Elk Rock Island

Elk Rock Island is a 0.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Milwaukie, Oregon that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, birding, fishing, and canoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

Great short hike spot if you want to stay close to the city. Visited in the Spring and also early June. My 2 yr old enjoyed crossing over the rocks while holding my hand...would be more difficult with younger children to cross unless you carry them. Not stroller friendly. Wear rain boots or water shoes if you want to trudge through or use your balancing skills to rock hop/step to the island. I imagine the water level will be too high to get to the island during the fall/winter. Once on island the hiking is easy. I never found the “loop”. Trail seemed to end halfway around when it became too rocky. Could’ve hike through brush at that point, but that part of trail was not defined. Lots of duck and geese poop so it was hard to find a good spot to lay our picnic blanket, but we managed. Great views though and worth it and 5 stars from me because I live close by and love to have this in my part of town!!

Elk Rock island was just a short trip. It was beautifully specked with daisies and other flowers When we went, there was several people fishing. It's kind of in the middle of the burbs though, as in you get a view of some fancy houses when you go. otherwise, there is a short trail leading to a cool tree.

Don’t come when it’s flooded! (5/20/18) you can’t get to the island and it’s hard i navigate, unless you’re planning on treating through murky water then have at it!

I rarely get disappointed or let down from hiking. About the only event that can cause noticeable dissatisfaction is when I get injured or plagued by mosquitoes. Spring Park is cool I guess, but the real reason I came here was to walk out to Elk Rock Island. Even though it's called an island, Google Maps shows that you can jump on rocks and make it there without getting your feet wet. Uh, nope! Not right now anyway. There was a sizeable channel of fairly deep water separating me from the island. No way to get there without a boat or getting soaked from head to toe! I'll have to visit again when the Willamette isn't so high.

It was windy today. The kids were able to cross to the island fairly easily. Fun to see the ducks and geese.

Despite the occasional broken glass on the beach, this is a beautiful spot. Go in the morning when the birds are out! We saw at least seven osprey!

Saturday, February 25, 2017