Learn more

Gnat Creek Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Astoria, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 984 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of June 2020, the trail is closed at the fish hatchery but it is open after the hatchery section. Please read through the review for more information and detours. This beautiful trail follows Gnat Creek and proceeds through of lush forest full of mosses, ferns, and old-growth trees.

Hiked on 6/14/20. Got to the trailhead a little after tent and were the only ones there. At the hatchery pass through the pavilion and take the trail behind the hatchery to the power lines were you can pick up the main trail again. Nice hike to work the dogs out. Muddy

Just recently moved here from the east coast so this was my first ride. I’m a newbie but managed what felt like a difficult ride. Some of the not so difficult parts were extremely enjoyable. I will be back. I saw someone who worked there and said the trail is still open past the hatchery. He directed me to go. Once I found my way I got a little lost and didn’t finish all. Either way still fun.

This trail is closed due to COVID-19 from the fish hatchery on. It is only open from the campground to the highway which is 2.6 miles out and back.

Trail is in great condition. Easy access through lot next to camp grounds.

6/9/20 (Tuesday) Can’t park at the hatchery since it’s closed due to COVID, but we parked across the street off Hwy 30 and walked up to the trailhead behind the picnic area. From there the hike was only about 5 miles roundtrip. Overall, beautiful lush trail that leads to a few benches and some viewpoints of the creek. Great canopy cover! It rained the whole hike but we hardly got wet. Lots of wildlife in this area since we saw fresh scat. Look out for orange belly newt on the trail!

I did this hike 5/29/20. There is still a covid closure sign after you cross the highway about 1.5 miles in. Hikers are still allowed through as long as you stay away from the hatchery. My garmin clicked 8.6 miles but we did some of the lower trails as well. Beautiful quiet hike but not the most exciting. Great option on a hot day when you want to avoid the masses at packed trailheads.

the hatchery is closed, but the trail is open, the hatchery manager let us pass through to the trail which continues on behind the hatchery

First time here. Nice trail, but it's closed about 100 yards after you cross the highway due to COVID 19. So I only was able to hike 1/3 of it.

Very scenic / mossy / green trail along the creek. We stopped to take a lot of pictures on the way up. Cool waterfalls to stop at along the way. Ending is a little anti-climatic at a trailhead crossroads.

Closer to 7,6 miles if you do the whole thing

Fun trail, pretty muddy but I was prepared for that. Didn’t do the whole trail but will come back again for a full run at it.

Some small muddy spots so waterproof shoes are helpful but it was a beautiful day and a great hike with lots of ups and downs.

beautiful trail. muddy.

So nice I've hiked it twice! Beautiful hike! Mostly wooded with beautiful openings to creek & waterfall views. Loved the trail more once I passed the fishery. That's when it gets really pretty. Its almost 8 miles if you park outside gnat creek campground at the trailhead, 7.74 miles round trip.

nice easy trail. does get muddy

Very interesting hike if you start at the campgrounds, after a little over a mile hike through gorgeous, mossy forest you come to a highway crossing then a short jaunt through a woodsy area. After this you cross a lawn between two houses and through the parking lot of the fish hatchery to continue to Upper Gnat Creek trail. Barrier Falls is close & then not too far from there will be a special forest find! There is a short loop at the end of the trail. About 6.5 miles total based on tracker. Saw some oyster mushrooms, a couple reishi, red belt conks & tons of lobsters! Took us about 2hrs with a 30 min lunch break. Next time need to find Gnat Creek Falls! Would rate 4.5☆s and more of an easy-moderate hike

Sooo many bees

Lovely water with volcanic rock. Lots of beautiful trees, forest and quiet.

Wed Jul 03 2019

I loved the variety of inclines throughout the hike. You’re basically hiking along the creek which sounded quite serene and surrounded by lush forest. A few spots where muddy but not bad. I’m a mushroom lover so I encountered a few trees with beautiful large artists conks (Ganoderma applanatum) that were growing on some Conifer trees which were an exciting sight to see. I would definitely go again and recommend the hike to all ages. The trails were well maintained. It takes an hour to the end of the trail.

Wed Jun 26 2019

Really great trail! I love that there’s a good diversity of uphill/downhill and straight aways. As well as some nice river spots for your furry friends to play in. Only reason I didn’t give it Five Stars. Is there’s a road crossing about a mile and half into the hike. Personally I just don’t like having to cross a road when I’m hiking with my dog. Thankfully though it’s not a real busy road though!

Sun Jun 23 2019

Pretty cool trail, the first part from the trailhead to fish hatchery is pretty easy. The second part is slightly harder but not too bad. It ends with a small loop, nothing very scenic, so you won’t miss a lot of you only do part of the trail. I only met a few people on the trail. There are a few benches along the way.

Fri Jun 14 2019

great hike with nice mellow forest time. a little bit overgrown but not too bad. a little bit wet, it's in the rainforest so be aware

Sat Jun 01 2019

This trail was beautiful. It's not that difficult in terms of elevation changes but there are a lot of rocks and tree roots to navigate which I think makes it a moderate trail. The waterfall and creek are beautiful!! Plus I had a sasquatch sighting! The trail crosses a highway and runs through the fish hatchery which got confusing but once I figured out where the trail was, everything was great. There are also a lot of little trails to follow that break off the main trail which was fun!

Sat Jun 01 2019

This is a lovely trail in the woods, beside Gnat Creek. It is well maintained with some bridges, but also some rock crossings of small streams. I only saw one other person on the trail! The benches at the end of the loop provided a good place to sit and eat lunch while listening to and watching the water. Just a little confusing finding Upper Gnat Creek trail and SCARY crossing the highway!

Tue May 28 2019

Beautiful. Perfect for kids and trail running. Went to the falls and the hatchery and there was a lot we still could have seen. We did about 6 miles. Could make it much much longer. Someone said it’s like saddle mountain. Not even close. This trail is easy for someone that has a basic fitness level. My 6 year old did it easily. Clearly marked and gorgeous highly recommend!

Thu May 02 2019

Beautiful! Will be going back!

Sat Mar 30 2019

Well maintained trail. Lots of early skunk cabbage and trillium in bloom.