions, they get you there perfectly! I would have gotten lost/given up without this app!

Beautiful forest trail with a good amount of incline. BUT it is not marked so finding where to turn or knowing where you were on the route was very difficult. Once we made it to the knoll, it was too foggy to see the ocean so I cannot comment on that. We will definitely try again but some signage would be helpful.

Finding the trailhead was difficult, especially since we wanted to be respectful and not trespass on private property. It was also confusing because there’s no trail sign announcing the location of the trailhead. To make it more confusing, there were signs for The Knoll Forest area where we thought the trailhead for God’s Thumb trailhead should have been.

Once we were on the trail, we enjoyed the hike. While there were a lot of people at the end (I️ prefer solitude on hikes) it was still a grand view and lovely reward.

We took a different way back, the “lower path” which seems to be “the one more traveled.” I️ didn’t find it as beautiful and would stick to the “upper path” if I️ return.

All in all, it was a good hike.

Moderate hike, but the view is well worth it. No parking at the entrance so you have to walk about a mile to get to the trail. One of the best trails I have ever been on. Great views of the ocean along the trail. Trail was muddy at some spots but not too bad.

Love this hike , took all the kids and the dogs on a pretty rain day , muddy and a lot of up hill but totally worth the view !!!!

It's a great workout trail. Lots of mud right now. The first mile-ish is an up hill grade. The view is amaze-balls!! Go for it.

Very very muddy after several days of rain. And lots of slippery steep parts not great for small children. Was the view from God thumb worth it? Yes! But please -keep your dogs on a leash since we are all standing on the edge of a cliff!!!!!

One person wrote "Strange entrance (climbing over a gate) and hiking on a private drive for the beginning of the hike". Strange because you are TRESPASSING. Accessing the Thumb from the dead end of Logan Road is ILLEGAL. The City is trying to get signs posted so you know where to go for LEGAL access. But if you read the DESCRIPTION above, you will see how to legally access this beautiful place without trespassing and getting a parking ticket. Enjoy your visit, but please don't break the law to do it.

Very muddy but gorgeous hike! Worth it. Hiked at 7am where the clouds started disappearing and the beautiful blue skies started to be exposed. Fun!