Fuji Shelter Trail

Fuji Shelter Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crescent, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,377 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Snowshoed and snow-camped weekend of March 15th. Did not see another sole.Friday we broke trail to Fuji Shelter, tough but rewarding. The 16th we did a day hike 3 miles out and back meandering through deep snow trails by snow covered lakes. We wrapped up the day by hiking down the trail back to our car 4.5 miles. It was way easier on the way back as we followed our previous tracks that we had to cut the day before. I was so surprised that no one else came up on this beautiful weekend.

Elizabeth and I were the only people on the trail who hiked up to and camped at Fuji Shelter area. It was a challenging hike. We had to break trail the whole way and with 30lb packs that was quite a fun and challenging trek. We did not stay in the shelter we set up tents to try our gear in the snow. We did use the shelter for an evening fire in the lovely stove. The fire and the smell of food did draw out a sizable rat. Had amazing sunsets and sunrise with a mountain view.

Snowshoed on 2/17. 12+ inches new snow fell the evening before. We did not break trail but this is a very long monotonous trek up 4 miles to the shelter. Light Snow fell most of the way and although there were no epic views, the quiet, serene beauty of snow covered forest was nothing short of amazing. I would probably rate this 5 stars if it was a clear sunny day and also was quite fatigued as we had just hiked and broke trail on Diamond/Salt Creek Falls before we took on this bad boy. The shelter is rustic, quaint and we were pleasantly surprised that a fire was going (nice couple staying the night) and we were invited to cozy up to that. Need a snopark permit, bathroom at TH, got lucky- snow plows came right at 10am and plowed the road off 58 into the parking area. No way could we have driven down there even with chains.

Awesome snow shoeing experience! Quite difficult for a beginner to get to Fuji Shelter but definitely worth it and doable. The incline isn't too bad as it is stretched out. Bring a tarp to block the shelter opening if you plan on coming up on a windy day. Keeps the snow out and the shelter warm. There is a wood burning stove in the shelter. Sleeps 4 on top and you can get creative and sleep another 3-4 on the ground level. We even used the table top bench as a place to sleep.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Great easy snow hike with a shelter you can enjoy for camping. Shelter fits 4 so bringing a tent can be needed. Trail is easy even in winter, all on a forest road. I did a video here so you can see what it looks like recently. My only complaint is that people used the bathroom way too close to the shelter this year. My dog dug up some presents haha. https://youtu.be/ALcdW6wa5zU

Friday, May 29, 2015

I did the short 3 mile trail. There was still some snow but not so much we couldn't easily find the trail. Mosquitos are out already but we're ok if you kept moving. View was amazing!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Get a good forest road map...I missed the hike by prob 1/2 a mile the first time there. When I went back I was happy I did. Hike was relatively easy and short and uncrowded. Was a clear day and the views amazing!!! Could see Mt Hood all the way down to Mt Thielsen. Practically could reach out and touch Diamon Peak and great views of Waldo Lake and other lakes and such. Wonderful place to just sit in awe of what beauty we have here!

Saturday, July 13, 2013

I completed the shorter version consisting of three miles round trip. The trail was moderate to easy with a gentle grade. The primary views were of Waldo lake, The Three Sisters and great shot of Diamond Peak. Lots of exploring to be done in this area. Bring a map. It is east to get confused finding the trailhead on road 5883 due to the roads being poorly marked if marked at all.

Sunday, April 09, 2017