Ecola State Park to Indian Beach Trail [CLOSED]

Ecola State Park to Indian Beach Trail [CLOSED] is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cannon Beach, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 580 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

partially paved

closed

Note: As of December 2019, this trail is still closed due to erosion.

closed

So sad the trail is closed! Nice viewpoint right at parking lot though.

Hiked Indian Beach area only, but enjoyed the surreal beauty of the islets and outcrops in the sand. Watching surfers added to our enjoyment.

A great view and hike on other trails in this area that also lead down to the beach/waterfront. Cool to see even on a cloudy day!

closed

Trail was closed so I went down to the beach and climbed the rocks at low tide. Lots of neat trails around and some others were out doing the same. I have a question. Walking down to Indian Beach at the bottom of the steps, there are shrubs that cover the path. What are those? The smell was fragrant and I think it was the shrubs. scarpozzi@gmail if you know what those are. Thanks.

closed

Trail was still closed - hazardous conditions cited. We were able to hike maybe 0.5-0.75 mi before trail path was completely ruined and had to turn back. Lots of trees down, possible mudslide. We got some great coastal views in the section we were able to hike!

when I went loved it and a must do again w littles and dog :) sad to hear its closed :(

closed

Trail closed. Requires about 1/2 mile of scrambling through a washed out section. Trees down, mudslides. Be careful. Took a few minutes to pick up the trail on the other side. But a fun adventure...

closed

Parking lot seemed so busy yet only bumped into two other groups of people on the trail. There was a sign saying it was closed due to hazardous conditions (the mud toward the end of the trail and the washed out climb down the the actual beach). Other than the bit of mud at the end it was a nice trail through the trees and then right along the ridge of the coast. Getting down the beach itself was the hard part. It looked impossible but we went for it and it was so worth it! There’s a rope tied to a tree that we used to get back up to the trail. Fun adventure for a short excursion to the beach.

Trail closed. Loved the beach

Sat Nov 17 2018

Great trail with moderate up and down. Full trail closed but there is a way through if careful.

Wed Oct 10 2018

Great hike but still closed. Once you pass the sign you can go down the washed out trail to the beach. It is very muddy but a good adventure. Still great views on the open part as well.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Stunning hike, with breathtaking views. It started out sunny but then I got to watch a storm roll in, which was beautiful. I did it back in 2015, very sad to hear it is closed.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Spectacular views. Great Family hike.

Fri Jul 13 2018

Wed Jul 11 2018

Pretty tolerable until you get to the end.. that's when the "moderate" kicks in. Even then, we did it with kiddos & dogs! Every drop of sweat was very much worth it for the scenery and the beach access at the end!

Thu Jun 07 2018

A Wednesday afternoon during the summer was a little crowded, but if you can break away and find the renegade trail the beach will not disappoint!

Wed May 30 2018

Trail closures force OCT hikers onto the access road from Ecola point TH to Indian Beach day use area. . There is water in the creek on trail to hiker/biker camp 1/10!mile north of Indian Beach.. There are several Adirondack style shelters and a vault toilet at the hiker/biker camp, NO WATER. There were some rodents visible when I shone my light into the shelters at night when I arrived so I opted for a tent site nearby. Nice secluded h/b camp

Mon May 07 2018

The first part of the trail has large fallen trees and the trail is CLOSED! We ended up walking towards the beach and climbing down. We walked on the beach to Indian beach and connected to the trail there. I wouldn’t recommend it for beginner hikers!!! You are better off to start at Indian beach. The trail was nice and dry though.

Mon May 07 2018