Elk Mountain Loop Trail

Elk Mountain Loop Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tillamook, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of my favorite hikes. The view from above the clouds is incredible. I like to hit the trail early in the morning. It is very quiet and peaceful. For beginners this can be a tough trail, hard on the legs and feet. I live nearby and have made this hike many times. I prefer the long way to the summit and then I turn around and make it an out and back.

Temperature when my wife and I started the ascent of the steep trail (1.4m) was 61F, in the way back, 84F (10am-pm), not a good time of the year to do this hike. My wife abandoned after a 3rd of the trail. I kept climbing with my dog (very bad idea). Beautiful sights, but not quiet as Saddle Mountain (astonishing views). Very difficult hiking down. They should set up a slide! Maybe my expectations were too high.

Great hike up and well worth the effort! Coming down is extremely steep so I wouldn't suggest bringing the pup for a loop hike. Going in and out will be long, but better on the knees. Anyway, can't wait to don't again!

Holy cow, this is a butt-kicker! The ascent up Elk Mountain is incredibly steep, and the 1.4 miles up took us a little over an hour to complete. Once you're up, the views are breathtaking, and from there on out the trail is pretty easy down the Eagle Creek Trail back to the campground. Definitely bring more water than you think you'd need for the 8 mile loop, as both my dog and I were quite parched by the time we got back to the car.

awesome trail! Now one of my favorites.

I did the elk mountain summit trail. Beyond beautiful views, but be prepared to work for them. It is an uphill climb the whole way with barely any breaks of downhill or leveled out ground. My boyfriend and I were incredibly sore the next few days following the hike. We only encountered one other couple on the way up and down the mountain.

Great trail for mountain biking

Amazing views from the summit

A steep slippery climb to the summit, but great views once you're there. The two miles after feel long, it's a drop right away, but then a lot of variation in elevation before you finally hit the Elk Creek split, so save your energy. It's a beautiful chunk of forest though, mist, clouds, salal berries, moss and not crowded at all. I thought people might be exaggerating but it is a tough one. Bring plenty of snacks and water and enjoy!