Flag Mountain Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Sandy: Follow Hwy. 26 east to Rd. 2632. Take 32 south one mile, to a fork. Stay to the right on Rd. 2632-160 and look for the trail sign about 1/2 mile on the right.

We hike the west, steep, part of this trail with our 3 elderly dogs most days when we’re in our cabin. Our mood and level of fatigue determines how far we continue after the first turn around. The directions given appear to be for the lesser used east end of the trail and to that extent are incorrect. Road 32xx has been decommissioned at the fork. Further, as of a few weeks ago, the bridge has been decommissioned so much of the access is necessarily on foot, extending the effective trail length by about one mile.

Alternatively, park in the Camp Creek Camp Ground, cross the footbridge at the west end and ascend a few hundred yards on Still Creek Trail to its junction with Road 32, turn right, and continue to the Flag Mountain Trailhead, approximately 3/4 mile.

Most hikers (as evidenced by the other reviews and by observation) access Flag Mountain Trail from the western trailhead, where the oft-mentioned steepest half mile is found. Turn west onto Road 20 off Hwy 26, continue approximately 1 mile to Road 20E on the left. The trailhead is about 40 yards in, with parking for several cars. (If no space is available, there are multiple turnouts on Road 20 that can be used.)

strenuous hike through some nice forest. Steep enough that I'd categorize it has a "hard" trail. Your leg workout for the day for sure. Have good traction shoes.

I’d rate this trail difficult rather than moderate. It’s very steep in the first section and you continue to ascend, though more gently, to the top. Having said that, it’s beautiful, as all the trails are in this area. Just be prepared to huff and puff and bring your trekking poles!

The first half a mile is where you get all your elevation. I would consider this a hard but short hike. Our dogs loved it! Definitely cloudy when we went, but we will be back on a sunny day just for Mt. Hood.

I took my dog last week. It put into perspective how out of shape I am. lol

Nice and steep out of the gate. Good quick hike. Our dogs loved it too.

Monday, September 25, 2017

It's a short, steep hike to the summit and the view at the top is breathtaking. When it's clear you can see the top of Mt Hood - it was a little cloudy when we went but the expanse of evergreen was totally worth the huffing and puffing.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Definitely would do it again to sit on the ridge line with the view of the top of Mt. Hood. Steep and hard at first but what a sense of accomplishment when you finish! Nice short, tough hike for the morning where you still have time for lunch with friends when you are done !!!

Monday, July 10, 2017

This is a good hike just to get out quickly and get a pretty good workout. As others have said, there are really only 2 views of Mt. Hood. It is pretty steep in the beginning with switchbacks. I would NOT mountain bike this trail even though I love to climb on my mtn bike. You will be pushing your bike most of the way. There was not a single trace of any mountain biker there. I went from the west parking lot to the east parking lot and next time will turn around once I hit the road heading toward the east parking lot and never saw a single person!

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

5-9-17: Starting at the west parking lot, the initial ascent is a little rough, once you reach the ridge it it pretty easy with only a few descent/ascent along the way. About halfway to the "end" there is a good view of mt hood. This is really the only good photo op in my opinion and if that's what you were going for you can turn around here because there is nothing but trees the rest of the way. Took me about two hours with resting and taking photos. No snow but I do recommend bringing a hiking stick as the trail can be very steep. I did not see any other hikers. If you go later In the season I would recommend picking a different trail because this one didn't reap many rewarding views for the difficulty.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

There is one nice lookout point but after that not much to see for the next mile except some trees. Consistent ascending/descending throughout the whole trail out and back. Would rate it more as difficult not moderate. Not sure I would recommend.....would think there are better trails around, especially in the summer season.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

The first mile or so is pretty steep, but worth the effort for someone in decent shape. Initially, there's a fantastic view of Hunchback Mountain to the west. There's a bench at the top of this viewpoint for those who like to take their time. After those first couple hundred yards, it's about a mile to the view of Mt. Hood, and another 0.75 or so to the end of the trail. There's some descent along those 2 miles, so it's a workout both ways. About 2hrs round trip, including pictures. I combined this with the Castle Canyon trail just a few minutes away on the other side of Rte. 26...it was a fun way to spend 4 hours. Cloudy, a little drizzle, but undeniably gorgeous!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Great for a quick workout if you just need some time in nature and live in Portland. There was no one else on the trail which was nice and I was able to let me dog run off leash. GPS took me to the wrong place. Not sure how long the hike was, I turned around at mile 1.5 (did a total of 3 miles). The views are just "ok". I dont use trekking poles, but I would have for this hike to help with the descent. The best part of this hike is that it is close to Portland and no ones is usually around. Stop by Skyway after for lunch :)

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Very difficult for older climbers. 500 foot assent in the first half mile.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

I ran this trail. It is obscenely steep. However if mountain biking, it is relatively free of obstacles requiring one to dismount. I'm not sure if 3.2 out and back means 1.6 each way or 3.2 each way. There is a view that frames Mt Hood at what feels like 1.5miles and makes a natural turn around.. I continued on. The trail becomes less maintained beyond that but still passable.
The trail follows the spine of a mountain in fairly dense forest with periodic views.

recorded Flag Mountain Trail