East Applegate Ridge Trail (EART)

East Applegate Ridge Trail (EART) is a 5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Jacksonville, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 357 feet Route Type: Point to Point

The trailhead at eastern end of the E ART is located off Sterling Creek Road at the end of the short (6/10-mile), BLM road 38-2-29.1. Coming from Jacksonville, take Hwy 238 for 2.6 miles to Cady Road which is at the top of the Jacksonville Hill. Take a left onto Cady Road, go ½ mile and turn right onto Sterling Creek Road. On Sterling Creek Road turn right about 125 yards past the 4-mile marker and proceed to the trailhead. The access road is rough but passable for most vehicles. If coming from Ruch, take Hwy 238 towards Jacksonville and in approximately 5.5 miles, (at the top of Jacksonville Hill), turn right onto Cady Road. Follow the directions as noted above.

Only hiked about two miles in to the bench. Took my 7 year old and the pup! Very easy hike with all around amazing views. Some snow on trail from last weeks snow storm. Seemed to be melting pretty fast though.

Nice snow hike and some huge bear tracks.

Nice.

beautiful easy hike.great vistas.

9/8/2019 I took my eight year old son, and I have to say the intensity level was just about perfect for him. We sat at some pretty amazing view's, and drew some pictures of our landscape. We only ran into 2 groups of people. Very peaceful.

Nice trail, flat around the ridge with great views.

Great trail for hiking and spectacular views. Good for biking too, but tricky. A few invasive species, St. John’swort, Yellow Starthistle, and Cheatgrass on the open slopes. Probably a sign of overgrazing. Watched a gray fox carrying a California ground squirrel on the trail in front of us. Saw a Western rattlesnake and a Gopher snake too. I really appreciated seeing the bench dedicated to Ed Reilly—he taught me a lot about forest health in Southern Oregon and is missed.

Started the trail at the Yellow Gate following Rock Creek Rd. Knowing the Mountain Trail being; Moderate/Difficult, we made an upwards of 2.5mph push. This trail being the hardest to Grayback not only was rewarding but beautiful, every hundred feet you climb the better the view gets. The first night we summited Sugarloaf mt. then it led us into a sort of "Saddle" which we set up camp. This area was windy, but if you can manage to stay towards the wooded section you should be fine. Next day we walked aprox(0.6mi) to a small spring and filled up our bladders. Staying along this trail(South Boundary Tr.) leads us to the intersection w/ the O'Brien trail. Here is a wooden sign with multiple distance and direction gauges. From here you need to decide where to put your bags. There is a small tree up the hill with shade and a flat area shortly upwards. At this point, you're looking straight at the summit and it's just time to go. This should take about an hour to two depending on select variables. The direction we took back was S Boundary Tr heading east towards Mt. Elijah and Bigelow Lakes. From the summit to Lower Bigelow it took us(including detours) 3 1/2 hrs walking an upwards of 3mph. Another great spot to camp with numbers is the closest to the rocks at Bigelow kind of tucked in the corner. To get home from here is very simple, continuing the trail out to the Mt. Elijah you walk about 1mi downhill with few switchbacks. Overall every Grayback trip has variety, stay safe and learn the area! Have fun.

Great trail and enjoyable hike. Went early in the morning 6/17/19 and pretty much was alone.

Nice trail with amazing views. Beautiful mix of wildflowers right now. Hiked this in early morning and had it to ourselves. Very peaceful and serene.

Incredible views of the valley and if fun to watch the paragliders. Started at the trailhead off 238 to get the uphill workout........Did not disappoint for 2.5 miles. Wildflowers galore right now, some at the end of their life.

Great views and very well marked trail (obsessively marked). There is a nice trail head parking area being constructed on the 238 end of the trail but it hasn't been marked yet (odd when compared to the markings along the trail). I think most people are doing this as a nice out and back instead of point to point.

Fantastic views of the Applegate valley! Highly recommend during spring! The flowers are just magical this time of year!

This was our first time on this trial. So beautiful! Yes, watch out for poison oak, but the views are stunning and the wildflowers are blooming! We even found a baby gopher snake on the way back!

Really nice hike. Watch out for the poison oak. It’s all around the trail. Beautiful views and very relaxing. Will do it again soon.

Nice views, easy hike...lower and upper parking lots, for low clearance vehicles, use lower pullout

Beautiful hike with gorgeous views. Not too many people on the trail-which I like. Steep in some areas. Keep a close eye on your kids if they run wild and crazy like mine.

Nice views and pretty easy the first 3 miles. The last 2 head down hill a d are relatively steep. The trail is well cleared, relaxing and make for a pleasant walk.

I just completed this hike for the first time and plan to go back soon! The trail was very well kept with small patches of mud in areas that do not receive much sunlight. Beautiful views of the mountains and valley from the trail. I hiked 5 miles from the trailhead before returning and it took about 4 hours in total. I only saw about 5 other people my entire hike.

I hike this Trail on January 27th. I started from the Sterling Creekside and hiked all the way to Highway 238. the first three miles are pretty level and then it Dives down the last 2 and three quarter miles down to the road I would recommend this Trail to anyone. I read at the start that this is the first section of a 50-mile trail that will connect the Jacksonville Woodlands with the Cathedral Hills in Grants Pass I am anxious to see the BLM complete the whole Trail.

Wed Dec 05 2018

Beautiful views! It’s a pretty easy hike except for about 2 miles on the 238 side. It’s pretty steep there.

Tue Oct 02 2018

absolutely beautiful

Wed Sep 19 2018

Ran in Sept 2018. Starting from hwy 238 the trail starts off as an old overgrown fire road. After a mile or so it turns into single track and is much more pleasant. elevation gain for entire trail is probably close to 1500 ft (not 350 or whatever this app says). the first couple miles are all uphill and moderately steep.

Sun Jun 10 2018

This is a beautiful trail that has gorgeous views and an abundance of wildflowers in the spring. I have run the first 4 miles of this trail two separate times. My first run was in April and the trail was clear. In June, however, many places had grass growing over the trail chest-high and it made for an uncomfortable run. I would recommend this as a good trail for a springtime hike.

Mon May 28 2018