Gnat Creek Trail

Gnat Creek Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Astoria, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 984 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This beautiful trail follows Gnat Creek and proceeds through of lush forest full of mosses, ferns, and old-growth trees.

beautiful trail. muddy.

So nice I've hiked it twice! Beautiful hike! Mostly wooded with beautiful openings to creek & waterfall views. Loved the trail more once I passed the fishery. That's when it gets really pretty. Its almost 8 miles if you park outside gnat creek campground at the trailhead, 7.74 miles round trip.

nice easy trail. does get muddy

Very interesting hike if you start at the campgrounds, after a little over a mile hike through gorgeous, mossy forest you come to a highway crossing then a short jaunt through a woodsy area. After this you cross a lawn between two houses and through the parking lot of the fish hatchery to continue to Upper Gnat Creek trail. Barrier Falls is close & then not too far from there will be a special forest find! There is a short loop at the end of the trail. About 6.5 miles total based on tracker. Saw some oyster mushrooms, a couple reishi, red belt conks & tons of lobsters! Took us about 2hrs with a 30 min lunch break. Next time need to find Gnat Creek Falls! Would rate 4.5☆s and more of an easy-moderate hike

Sooo many bees

Lovely water with volcanic rock. Lots of beautiful trees, forest and quiet.

I loved the variety of inclines throughout the hike. You’re basically hiking along the creek which sounded quite serene and surrounded by lush forest. A few spots where muddy but not bad. I’m a mushroom lover so I encountered a few trees with beautiful large artists conks (Ganoderma applanatum) that were growing on some Conifer trees which were an exciting sight to see. I would definitely go again and recommend the hike to all ages. The trails were well maintained. It takes an hour to the end of the trail.

Really great trail! I love that there’s a good diversity of uphill/downhill and straight aways. As well as some nice river spots for your furry friends to play in. Only reason I didn’t give it Five Stars. Is there’s a road crossing about a mile and half into the hike. Personally I just don’t like having to cross a road when I’m hiking with my dog. Thankfully though it’s not a real busy road though!

Pretty cool trail, the first part from the trailhead to fish hatchery is pretty easy. The second part is slightly harder but not too bad. It ends with a small loop, nothing very scenic, so you won’t miss a lot of you only do part of the trail. I only met a few people on the trail. There are a few benches along the way.

great hike with nice mellow forest time. a little bit overgrown but not too bad. a little bit wet, it's in the rainforest so be aware

This trail was beautiful. It's not that difficult in terms of elevation changes but there are a lot of rocks and tree roots to navigate which I think makes it a moderate trail. The waterfall and creek are beautiful!! Plus I had a sasquatch sighting! The trail crosses a highway and runs through the fish hatchery which got confusing but once I figured out where the trail was, everything was great. There are also a lot of little trails to follow that break off the main trail which was fun!

This is a lovely trail in the woods, beside Gnat Creek. It is well maintained with some bridges, but also some rock crossings of small streams. I only saw one other person on the trail! The benches at the end of the loop provided a good place to sit and eat lunch while listening to and watching the water. Just a little confusing finding Upper Gnat Creek trail and SCARY crossing the highway!

Beautiful. Perfect for kids and trail running. Went to the falls and the hatchery and there was a lot we still could have seen. We did about 6 miles. Could make it much much longer. Someone said it’s like saddle mountain. Not even close. This trail is easy for someone that has a basic fitness level. My 6 year old did it easily. Clearly marked and gorgeous highly recommend!

Beautiful! Will be going back!

Well maintained trail. Lots of early skunk cabbage and trillium in bloom.

smooth trail, few roots, some elevation gain. nice hike

beautiful well marked trail of reforested trees with lots of mossy trees and ferns. Trail follows the water with the sound of babbling water as you hike the moderate trail with uprooted trees and rooty spots. we hiked the first mile and half until the highway crossing and then turned back due to time constraints.

I would recommend this trail to anybody who enjoys hiking. Four of us between 49 and 57 years old hiked it on March 9, 2019. We had two Fitbits and a phone app that all came up with about 8.8 miles. We started at the campground trail head and went up through the hatchery and all the way to the loop at the end. The creek is full of waterfalls and there’s many different tree species. The trail is up and down small inclines with maybe 2 or 3 that are a little linger but overall just easy, short up and down inclines. There’s a few muddy/rocky drainage crossings but they’re small and you can use the rocks to keep from getting in the mud. It was one of the best hikes we’ve done! Great hike, highly recommend!!

Overall gentle hike alongside a river. No great vistas or climactic moments but generally pleasant. Could be shortened by starting at the fish hatchery.

Beautiful sunny day for a hike. This one definitely made my legs hurt like Saddle Mt. The summit is a loop and very nice areas to sit and take in nature. It has 10 small streams you will cross and some spots are muddy. Not many people know about this one- but it’s definitely one I will return to.

I wouldn't say its intermediate but it sure is nice. short elevation gains and grewt views at least for the 1st mile up. we came last fall and my 3 year old got stung 50 feet in. 8 months later he was ready to hike again so we came back and conquered the memory.

This is a beautiful hike. There are actually 2 parts that combine to make up the 6.6 miles. We hiked the upper Gnat Creek trail, which when looped from the fish hatchery parking lot was 5 miles. This is not an "Easy" hike. I would suggest it is more "Moderate". There are several fairly steep, but short climbs and over all you gain quite a bit of elevation. The path is mostly clear and well maintained, but there are some slick spots that should not be considered "easy" to navigate either on their ascent or descent. We hiked about 1 week after some pretty heavy rainfall in late January. There were a few muddy spots, but not bad at all. I had expected it to be much worse. The hike is a beautiful, lush forest full of mosses, ferns and some old growth timbers. There are many views of the creek, which was running pretty full and fast. You get to enjoy the sounds of the water pretty much the entire hike. I definitely want to make this a seasonal hike and explore it as the seasons change. We hiked the 5 miles in about 2.5 hours, going at a slow but steady pace, with a short break at the top.

Fri Jan 04 2019

really nice hike though went on a hot summer day trying to escape Portland heat. didn't succeed but enjoyed the hike. called gnat Creek for a reason. lots of bugs! but really nice when you get up into the redwoods and have the nice Creek to cool off

Wed Jan 02 2019

Awesome for the whole family. 6 yr old granddaughter made it to the end and back as did this Nana! Beautiful scenery including Elk. Had a nice little snack and rest at the end to get us back to the hatchery. Wonderful day!

Fri Oct 05 2018

Well maintained, trails are clean and not sloppy muddy. Nice peaceful walk in the woods that takes only a morning or an afternoon.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Nice trail, good place to stop on your way to Astoria. Not crowded for a weekend, did the whole trail and there were only seven other hikers. There were a few red and blue huckleberries.

Mon May 28 2018

We completed this hike with 4 kids (two 9 yr olds, 7, and 6 yr old) and it was great! Not too much elevation gain, lots of beautiful scenery including the creek and waterfalls, and no mud! The fish hatchery was a great resting place and the kids loved being able to feed the fish. We would definitely do this hike again!