Fort to Sea Trail

Fort to Sea Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Warrenton, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 534 feet Route Type: Point to Point

beach

Well maintained trail! Beautiful and diverse scenery as well as a couple chances to use the bathroom throughout. It felt like a pilgrimage! 4 stars because a portion was next to the highway.

Great trail with chance to experience several ecosystems. Well maintained and marked for the first 3-4 miles (east to west); fewer markings after crossing 101 but still easy to keep the trail. Completed trail on 12/30. Signs at Ft Clatsop indicated “Trail Closed,” in the wake of a big storm on 12/19-12/20. We chose to proceed and encountered only one small tree down across the trail which was easy to cross. Not much to see from the overlook due to dense fog. We had one bovine close encounter in the open field west of 101. Luckily she was just curious. Overall very fun hike!

Great trail. Did a lollipop loop with the Kwis Kwis Trail. Some of the bridges can be very slick when wet.

Did the Kwis Kwis loop to the overlook. Well maintained, crushed gravel the whole way. Not a whole lot of elevation change, a nice quick hike.

recorded Recording - Oct 14, 06:12 PM

Great trail, although we stopped short of the ocean. Two bridges, and a nice wide trail.

So well marked and managed! We were very impressed. This trail offered dense forest, lush meadows and beautiful vistas! We highly recommend it! Actually turned back just before the end to make it back to Fort Clatsop before it closed! But still did the 10+ mile journey round trip.

Great trail! You go from forest to prairie to beach grasses. We had several kids and the youngest was 4. All did great.

We hiked from the Fort to the Sea today with 8 kids ages 9 months to 9 years and it was amazing. All the kids loved it. The path was very well kept and a nice hike. I read through reviews before going and was a little worried about what to expect but it wasn’t bad at all. We are planning on hiking it again before summer is over.

IG: chateauduphenix

This was an amazing experience! So many cool things to see along the trail. Speaking of trail, they do a beautiful job with the maintenance. Only critique, so many cigarette butts and trash when you get closer to the beach. I did my best to clean them up, but I’ll need some help from fellow hikers! Enjoy!

private property

My husband and I really enjoyed this hike. it's a long one but only steep in one small part. You get a good view of Oregon Forest and farm lands which I enjoyed.

Awesome hike on a sunny day. Lots of varied terrain throughout entire trail. Very well-maintained and dog friendly. You even get to get up close to the cows when you pass through the pasture.

Mon Dec 31 2018

This hike was perfect for a Sunday morning! There was part of the hike that went through a pasture, but follow the path and you should be fine.

Thu Dec 27 2018

Absolutely LOVE this hike! It is an all day hike through farmland into rainforest and through some pretty intense inclines. Plan on a 12.4 mile round trip unless you plant a car at the fort side and start at the sea side of the trail. There is no shuttle service back and forth as the inter webs would have you believe from researching afar. Great hike! The wild raspberries along the way were an added bonus!

Sun Nov 11 2018

The trail was great and well kept up. I walk with a cane, so it was pretty simple. (We didn't make it the whole way) However, we went back by the way of the "Clay Pits" it was very steep, lots of tree roots, and stairs (made for a giant) it would have been nice if the trail would have been marked.

Sun Oct 07 2018

We did this in reverse and returned to the beach trail head. A very nice day out which included cycling from Fort Stevens Camp ground. The hike is easy and through beautiful forest. Some steeper inclines with switchbacks but ok. The condition of the trail is great- new bridges and decking in places. We lunched at the Visitor Centre and fort before returning. Good wifi at the VC. Highly recommend the hike and take in the VC and short film on Lewis and Clark.

Thu May 24 2018

I will have to agree with others on this trail. I really love the wooded part of the Ft. Clatsop trail network, but the section from the highway to Sunset beach is in need of real attention. There has been extensive trail maintenance from the Fort down to the highway, but the three mile stretch to Sunset Breach has not seen any maintenance on a long while. It is overgrown in many areas and the long grass hides very uneven terrain. I also had a close encounter of the animal kind as there was a good sized bull camped out between two of the turnstiles. On the out bound trip I jumped a couple of fences to avoid the big guy, but on the way back I figured I could slip by him. He spooked as a walked in front of him and moved into my path. I was able to quickly step past him, but it really gave me the willies. This trail would be much better if something was done to allow for safer walking through the cattle pastures. It seems to me that there is plenty of land there and the cattle could be kept in areas that did not place them in the direct path of foot traffic through the area. I really enjoyed the eleven mile hike and recommend it, but give the cautionary reminder that you are hiking through active cattle grazing land and need to be careful.

