Garfield Peak Trail

Garfield Peak Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Crater Lake, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,069 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

This is the one of the most popular hiking trails in Crater Lake with close proximity to the Rim Village and Crater Lake Lodge. There are spectacular panoramic views of the entire lake and other high cascades features to the north and to the south the Klamath Basin and southern Cascade features. This short steep hike leaves the parking lot of Crater Lake Lodge and immediately heads uphill. Stick with it for a half mile or so and you will be rewarded with views of the lake - and they only get better as you climb! The trail leads eastward contouring the ridge above Crater Lake. The track turns northward one half mile from the trailhead and begins to climb. It ascends the northwestern ridge of Garfield Peak then turns eastward. Gaining the northern ridge crest the route continues to climb to the 8,060-foot summit. Views from this lofty peak south of Crater Lake include the lake, Phantom Ship and terrain south. There is a good path to the top, but, be prepared for a difficult climb along this trail.

A little slush and a straight incline up. Would not recommend for sunset on a cloudy day

Was a bit slick and icy from snow, but was a really enjoyable hike. I’d definitely recommend wearing boots with good traction! We didn’t find it too hard, and really enjoyed the view at the end.

Hiked in spite of snow showers and chilly weather. Nice views of the lake early were followed by snow clouds and constant snow and ice covering the final third of the trail to the top. Still loved the hike and enjoyed experiencing the winter like scenery and weather elements.

Super fun, mellow, somewhat steep climb to a nice peak. Snowy conditions had our views from the peak grayed out but my group and I still had a great time.

Beautiful views around the lake. Nice moderate hike. Went during the week and fairly busy trail but not bad. Great places to stop to take photos. Tried to stop at lodge but waited over 30 minutes and no one even acknowledged us. We went up to ask and were rudely told they would wait on us but no one ever did. Hike was great, service at lodge was not. Maybe they were just short staffed the day we were there.

great short hike with awesome views, do this one early

Great hike with beautiful views. I highly recommend.

Completed this trail within about 2 hours yesterday. The National Park rates this trail as strenuous. I agree with ATs rating of moderate. Slow and steady incline. May be strenuous if you're not used to the altitude. Get ready for stunning views of the lake.

One of my all time favorite hikes. Unbelievably beautiful. I was going to do Crater Peak until I found out there's no view of the lake.

Absolutely brilliant trail and best one if you’re planning on doing some moderate hike. Stunning views on the top and all along the way. Would definitely recommend it.

Beautiful view! Nice hike along the way

Awesome trail and scenic the entire way. We had a perfectly clear day. Also, at the end of the trail on the way back, the lodge has a gorgeous sitting area for grabbing a drink.

Loved this hike! You don't have to wait til the end for the payoff views, there are incredible views on both sides all the way up. It's worth doing even if you don't go all the way to the top! But I recommend going all the way up. I'm not a fast hiker and I made it to the top in about an hour.

Great moderate hike at Crater Lake. We hiked about half of this trail as we did several other little hikes during the day. Thee trail is on a steady incline the entire way but the views are spectacular. Light traffic the day we hiked which was much different than some other CL trails.

Great moderate hike overlooking Crater Lake

Great short hike! Amazing view from the top!

Busy. Toughest one of Crater Lake with the view. My 3 year old was able to walk half of it so not that difficult.

Nice little hike but a bit too short and busy for us. We started a couple miles out on rim trail to turn it into a 10 miler.

Short, sweet hike with great views of the lake and surrounding area throughout the trail. Really glad we did this hike!

Nice trail with good views along the way.

nice views fairly steep.

Awesome trail with a lot of views for how short it is, and quick satisfaction for those who want a great picture. Pretty busy but still had some time to myself, with sections alternation between steeper switchbacks and rolling incline. A great trail to warm up on!

Awesome hike. Short but strenuous. Awesome view of the lake throughout the entire hike

No better view of Crate Lake and surrounding mountains. So beautiful. Rocky but easy to navigate due to switchbacks and it being a well used trail. High elevation makes climb more strenuous than it would otherwise be. We are in good shape and went up in 44 min walking w photo stops. Ran down without stops in 17 min. Between 1030 am and 1200 pm. Great weather. Not to hot. Highly recommend.

Beautiful views and very easy

Didn’t do complete trail but portion we did was excellent! Great views!