Glade Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very outback and not much hikers around and a bit sketchy , I started from Government Camp to the Timberline Lodge, the trails were so rocky and an even pavement, a good ankle support is a must, lots of mosquitoes, there’s not much view except the Mt. Hood. A moderate to somewhat difficult hike.

I didn't find the scenery on this hike that great compared to the countless other nearby options that are breathtaking. I would rate this more like a moderate, NOT easy if you are doing the full Glade Trail including the extra part shown here (it may be easy when there's snow). It's pretty steep and there are parts that are very rocky and could be slippery. It appears the high ratings are during winter, I went in July.

The route shown is not correct, it shows more like how the crow flies, not the actual trail which had some windy sections. Also, the trailhead for Glade is down the street. This route has you walking on Skyline and then joining with Glade. Lastly, my Garmin tracked this at closer to 7.5 - 8 miles total.

I did like it to train for Hood to Coast. I hiked up to the top and ran down, there were areas I had to walk but I'm new to trail running. The steepness and distance is similar to leg 1 of the race IMO. That was the purpose of me coming here, so I would keep it as a training run or way to walk to Timberline from Government Camp, but not for scenery.

this is absolutely NOT an easy hike. I’m not sure what people are speaking of here... I regularly hike 10+ mountainous miles and this ~7.5 mile up then down hike that ends right at the legendary Timberline Lodge deserves a tag somewhere between moderate and difficult. 95% of the hike is a decent grade, but there are a few very steep sections on slippery rocks. Most of the hike had views of the Mt Hood peak above, and of Trillium Lake below.

Lots and lots of deer + elk sign, little predator sign in some bark scratching and trail marking scat. Not too much human impact.

overall GREAT experience. 4 stars instead of 5 because the top was extremely busy and it was a little “monotonous” if I’m being picky. I prefer some scenery change in a hike but this was as close to 5 stars as it gets!

Beautiful, easy/moderate

Great trail for our dogs! Easy walk.

Well graded trail. It’s nice and wide, good for groups/dogs. My GPS put us at almost 8mi round trip. It would be miserable without micro spikes/snowshoes. Near the top you have to frogger through the skiers and boarders. It’s compact so spikes are best at the top. I’d recommend getting a late start and heading down at 4 after the runs close. That way your return trip is peaceful and without the mountain traffic.

Monday, September 04, 2017

A calories burying way to go to dinner at Timberline Lodge from Government Camp. About 3.1 miles one way. Ride back in car suggested after dark. I have to disagree with the comment by Sara on July 2016. I would not call it very very steep. I would call it a moderate continuing grade. Give it about an hour and a half, one way if you're over 70.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

This trail is very very steep and rocky and will give you one heck of a workout. If you're willing to smell worse than you've ever smelled before, you'll be rewarded with unbelievable views from Mt. Hood, impressive bragging rights and you'll feel like you're on top of the world, even if you smell like you've been six feet under. I recommend boots with ankle support to help keep you from rolling your ankle on loose rocks. Speaking from experience here...my ankle wasn't the same for several weeks.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017