Flag Mountain Trail

Flag Mountain Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Sandy: Follow Hwy. 26 east to Rd. 2632. Take 32 south one mile, to a fork. Stay to the right on Rd. 2632-160 and look for the trail sign about 1/2 mile on the right.

5-9-17: Starting at the west parking lot, the initial ascent is a little rough, once you reach the ridge it it pretty easy with only a few descent/ascent along the way. About halfway to the "end" there is a good view of mt hood. This is really the only good photo op in my opinion and if that's what you were going for you can turn around here because there is nothing but trees the rest of the way. Took me about two hours with resting and taking photos. No snow but I do recommend bringing a hiking stick as the trail can be very steep. I did not see any other hikers. If you go later In the season I would recommend picking a different trail because this one didn't reap many rewarding views for the difficulty.

There is one nice lookout point but after that not much to see for the next mile except some trees. Consistent ascending/descending throughout the whole trail out and back. Would rate it more as difficult not moderate. Not sure I would recommend.....would think there are better trails around, especially in the summer season.

The first mile or so is pretty steep, but worth the effort for someone in decent shape. Initially, there's a fantastic view of Hunchback Mountain to the west. There's a bench at the top of this viewpoint for those who like to take their time. After those first couple hundred yards, it's about a mile to the view of Mt. Hood, and another 0.75 or so to the end of the trail. There's some descent along those 2 miles, so it's a workout both ways. About 2hrs round trip, including pictures. I combined this with the Castle Canyon trail just a few minutes away on the other side of Rte. 26...it was a fun way to spend 4 hours. Cloudy, a little drizzle, but undeniably gorgeous!

Great for a quick workout if you just need some time in nature and live in Portland. There was no one else on the trail which was nice and I was able to let me dog run off leash. GPS took me to the wrong place. Not sure how long the hike was, I turned around at mile 1.5 (did a total of 3 miles). The views are just "ok". I dont use trekking poles, but I would have for this hike to help with the descent. The best part of this hike is that it is close to Portland and no ones is usually around. Stop by Skyway after for lunch :)

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Very difficult for older climbers. 500 foot assent in the first half mile.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

I ran this trail. It is obscenely steep. However if mountain biking, it is relatively free of obstacles requiring one to dismount. I'm not sure if 3.2 out and back means 1.6 each way or 3.2 each way. There is a view that frames Mt Hood at what feels like 1.5miles and makes a natural turn around.. I continued on. The trail becomes less maintained beyond that but still passable.
The trail follows the spine of a mountain in fairly dense forest with periodic views.