Elk Rock Island

Elk Rock Island is a 0.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Milwaukie, Oregon that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, birding, fishing, and canoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

I rarely get disappointed or let down from hiking. About the only event that can cause noticeable dissatisfaction is when I get injured or plagued by mosquitoes. Spring Park is cool I guess, but the real reason I came here was to walk out to Elk Rock Island. Even though it's called an island, Google Maps shows that you can jump on rocks and make it there without getting your feet wet. Uh, nope! Not right now anyway. There was a sizeable channel of fairly deep water separating me from the island. No way to get there without a boat or getting soaked from head to toe! I'll have to visit again when the Willamette isn't so high.

It was windy today. The kids were able to cross to the island fairly easily. Fun to see the ducks and geese.

Despite the occasional broken glass on the beach, this is a beautiful spot. Go in the morning when the birds are out! We saw at least seven osprey!

Saturday, February 25, 2017