Eightmile Loop Trail

Eightmile Loop Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near The Dalles, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Sandy: Travel east on Hwy. 26 to Jct. Hwy. 35. Take Hwy. 35 north approx. 10 miles to Forest Service Road 44. Turn right onto Rd. 44 then left onto Rd. 4430 to Eight mile Campground. This trail, constructed in 1996, originates out of the picnic area.

Great hike! We chose the easier way to the left. We logged 8.7 miles with this app. It took us right around 3 hours. The only off trail spur we went on was the one to lookout tower. That couldn’t have been more that a half mile. Next time we will try the more difficult way to the right. So beautiful!

Easy to follow trail. There was one point my group almost got sidetracked but we then found the signs and were on our way. Nicely maintained and easy. Good for beginners and cyclists.

Beautiful views in all directions as you get to the top of this trail. Tons of wild flowers in season. The forest is open with lots of light. It’s my favorite type of forest to run through. At the top of Five Mile Butte you can glimpse Mt. Adams from the fire lookout. You can also connect this with Knebel Springs trail for a longer, more challenging run/hike.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Nice, well-maintained trail, could have had better views for the distance. We didn't pay the $5 to park at the campground - there's a few areas where you can park on the side of the road. Would definitely recommend taking the short trail to the lookout tower. Be careful of mountain bikers, there were a lot and they can come up on you quickly.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

For some reason this is one of my favorite trails in the area, I'm surprised others don't seem to share a similar opinion. On weekends it can get a little crowded at times and is a bit narrow in places and you will likely have to move to the side a time or two for mountain bikers. I tend to frequent this trail on weekdays though and have often been the only one on it which is typically when I enjoy it the most. For myself at least it's the perfect length and intensity for a decent little day hike. If you park at the main trailhead at 8 mile campground there is a 5 dollar fee but there are a couple other places you can park. You get a view of mount Adams from one section as well as spectacular distant scenery. I have often had close encounters with deer and other wildlife. This trail hosts an exceptional mixture of sites and surroundings ranging from dense wooded areas that seem to consume you to sparsely forested and open areas with great views as well as creeks, low and high ground. I encourage everyone to give this trail a shot.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

it would have been a nice trail, but it has not been maintained recently, leaving us to climb over/under/ around fallen trees and debris along the trail.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

walked this trail with mixed feelings. Narrow trail. mostly singal file. encountered many mountain bikes. not many places for either to move aside to let pass or to rest. nice trail tho. steep elevation climb at either end of loop. east end if going up is steap climb with switchbacks. west end is easier for going up.

Thursday, July 21, 2016