Learn more

E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Monmouth, Oregon that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 32 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

(JUST A WARNING SO PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS AND KEEP SMALL CHILDREN CLOSE) We hiked to the pond last Saturday 6/27/20 the anglers parking was full and lots of families with very young children were fishing all around the pond. We headed back to the parking around 7:45pm and the pond was still very crowded with at least 20 cars in the parking lot. we got to the T of the trail where you turn right to the parking lot and about 15 feet on the other side right before you make a right turn to the path of the parking lot was a large adult cougar just sitting in the middle of the trail looking right at us. It was not afraid nor did it get up and run away. My gf panicked and wanted to turn around and run back to the pond but I told her to stay calm and not to turn her back as it can trigger an attack so we slowly kept walking and the cougar stood up and actually started walking right toward us. It did not seem intimidated or scared of us. It walked about 6 feet straight down the middle of the trail right toward us before slowly turning and walking north into the field and brush and in the direction of the pond. FYI: I IMMEDIATELY CONTACTED THE E.E. Wilson Wiildlife refuge/O.D.W but got a recording so I contacted the police since that area was highly populated and many children running around playing.

a great place for walking all day without going anywhere. we will be back. I dont rexommendbtryi,g to walk the route outlined here though. many dead ends and in brudged waters.

bridge out

My two children (5 and 7) and I went on a rain adventure here today! It was around 43-45 degrees, with bouts of cold wind, sun, and sharp rain. We tried to follow the path offered here, but one of the old road bridges was gone. By then we'd walked over a mile and a half and the boys were wanting to be done. Instead of trying to find an alternate route, we went back the way we came. Most of the way was paved, graveled, or concrete, but there was one section around the North side of one of the ponds that was muddy. We had a great time over all! The boys were so proud when we were done! We saw small birds and heard frogs today.

Tue Jun 12 2018

Nice walk

Fri Jun 08 2018

If you like flat and uncrowded with a variety of habitats this is a great place for a leisurely stroll. We hiked several of the roads and mowed trails and stopped often to look at birds and the multitude of flowering plants and shrubs. Crossed paths with a pair of dog walkers (dog was on leash) and one family and one man fishing in the stocked lake. The rest of the walk was ours alone!

Mon Apr 02 2018

Yuck. Dead, old broken county roads of old govt facility gone to vines. Remains of buildings & broken fences, bad water signs...hardly any wildlife. Some families trying to fish in stocked pond, garbage dump nearby. ...yuck

Sun Apr 30 2017

nice walk ! We waked the whole area. Ended up doing 9 miles total. I think we hit every road there lol.

Mon Feb 08 2016

I spent a few hours at the EE Wilson Wildlife to get back slowly in shape after a couple weeks down with a seasonal bug. The long stretches of flat, straight and wide "trails" was a good way to get back in the saddle. While this will not make it to my top 10 (or even top 50) list of favorite hiking spots, it has a few things that may be of interest to visitors, such as the history of Camp Adair, the OSU research areas and, of course, fishing and hunting/shooting spots. Note: the North-South "avenues" are mostly paved and free of debris/mud. the East-West "streets" are a bit more rural and reclaimed by nature. I may if fact go back to the EE Wilson Wildlife area for a leisurely bike ride on the paved, long, wide and vehicle-free stretches of "streets" that use to serve the barracks of the camp.

Thu Jun 06 2013

This is a nice easy hike using abandoned roadways, improved trails, raises wooden walkways and foot bridges. It has several water features including a small lake, a larger swampy area,

recorded E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area