Fri Mar 23 2018

I’m a trail runner from the Pacific Northwest, so I have seen just about every environment Oregon has to offer. If you start out at Fort Clatsop (respect to my brother Comcomly), you will see fairly typical, newish, temperate rain forest. Although, there is no old growth here, it appears there is an effort to return it to its former self. I was a bit disappointed in the double track trail which gave me the feeling I would run into motorcycles or four-wheelers, but after gaining an easy incline run to the Clatsop Ridge Viewpoint, I moved beyond this “old” road to familiar switchbacks of many trails I’ve been on since a child. Though, because of the gravel, this trail between Hwy. 101 and Clatsop Ridge Viewpoint reminded of Forest Park in Portland. So, if you want an easy traverse, without mud and slipping, hike to 101 and return back. If you want to go beyond 101, I have some criticisms. The trail disappears and you find yourself between fences, for a couple of miles, between cow pastures and vacation homes. Some of the fields between the homes and farms looked decimated. I was sorely disappointed and if they intend to “share” space, some effort needs to be put into this stretch from 101 to the sea. If you have a fear of larger domestic animals, such as cows, you may want to skip this stretch, as at times, when you travel between properties, you must maneuver through animal gates that put you in the same field as the cows. To be honest, if I were you, I would see the ocean on a different day and hike the forest part of this trail separately If you want to do this trail, hike the fort to sea trail all the way down near 101, turn around and take the alternative route called Kwis Kwis trail back. You will have more options, more forest, and a nice hike.

Sun Mar 18 2018

This trail has it all. Open range, forest canopy and a nice incline to the overlook. Easy in relation to safe, more moderate as it relates distance and exercise. If you are with less experienced hikers, you can go for a short, flat hike or if experienced do it all. Lots of cool things to see.

Tue Jan 16 2018

fun trail lots to see.

Sat Jan 13 2018

what a fantastic walk through history. This is a great trail for all ability levels and the possibility of seeing wildlife is very high.

Fri Dec 01 2017

nice path, we got a little lost in the fields but figured it out. Great way to see the forest and the beach

Sat Aug 05 2017

Difficult enough to challenge this out of shape hiker, but not too difficult to be enjoyable. Beautiful, well maintained trail!

Sat Jul 29 2017

very groomed trail. easy walk.

Sat Jul 29 2017

nice trail for any skill level. the part where you go through peoples property is a little odd, but really is a very nice hike. Be sure to bring bugspray!

Fri Jul 07 2017

Great trail! We are from Pittsburgh and stopped here for a run. We read the reviews and started at the beach parking area that was recommended. Restrooms and free parking. Fantastic trail! Pretty fields that give way to gorgeous trees. We made a wrong turn into the cow field following the farmers road through the field. Super easy fix by going back to the path and just not going into the field but across the entrance instead. Perfect trails to run on. We didn't get to the hill, but did an out in back 6 miler. When we visit the west coast again, this will be on our list to make sure to run!

Fri Jun 30 2017

Great day hike. If you do this as a one-way hike, leaving a second car at Sunset Beach and starting at Fort Clatsop, then this is a moderately easy route with only a bit of elevation gain. What we love most about this one is how many different types of habitat we pass through in just a couple of hours: mature douglas fir forest, wetlands, forested sand dunes in between narrow lakes, more wetlands, and finally the beach. Keep an eye out for elk. Fair warning, in the spring, the last 1/2mi of trail to the beach has a low spot in the last wetland, and a hundred feet of trail might be under a couple of feet of water. Your first option is to be adventurous, remove your shoes, and wade through the (very) cold water to get to the other side. This part is spanned by a boardwalk and footbridge, so you're actually still on the bridge in between the railings, in knee-deep water. You can tell how deep the water is by how high it comes up on the handrail. This is where your second option comes in: if it is too cold or looks too deep (like if the handrail is under water!), then turn around, go back the 1/2 mile to the parking lot, and hit the beach via the road access.

Mon Apr 03 2017

I walk these trails nearly every day, for our little community they are simply perfect and breathtaking

Sat Jan 28 2017

Perfect fun, easy day hike!

Mon Oct 03 2016

Great out and back trail. My Suunto read a total elevation gain of 1,500 miles. Lucked out and only saw one other person on the entire trail during the entire run.